Upper Colo

pjfrad

All of the Bass talk on here is getting me ichty, so one day over the easter break I'll be heading out to windsor (under the guise of visiting the :wife: father) but then heading to the upper colo for some bass hunting. I've never been up there so can anyone offer any advice on area's to get access, etc...

I've been reading all of the other bass fishing info on here so will be heading to the tackle shop soon to pick up some lures and flies. :yahoo:

Thanks

Peter

There is a reasonable ramp at the mouth of the Colo River heading towards the bridge to no where .It is down a dirt track which only goes for a short distance .You will be able to launch a tinnie there nps and there are some great snags at the mouth and up to 4 or 5 klms then it turns into some rocky spots with weed fringes which should be attacked with small spinnerbaits or surface lures .

Good Luck

Cheers Swordfisherman

Thanks for the reply, is there much in the way of land based options? I might have to get my inflateable out and give that a go if not.

Peter

There is a reasonable ramp at the mouth of the Colo River heading towards the bridge to no where .It is down a dirt track which only goes for a short distance .You will be able to launch a tinnie there nps and there are some great snags at the mouth and up to 4 or 5 klms then it turns into some rocky spots with weed fringes which should be attacked with small spinnerbaits or surface lures .

Good Luck

Cheers Swordfisherman

At Upper Colo you may be able to walk/wade the sand stretches and throw lures into the deeper sections, I have not been up there for a while so dont know if it is still the same.... 2 years+. take the Dirt road from the Bridge on Putty Road and Park near the small bridge/causeway to get access to the river (quite a drive up (and down) the dirt road. try smaller hardbodies and lightly weighted SP's in this area.

At Upper Colo you may be able to walk/wade the sand stretches and throw lures into the deeper sections, I have not been up there for a while so dont know if it is still the same.... 2 years+. take the Dirt road from the Bridge on Putty Road and Park near the small bridge/causeway to get access to the river (quite a drive up (and down) the dirt road. try smaller hardbodies and lightly weighted SP's in this area.

Well I hit the area you described but there wasn't much water at all in there. The :wife: didn't want to walk to far to find pools so the trip was a bit of a loss.

Oh well, next time....

Peter

Peter, try a lot further upstream next time and do it in the summer months. Check Covanovas post in January under the title "colo weekend". He hit the river via the Canoe Creek trail.

sorry you didnt get into them, you do need to do plenty of walking in that area, theres a lot of sand between casts! there are much more easily accesible land-based locations in sydney where you will get fish, thats if the experience of fishing these "semi-wild" locations isnt what you want.

Canoe Creek Is even more walking (from what i understand from guys who have done it) and needs more than just a couple of spare hours.

sorry you didnt get into them, you do need to do plenty of walking in that area, theres a lot of sand between casts! there are much more easily accesible land-based locations in sydney where you will get fish, thats if the experience of fishing these "semi-wild" locations isnt what you want.

Canoe Creek Is even more walking (from what i understand from guys who have done it) and needs more than just a couple of spare hours.

Thank guys, I don't mind a bit of walking and ejoying the scenery whilst fishing but the girlfriend isn't quite as patient :1badmood:

Where abouts in Sydney do you chase bass land based? I have fished Manly Dam but that is the only bass area I could think of.

Peter

Where abouts do you live? or rather how far do you mind traveling :1prop:

Where abouts do you live? or rather how far do you mind traveling :1prop:

I'm in Mosman, I can travel on my motorbike (or when I can con the girlfriend into comming we can take her car :biggrin2: . I don't mind travelling a bit for a days fishing.

Peter