What Ate My Lure?

Guest Big-Banana

Guest Big-Banana

Gday,

Was trolling tuna lures around 10km north west of the Broken Bay wide fad and had a huge hit on my tld 25. As soon as I picked it up and striked with the lever drag, all pressure was lost. My lure chomped in half? Got me wondering anyways.

The run was as fast as anything Ive seen before.

Any ideas? :wacko:

Gday,

Was trolling tuna lures around 10km north west of the Broken Bay wide fad and had a huge hit on my tld 25. As soon as I picked it up and striked with the lever drag, all pressure was lost. My lure chomped in half? Got me wondering anyways.

The run was as fast as anything Ive seen before.

Any ideas? :wacko:

wahoo

Guest Big-Banana

Here a photo...post-16-1145965313_thumb.jpg

wahoo

Didnt think we got them down this far.

Edited by Big-Banana

Depending on the water Wahoo & Spanish Mackerel are possible off Sydney & further south. Wahoo have been taken at Narooma. Back in 93 I got a Spaniard around 20 kilos at BB Wide on a Slimey Mackerel skip bait when I was after Marlin. Water temp was around 24 degrees.

A very tasty bycatch that was :biggrin2:

Over the last 15 years Spotted Mackerel have been taken regularly up in Cowan Creek.

Guest Big-Banana

fish your reels in strike and you probably would have nailed that fish! Also make sure hooks are razor sharp.

They were. Tight enough anyhow. Still peeling off 15kg. Hooks are always sharp. Who knows could have been a real nice fish too.

They were. Tight enough anyhow. Still peeling off 15kg. Hooks are always sharp. Who knows could have been a real nice fish too.

They apply the chomp lightning fast then turn around and pick up the pieces. Need a stinger hook to get consistently them on the troll

Out of the 8 australian records 4 wahoo, sydney/botany hold 4 of them with the biggest being 44kg(thats just on 100lbs :wacko: )

I caught a 100lb'er non 24kg(possible record fish) in cairns one year and it was a whopper.

Wahoo have super vision and a think they can see badly rigged hooks.

hiding hooks in rigs works well for them and mostly twin hook rigs are better.

Sydney has experienced a good wahoo bite this year with many reports of captures.

changa