New To Fishing

union

Hey fellas

Im new to fishing and just got myself Rod and reel from k-mart $99 combo. I got a GTS Shimano 4-6kg Rod and 6000 shimano reel.

Anyways i got maxima 15lb line and the bastard snapped doing the knot up on the swival, seemed pretty piss poor to me. Anyways i friend reccommend penn x10 20lb line, but its $27 (300m or 600m not sure). Do penn produce good lines? I saw on ebay that had gillmaster 35lbs 500m for $12.50, anyone heard of this brand?... usually you get for what you pay for ebay and im not too sure.

cheers.

G'day

I've found Maxima to be a very stiff line, not good at all... I wouldn't go near Gillmaster either... If you're looking for a good quality line at a decent price, you can pick up some Berlkey Trilene for aout $5 at BigW. It's definitely more flexible than Maxima and ties good knots. You would probably want to go for something a little lighter than 20lb too! Try 8 lb, that will hold most fish around the estuaries. Lighter line is just a lot easier to manage than the heavier stuff.

Cheers.

G'day

I've found Maxima to be a very stiff line, not good at all... I wouldn't go near Gillmaster either... If you're looking for a good quality line at a decent price, you can pick up some Berlkey Trilene for aout $5 at BigW. It's definitely more flexible than Maxima and ties good knots. You would probably want to go for something a little lighter than 20lb too! Try 8 lb, that will hold most fish around the estuaries. Lighter line is just a lot easier to manage than the heavier stuff.

Cheers.

Well we went fishing at newcastle habour the other night and my mate caught something big (hes running same setup as me but with a penn 20lb line) his line was not strong enough to pull it up so some bloke had to come and hook it up-- everyone came and had a look at it and no one knew what it was. So i wanted a pretty strong line as i also have a 12ft beach rod--- and im going on stocko beach.

BTW the shimano rod i have is a 9ft.

Cheers, i might go out and get a berlkly.

Edited by union

Ive never used that penn x10 stuff before but heard it was alright, theres one line i always use now for some reason. Its Gladiator Invisible Hot Pink, not well known but good quality stuff, and dirt cheap!

I get mine for 6 bucks for a roll of 560 metres 5kg line, and believe me, dont be decived by the price, its darn good stuff, highly visible as well and totally dissapears underwater, also if u can find it try some of the cajun line from shakespeare. And listen to lrrr , stay as light a line as possible.

Good luck out there :1fishing1:

Ive never used that penn x10 stuff before but heard it was alright, theres one line i always use now for some reason. Its Gladiator Invisible Hot Pink, not well known but good quality stuff, and dirt cheap!

I get mine for 6 bucks for a roll of 560 metres 5kg line, and believe me, dont be decived by the price, its darn good stuff, highly visible as well and totally dissapears underwater, also if u can find it try some of the cajun line from shakespeare. And listen to lrrr , stay as light a line as possible.

Good luck out there :1fishing1:

sorry for my ignorance, but how does a heavier line make it harder to work with?

and what size would you reccommend (line size) for beach fishing...(on stockton beach) trying to go for jewies and salmon.

Edited by union

I dind't know you were chasing Jewies off the beach! In that case 20 lb line is probably about right. If you use a heavy line, it is far less sensative than a lighter class, there is also a lot more 'memory' in the line, ie, it stays curled off the spool and you need to use a bigger weight, all of which is bad if you're targeting, say, bream in the estuaries. But for beach fishing, 20 lb is fine, as you'll be after big fish using big leads etc...

I dind't know you were chasing Jewies off the beach! In that case 20 lb line is probably about right. If you use a heavy line, it is far less sensative than a lighter class, there is also a lot more 'memory' in the line, ie, it stays curled off the spool and you need to use a bigger weight, all of which is bad if you're targeting, say, bream in the estuaries. But for beach fishing, 20 lb is fine, as you'll be after big fish using big leads etc...

What he said..... :biggrin2:

I find the Maxima line has a really thick line diameter compared to others & it has that silky kind of a coat that slips on the spool now & again causing minor problems.

The Penn line, has great knot strength but after extensive use gets knicks in the line & you have to chop it off.

The nylon line that I have loved, is the Berkley Trilene Sensation line, you will feel the difference right away & it's worth the extra dollars buying. You can get it from Big. W

On my old eggbeater I was using the Mustad Thor line from K-mart which I liked alot, I liked that more than the Penn line.

Any Berkley mono line is pretty good, so I would go for that name.

I am thinking of buying a spool of the Berkley Iron Silk line, has anybody tried that? :beersmile:

Just used the clear 15lb line with a clinch knot.

I was doing clinch knot on a hook and when i was tightening it the line snapped. I thought shit how my spose to catch a fish. Anyways my mate runs the penn line which is cheaper but hes had no problems with it.