Fuel Prices

Guest Sea Tow Botany

Guest Sea Tow Botany

For a long weekend not many boats on the water, I know we have just had one the week before and some interesting winds but still.

Question: Have you cut back on using your boat because of the steady increase in fuel prices or is it not an issue?

Dave

Sea Tow Botany Bay

For a long weekend not many boats on the water, I know we have just had one the week before and some interesting winds but still.

Question: Have you cut back on using your boat because of the steady increase in fuel prices or is it not an issue?

Dave

Sea Tow Botany Bay

Hasn't stopped me (thanks to the 4 stroke), however we are tending to stick around the local waterways. This is just due to towing the boat does tend to suck more petrol.

This may not be a very popular response but its only my opinion remember.

Yes, fuel prices are on the rise but its still pretty cheap compared to world prices. We are in a pretty well off country to and the cost of fuel based on that is quite good.

Ok its gone up say 20c of late but that doesnt mean a huge amount over a fuel tank in the boat. A bag of plastics maybe ? and look how many of those we all have !

I think some people get a bit carried away with fuel price and forget how much they spend on other things of less importance.

Whilst its going up it wont slow me down at all from using the boat.

This may not be a very popular response but its only my opinion remember.

Yes, fuel prices are on the rise but its still pretty cheap compared to world prices. We are in a pretty well off country to and the cost of fuel based on that is quite good.

Ok its gone up say 20c of late but that doesnt mean a huge amount over a fuel tank in the boat. A bag of plastics maybe ? and look how many of those we all have !

I think some people get a bit carried away with fuel price and forget how much they spend on other things of less importance.

Whilst its going up it wont slow me down at all from using the boat.

makes no difference to me, i would only use 10-20L in a day with the 50hp...

but...

it would really put me off getting a boat with any kind of serious serious HP, i.e: 130hp+

I hear ya Sammy but you know what, its all relative.

A mate of mine owns a 60 footer. Cost him $6000.00 to fill the tank and go fishing for the weekend. Fark me i hear you say. well yes, BUT remember : He who can afford the boat, can afford the fuel.

Its still sux with it going up though.

Guest Jewel

"He who can afford the boat, can afford the fuel."

True to a point, however a variation of around 10% on a weekly or daily basis is a little hard to cop, particularily when "WORLD PRICES" always seem to jump around long weekends or holidays.

In a lot of cases folks dont always have a additional spare $30 for boat fuel and as such have to curb their leisure activities. To hell with us being cheap compared to world prices, we are here and our prices have increased significantlyover a relatively short space of time...... what happens elsewhere is not really relavent to most people.

So for some of us (fortunately myself not included) these small rises are significant and cause some sort of trade off to happen.

A fella I know has a boat that eats 480l/h at full noise........... that hurts.

Dave

Sea Tow Botany Bay

G'day Dave, saw you cruising for business around La Perouse (Frenchman’s Bay) a couple of weeks ago, I haven’t stop using the boat just putting the boat in closer to my destination. It doesn't hit me that much as I have a company car but if I hat to pay for both car and boat fuel it would cost me $93.10 for the car and $119.70 for the boat ($1.33 p/l at 70L/90L)

That’s $212.80 to fill both up :1yikes: and at that price it would show less on the trip meter.

my 9.8 HP tohatsu uses nearly no fuel. i use about 2.5 litres per trip! :thumbup:

BTW i go a fair way eg captain cook bridge to wonie or oatly

You can't complain about that Cam.

I use about 20-25 litres per trip with my 90 hp yammie.

So I havn't really felt the price rise there it is only with my tow vehicle that I have felt the price of petrol as it uses a heap of fuel and I have to tow the boat so far just to get her in the drink.

Regards

Paul

The 5 horse on the 10 ft tinnie uses maybe $25 for the whole season so its no worry to me.

What scares me is that the price of EVERYTHING ELSE will be going up because of the fuel hikes

Guest Big-Banana

My 175 optimax was good on fuel using about 1/4 of a tank to the shelf, trolling and back. Now its using a lot more. I think its running a bit richer using a lot more fuel and oil. Its always topped up just in case so its about $120 before we get in the water.

I have a 115hp 2st yammie on my 5M quinnie & i usually use around 1/4 of a tank (65ltr) each trip.

It doenst bother me cause i dont get out as much as everyone else, so it can do me at least 3 trips (have to fix that problem :1badmood: )

But the luxury of a company car does help!