Rays In Narrabeen Lake

Alkor

I am new here but feel instantly very much at home!

These pages and forums are terrific. Up-to-date and not too formal. Congratulations!!!

Some years back I used to get home from work via bus and stepped of it at Narrabeen Tram Shed. Walked over the bridge and dreamed of catching big fish there. Especially in the little bay on the NW end of the bridge where I often could see schools of big mullet cruising. One day I got a huge surprise seeing a ray (about 1-1.2m in diameter) very close to shore in the shallows. Don't know what kind it was.

Has anyone seen or even caught rays in the lake?

All literature I have consumed so far did not mention rays in the lake at all.

Being German I confess to be a 'carp man'. Not really good to eat, unless smoked, but a very good fighting fish when mature.

I would like to take part in a scheme to eradicate this species here in Australia. Is there a kind of a club or group dedicated to this task in the Sydney area? I could spare some time.

Cheers,

Peter

:1welcomeani: alkor,

i have fished narra many times before and have not come across any rays yet but there are plenty of sand flats and areas that would suit them so i suppose there could be.

p.s ive got bit of german in me to my dad hails from their.

cheers pk

they pull harder than "carp" - taste better - that is if you can keep them from the bottom.

You have access to rock headlands on N.beaches - otherwise get a kayak and fish New port, it's bloody amazing what you can catch there.

If you need any help send PM

Welcome to the site. :1welcomeani:

haraka ,

if you dont mind me asking do you man the pittwater moorings newport or the bombora/reef of the newport beach. on low tide ive seen the bommiei must say its a very good bit of structure and if i was a boatie id definitly give it a shot especially after the southerlies just on die down. anything could turn up including som good snapper!!

cheers pk

Thanks guys for the welcome and replies.

Seems that rays are not that rare in the lake as some other sightings and a catch were reported. As for the carp, I prefer to tackle them with light gear and very educated ones (usually the really big daddy's) with unweighted rigs. Just the bait and nothing else.

I have not done much carp fishing here in OZ yet. I pulled a big one out of the Wollondilly near Goodmans Ford by accident. They seem to be everywere.

Yes, Narrabeen Lake is a waterbody with a lot of surprises. I have caught several fish there I could not find described in fishing books or on the net. In my first fishing years here in AU I did not carry a camera with me, so I had to rely on memory. Twice I caught a species shaped like a moonfish, slightly smaller as my hand. The tips of the dorsal and pelvic fins were black and seemed to have no spines, just like the adipose fin of salmon. Caught both on dough while fishing for garfish along Bilarong Reserve.

Went down today to have a look at the huge surf coming in at the entrance and along Narrabeen Beach. Impressive and frightening. There were actually some guys out there on jet skies and surf boards. On Turimetta Beach I watched three Asians preparing to go rock fishing on the head. I thought to hear of them in the news, but they obviously were lucky.

Cheers,

Peter

I have caught several fish there I could not find described in fishing books or on the net. In my first fishing years here in AU I did not carry a camera with me, so I had to rely on memory. Twice I caught a species shaped like a moonfish, slightly smaller as my hand. The tips of the dorsal and pelvic fins were black and seemed to have no spines, just like the adipose fin of salmon. Caught both on dough while fishing for garfish along Bilarong Reserve.

:1welcomeani: Alkor. Check out the "Chipping Norton" report for a picture of what I think you described. Third one down. Most of us call 'em angelfish.

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

:1welcomeani: Alkor. Check out the "Chipping Norton" report for a picture of what I think you described. Third one down. Most of us call 'em angelfish.

Flattieman.

Thanks Flattieman,

That is exactly what I held in my hand years ago. I looked at the Chipping Norton report earlier but did not spot the little bugger. One puzzle solved.

Cheers

There are heaps of rays in narrabeen. I have hooked and landed rays on most trips which I used to fish the lake. I guess the best one which I have managed to land was a 10kilo monster on a metal spoon on a 2-4kg rod. lol Took us 2 hrs to land that thing. It was hilarious seeing to guys on a yak trying to get the ray into the boat. Great fun but not too keen on trying it again any time soon.

The usual way which I seem to get them in the lake is to rig a live mullet on a runing sinker rig and cast them out into the sand patches. Leave some slack and let the mullet do its work. Although I am not targetting them but somehow they always seem to find the bait pretty quick. We also get heaps of other fish from bream, tailor, flatties, long toms and the other usual suspects. Good fun and the mullet fishing are heaps fun when using a real light pole to fish for them. Anyone who thinks that rays dun fight hasn't had one in full flight. Some of the rays which I have hooked take line faster then some of the kings I have hooked!!! Lol had a ray actually jump out of the water too which was really a sight to behold. Its all fun until they stick to the floor and then the hard work comes in.

There are really some huge rays in the lake. Have seen some which would probably be the size and width of a decent table. So do be careful when wading in teh area. they are harmless unless attacked or stepped on.

Since coming to australia, I have released every single ray which I have hooked. But here is a secret- They taste great!! In Singapore they are a great dish with so many ways to cook. The best way to eat them is to cut the wings and spread them on a banana leave and coat the wings with some chilli paste and wack it on a bbq. Fantastic dish folk!!. I know I know most of u guys would think I am mad to even suggest it but trust me have a try and U'll be a convert for life!!!

Regards

DArryl