Biggest Ever Fish ?

domza

Does anyone know what might of been the biggest fish caught out of sydney or botany is?

im just curious, and i wonder what it might have been?

im guessing a marlin or a shark would be the biggest ever caught, and it would have been way offshore.

Edited by domza

G`day Fellas ,

ZANE GREY , fabled western writer and Big game fisherman ,Caught a shark so Huge back in the 1930`s off Sydney , that the skipper of the Boat , was forced to jump onto it back , and hack it in half with a broad axe so it would fit inside sydney heads.

Now they couldnt weigh it , because the wharf collased when a Dock crane lifted its top half onto the pier from the water .

Haven`t heard of that one being beaten as yet .

Hick

Edited by OWZAT

i heard a local at abbottsford hooked into a monster out the back of the rowing club. Seems, they had to skull drag it out using a pair of D10 Cats. When it finally was out, the water level in the harbour dropped 3 inches. Mind you this was back a few years now and the story might have distorted a little over the years. If we were talking about the smallest fish out of the harbour, i would have been a contender on many occasions.

G`day Fellas ,

Harrold , that was in 1981 mate , and I was operating one of those Cats , so I can let you in on a secret .

The main cable kept snapping , so me and the other operator , spent 4 hours plaiting 4 cables together to gain the required strenth to pull the bugger out.

Then , the bloke wot caught it , asked us to drag it 5 miles up the highway to peel the skin off it , so he could fillet it with a large chain saw .

He also had a 16 wheeler refrigerated Pantech standing by to take it to the markets.

Bloody hard work that night , I can tell ya!.

Mick

G`day Fellas ,

Harrold , it truly was big , why even The Scales were put to good use mate .

A fella came down to the site in a tip truck , and offered the Angler $100.00 for the lot , and he took it.

The fella , athough a shop owner , did wood turning as a hoby , and was stoked when I jumped onto my Backhoe and loaded them all onto the truck for him .

They finished up as umbrellas and sun shades for protecting customers at His sidewalk cafe in Parramatta .

Now thats what I call value adding !.

Mick

Edited by OWZAT

The biggest fish is a tiger shark of 623kg caught 22 Februbary 1939 on 60kg tackle out of Sydney only a few miles out around the Peak

on the 17 May1959 a large tiger shark of 591kg was taken on 24kg tackle normally not the time of year for tigers in Sydney

The most outstanding capture is a tiger shark of 619kg taken on 15kg tackle in 1996 out of Lake Macquarie.

Cheers

Martin

G`day Fellas ,

Harrold , it truly was big , why even The Scales were put to good use mate .

A fella came down to the site in a tip truck , and offered the Angler $100.00 for the lot , and he took it.

The fella , athough a shop owner , did wood turning as a hoby , and was stoked when I jumped onto my Backhoe and loaded them all onto the truck for him .

They finished up as umbrellas and sun shades for protecting customers at His sidewalk cafe in Parramatta .

Now thats what I call value adding !.

Mick

wow, now thats big

surely you would have taken a few pictures of it??

G`day Fellas ,

Domza , I didn`t have a camera with me at the time , but the reporter who covered the story said he would send us all a 10X4 .

Needlesss to say , he did not keep his promise , and the newspaper clippings have long since faded into oblivion .

If only they would have had Computers , Digi cameras and Dvd Burners way back then Eh Mate ?.

MIck

Mick, i know we have been talking about Sydney Harbour fish and certainly there have been 1 or 2 rather large ones taken. But they pale into nothing compared to the beauty they caught at Chernobyl a year or so ago. I know you were there when that record tadpole was taken, tell us about that.

Edited by harold

wheres the pic?

looks black to me

CFD

Crazy ,

Thats what radiation does to Pictures Mate , scary Huh ??.

But If you ask Harrold nicely , he might just lend you his 3D Glasses so you can see the Tadpole too.

I wouldn`t let the Kids see it though.

Mick

Edited by OWZAT

all i can say is un$%@*&()(ing believable. Just mind boggling. Did they eat it???

Harold ,

The 5 fellas that ate most of the Tadpole died soon after.

But their memory lives on , because Gorbachov placed their remains in a huge glass case in in RED Square , and now , they supply most of the lighting for the entire city .

Mick

Obviously nowhere near as big as some of the fish you guys have mentioned :tease: but here's a passage from one of no no no's articles on Middle Harbour. Great reading!

Back in the '50s, the navy jetty off Balmoral earnt it self a formidable reputation for enormous, tackle breaking fish living amongst its pylons. Everybody assumed that they were kingies, as big kings were occasionally spotted cruising around and taking big live baits. But despite attempts by naval personnel with all manner of obscenely heavy tackle including venetian blind cord on a trailer winch and ski rope tied to a army forklift, nothing was ever positively identified. In 1968, the navy jetty was opened to the public, but even experienced anglers with more modern game tackle were unable to land these mystery fish. In the mid-seventies, a guy by the name of Chris Ward turned up with the latest in stand-up game tackle. This included a gimbal bucket and all manner of clips and harnesses. The reel was loaded with venetian blind cord and the drag cranked up to the max. It wasn't long before Chris's big bait was eaten but immediately Chris realized he had made a big mistake. The drag on the reel would not give and as he was heavily strapped to the rod he was unable to let go. To the horror of the onlookers, Chris was dragged across wooden planks and into the water. The body was never recovered and after a court hearing the jetty was again closed to the public on liability grounds.

In 1977, the mystery was finally solved when a prawn trawler working off Gladesville entangled a 376lb black cod (now fully protected) in its net. The cod was lying on the deck and one of the trawler men noticed heavy cord coming from the fish's mouth and leading into the water. The cord was retrieved to revealed a hideous discovery. A rod, reel and gimball harness containing the skeletal remains of a human torso rose up out of the water. The head arms and legs were missing so police were unable to ID the remains but decorative binding on the lower section of the custom built rod butt spelt out the word 'Mango'. Chris Ward originally came from the Queensland town of Bowen where he had grown up on his fathers Mango farm. A quick check with his old school mates revealed that 'mango' had indeed been his nick name.

Mate those are some great stories, really makes you wonder, I once read an article that when the first setllers came to Oz they anchored up where sow and pigs lies today. There diaries talk about what they were eating for food and they describe to a tea massive Yellow Fin tuna being caught at sow and pigs, some up past 2 metres. Goes to show you what populating sydney has done for the fishing

Edited by netic