Tips For Beach Fishing

frankman

Hi people, can someone out there please give me some hints and tips for beach fishing? Where and when to go what burley if any do I use and what are the best baits. I only have one beach rod but im not sure how to go about it as I have been told that you need to target a certain fish species and rig up accordingly!

thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give me.

Craig

Hi people, can someone out there please give me some hints and tips for beach fishing? Where and when to go what burley if any do I use and what are the best baits. I only have one beach rod but im not sure how to go about it as I have been told that you need to target a certain fish species and rig up accordingly!

thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give me.

Craig

G'day Craig, :1welcomeani: to the site. There are three main types of beachfishing that you're likely to want to do - mulloway/sharks, salmon/tailor/flathead and bream/whiting.

For the mulloway(jewfish/jewies/jews) and sharks (often an unwanted bycatch), you'll need a long, "heavy" rod (at least 12ft), an 8000+ sized reel, 30-50lb monofilament (or almost double-poundage for braid) main line, large (8/0 +) octopus or suicide hooks, large star and ball sinkers, 60-100lb trace line and hefty swivels. The common rig for jeiws is to use a trace of about 50cm, with two of the large hooks snelled to the end. At the other end, above a swivel sits the ball sinker. Everyone, however, seems to have their own rigs and I'm sure they'll put in their 2c worth. Baits should be as fresh as possible, with squid, mullet, tailor, salmon, pike, slimy mackeral and yellowtail all making the list. These baits should be cast into a deep gutter or rip on a high tide at night. Some say that a no- or new- moonphase is best. If fishing for sharks, used a fish-based berley.

For tailor, flathead and salmon, you'll need a 10-12ft "medium-heavy" rod, a 6000-8000 sized reel, 20-30lb mono main line, ganged hooks in 3/0-5/0 sizes (to fit the pilchards you're using), medium-sized ball and star sinkers, 30-50lb trace line (with wire being preferred for tailor alone, at night), medium-sized swivels and pilchards- as previously mentioned- as bait. The rig required consists of the ganged hooks at one end of 65cm of 30lb trace, with a swivel at the other, above which runs a star or ball sinker. The baits should be cast into a gutter or rip either during the day or at night. Burley (if chasing salmon and tailor only) should consist of pilchard pieces, however, remember that berley often attracts sharks.

For bream and whiting, you should employ a 7-8ft "medium-light" or "light" rod, a 3000-4000 sized reel, 12lb-20lb mono main line, suicide and long-shank hooks between sizes 6 and 2, 15-25lb trace line, small swivels and medium-small ball sinkers. The rig should consist of a hook at one end of a 50-60cm trace and a swivel at the other end, above which should run a ball sinker. For whiting, worms (beach-, tube-, blood-, squirt-) should be used on a long shank hook. Some whiting fishermen thread a piece of red plastic tubing and a bead above their hook to attract the whiting. For bream, prawns, chicken gut or pilchard fillets could be used on a suicide hook. Bream are often much less fussy than whiting, with steak, chicken and a host of other baits potentially enticing a bream. Berley for bream and whiting, if any, could be a grainy/bready mix, possibly spiced up with a bit of tuna oil.

Hope this helps,

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

G'day Craig, :1welcomeani: to the site. There are three main types of beachfishing that you're likely to want to do - mulloway/sharks, salmon/tailor/flathead and bream/whiting.

For the mulloway(jewfish/jewies/jews) and sharks (often an unwanted bycatch), you'll need a long, "heavy" rod (at least 12ft), an 8000+ sized reel, 30-50lb monofilament (or almost double-poundage for braid) main line, large (8/0 +) octopus or suicide hooks, large star and ball sinkers, 60-100lb trace line and hefty swivels. The common rig for jeiws is to use a trace of about 50cm, with two of the large hooks snelled to the end. At the other end, above a swivel sits the ball sinker. Everyone, however, seems to have their own rigs and I'm sure they'll put in their 2c worth. Baits should be as fresh as possible, with squid, mullet, tailor, salmon, pike, slimy mackeral and yellowtail all making the list. These baits should be cast into a deep gutter or rip on a high tide at night. Some say that a no- or new- moonphase is best. If fishing for sharks, used a fish-based berley.

For tailor, flathead and salmon, you'll need a 10-12ft "medium-heavy" rod, a 6000-8000 sized reel, 20-30lb mono main line, ganged hooks in 3/0-5/0 sizes (to fit the pilchards you're using), medium-sized ball and star sinkers, 30-50lb trace line (with wire being preferred for tailor alone, at night), medium-sized swivels and pilchards- as previously mentioned- as bait. The rig required consists of the ganged hooks at one end of 65cm of 30lb trace, with a swivel at the other, above which runs a star or ball sinker. The baits should be cast into a gutter or rip either during the day or at night. Burley (if chasing salmon and tailor only) should consist of pilchard pieces, however, remember that berley often attracts sharks.

For bream and whiting, you should employ a 7-8ft "medium-light" or "light" rod, a 3000-4000 sized reel, 12lb-20lb mono main line, suicide and long-shank hooks between sizes 6 and 2, 15-25lb trace line, small swivels and medium-small ball sinkers. The rig should consist of a hook at one end of a 50-60cm trace and a swivel at the other end, above which should run a ball sinker. For whiting, worms (beach-, tube-, blood-, squirt-) should be used on a long shank hook. Some whiting fishermen thread a piece of red plastic tubing and a bead above their hook to attract the whiting. For bream, prawns, chicken gut or pilchard fillets could be used on a suicide hook. Bream are often much less fussy than whiting, with steak, chicken and a host of other baits potentially enticing a bream. Berley for bream and whiting, if any, could be a grainy/bready mix, possibly spiced up with a bit of tuna oil.

Hope this helps,

Flattieman.

Good info there.

One question, a common place for jews is under stockton bridge, however the ground is so rocky that you get snagged on everything, anyway to get around this? On bigger bait (live bait) how do you go about hooking them? Around the spine (tail/mid/eye)?

Edited by union

Good info there.

One question, a common place for jews is under stockton bridge, however the ground is so rocky that you get snagged on everything, anyway to get around this? On bigger bait (live bait) how do you go about hooking them? Around the spine (tail/mid/eye)?

Thanks. That was a beauty of a tailor pic that you posted - well done to your mate. There is a way to get around the snagging problem - just give me a sec and I'll draw the rig up in paint. With a livie, put one hook through its nose and the other through its mid-section. A stinger treble is often good for this purpose.

Flattieman.

Thanks. That was a beauty of a tailor pic that you posted - well done to your mate. There is a way to get around the snagging problem - just give me a sec and I'll draw the rig up in paint. With a livie, put one hook through its nose and the other through its mid-section. A stinger treble is often good for this purpose.

Flattieman.

Here it is.

post-1466-1146459859_thumb.jpg

Flattieman.

cheers thanks

How do you cast that without it getting tangled up?

No probs. I don't really know - it was shown to me by a guy who seems to have caught HEAPS of jewies, though - so there must be a way.

Flattieman.

ya dont...its gonna get tangled and i bet ya my grand mother that star sinker is gonna get snagged on a rock

That may be right. Possibly between two rocks. I've only ever seen it used from the beach, and, as I say, it's not my rig. Just making suggestions.

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

Agree with Flattieman - though would put it more simple (since I am more simple in the head).

Bream, whiting, flatties: running ball sinker rig (don't be afriad of big sinkers) with prawns, pippis, nippers or beachworms (live is best, fresh is still good)

Tailor and Salmon: Paternoster rig with ganged hooks and pillies.

Always fish the deepest gutter you can find (although if specifically targeting whiting you would fish the shallow edges of the gutter and right at your feet in the shorebreak).

Forget about jewies as they're a specialty proposition and you'll need specialty gear that is not suitable to the other forms of beachfishing.

One f*&kn long (12ft) rod and reel, spooled with 5 - 10kg line should be fine for all of the above.

Lotta people swear by the light gear for beachfishing but it's all crap - if you really want to fish light then just buy a spool of 6lb for the leader but keep a heavyer mainline. My mainline is 20lb berkley mono and I catch a lot of fish off the beach (mostly whiting, funnily enough).

Mondo.

They're knots that bind large hooks to a trace. I'll see if I can find a demo.

Flattieman.

oh ok, thats what i thought, but i thought id double check... cheers thanks for all your help.

Agree with Flattieman - though would put it more simple (since I am more simple in the head).

Bream, whiting, flatties: running ball sinker rig (don't be afriad of big sinkers) with prawns, pippis, nippers or beachworms (live is best, fresh is still good)

Tailor and Salmon: Paternoster rig with ganged hooks and pillies.

Always fish the deepest gutter you can find (although if specifically targeting whiting you would fish the shallow edges of the gutter and right at your feet in the shorebreak).

Forget about jewies as they're a specialty proposition and you'll need specialty gear that is not suitable to the other forms of beachfishing.

One f*&kn long (12ft) rod and reel, spooled with 5 - 10kg line should be fine for all of the above.

Lotta people swear by the light gear for beachfishing but it's all crap - if you really want to fish light then just buy a spool of 6lb for the leader but keep a heavyer mainline. My mainline is 20lb berkley mono and I catch a lot of fish off the beach (mostly whiting, funnily enough).

Mondo.

I've got a 60lb steel trace with a 20lb line running on a 12foot thick beach rod (i compare this to my mates 12 footer and mines a shitload thicker).. i m thinking about getting a 30lb main line?

I've also got a 100lb line that i can use somewhere too.

Does line lose its strength over time in not used? say 5 years?

I've got a 60lb steel trace with a 20lb line running on a 12foot thick beach rod (i compare this to my mates 12 footer and mines a shitload thicker).. i m thinking about getting a 30lb main line?

I've also got a 100lb line that i can use somewhere too.

Does line lose its strength over time in not used? say 5 years?

For monofilament lines, remember that often 25% of the breaking strain is lost at the knot, so 20lb is more like 15lb at the knot. If the average jewfish at Stockton is around 40lb, consider upsizing even more. The simple answer to the line weakness over time question is yes. I'm not sure whether jewies are deterred by metal trces, but that 100lb sounds OK if you can tie a knot with it. I use 60lb for traces.

Flattieman.

For monofilament lines, remember that often 25% of the breaking strain is lost at the knot, so 20lb is more like 15lb at the knot. If the average jewfish at Stockton is around 40lb, consider upsizing even more. The simple answer to the line weakness over time question is yes. I'm not sure whether jewies are deterred by metal trces, but that 100lb sounds OK if you can tie a knot with it. I use 60lb for traces.

Flattieman.

Yeh i have plyers to tie the 100lb.

I think im going to go and buy a bigger real then put a heavy line on there.

Union - Flattieman is right again.

Better to use a 100lb leader than the 60lb steel trace. There's no need for metal trace in a Jewie rig as they don't really have teeth and therefore aren't going to give a mono leader too much trouble.

100lb is a lot of weight though. You can get fairly cheap 60lb trace line that will make things a bit easier for you when it comes to tying knots, partiularly if you want to tie snells.

If you want to chase jewies you've gotta try to get the best gear - they are few are far-between enough already without undermining your chances further with second-rate line.

Mondo