Monstrous Cuttlefish/sea Krakken

barrykrocker

:1prop:

I found a big dead cuttie in the water off sth head. It was intact (no obvious cause of death) and it must have been +6/7 kgs. I didn't have a camera but I brought home its beak, shell and candles (pictured) the candles splayed out were 65 cms. Just thought the photo may be of interest to some people.

CIMG3288.jpg

I found a big dead cuttie in the water off sth head. It was intact (no obvious cause of death) and it must have been +6/7 kgs. I didn't have a camera but I brought home its beak, shell and candles (pictured) the candles splayed out were 65 cms. Just thought the photo may be of interest to some people.

CIMG3288.jpg

Wow!!! That's absolutely huge, even for cuttlefish!!! :1yikes::1yikes::1yikes: What did you do with the rest?

Flattieman.

Wow!!! That's absolutely huge, even for cuttlefish!!! :1yikes::1yikes::1yikes: What did you do with the rest?

Flattieman.

I used some as kingie bait to no avail, and threw the rest away because i'm not going to get a chance to go fishing for a while and couldn't have its taking up my entire freezer !

Apparently they die after they spawn.

Its pretty common to see them floating on the surface during the colder months and as already mentioned the Snapper love 'em.

I caught one a couple of years ago that wouldn't fit into a 20ltr bucket, easily over 10kg.

Casting an unweighted bait at a dead floating cuttlefish & letting it sink well down under it can produce some great Snapper. Well worth the effort to do it :biggrin2: Just remember to get downwind of the dead cuttley & cast into the wind. You don't want to drift in on top of it. Use a big bait of cuttlefish with HEAPS of hook exposed.

The easiest way of finding them is look for birds picking them.

Taken some great snapper using this method & trust me a 5 kg red hooked on the surface power dives big time. It's great sport.

Guest Big-Banana

Dont they die after spawning? But out wide we used to find the shells but nothing else. Thats a lot of cuttlefish.

Look at the size of the beak that used to be on that thing!!!! It would eat your arm off!!!!!

Last year about this time (May/June) Geoff and I came across heaps of them floating on the surface while fishing outside. Some in tact and some were eaten, the rest were just the cuttle bone.

I guess its that time of year again.

Man, the rotten ones really stink though!!!!! :thumbdown::wacko:

Edited by mottyman

Makes me wonder if the lack of boat traffic during weekdays means the snapper don't spook

Big reds are very spooky when surface feeding on cuttlies. Staying as far away as possible & getting a good long cast in helps as does letting the bait go well down before retreiving it. It's really impoortant not to let the boat drift close to them also as the boat shadow sends them packing quick smart.

Interesting that they die on mass this time of year. Mine was floating inside of Sth head, off the nudey beach, but i'll be sure to drift some baits near any that I find offshore

Ken, I remember an article written in a magazine outlining a similar technique to yours. rom menory, it was "Opera Houses [Cuttlefish] and Winter Reds". Seems deadly from what you say.

Flattieman.

CIMG3288.jpg

Wow, i found a dead cuttle on the rocks in maroubra 2 years ago almost 12kgs we were eating and fishing off it for a year! :yahoo: