What Reels The One For Me?

smole82

G'day

im thinkin of upgrading my reel. i don't wanna spend too much but i want a good reliable reel. plus im lookin for a good all round reel for a bit of evcerything.

any suggestions?

thanks, catchya l8er.

could you narrow the criteria down a bit?

you may find you will get more bites

ie.

- your current gear;

- your experience;

- an idea of what you want to use it for (Sp's, bottom bashing, trolling, livies, bait fishing etc);

- budget range

and anything else you can think of throwing into the mix to get the best ideas to suit your needs...

and :1welcomeani: to the site

cheers,

CFD

yeah sure

i spose i want a reel for alot of land based bottom fishing and the occasionaly the odd sp. im used to using bait but i would love to move on to sps and lures. ive done alot of ya standard calm water estuary fishin for things like lizards and bream and sometimes off the back of a dingy but thats about it. i guess id want to spend no more than 200?

thanks mate, cheers.

could you narrow the criteria down a bit?

you may find you will get more bites

ie.

- your current gear;

- your experience;

- an idea of what you want to use it for (Sp's, bottom bashing, trolling, livies, bait fishing etc);

- budget range

and anything else you can think of throwing into the mix to get the best ideas to suit your needs...

and :1welcomeani: to the site

cheers,

CFD

:1welcomeani: . I'd use a mid-range Shimano in a 2500 size for that work. Stradic, Symetre, Sahara and Sedona seem to be pretty mid-range. I'm sure CFD'll back me up.

Flattieman.

sure will...

you can pik up the symetre's at the moment at an excellent price all round... got mine for $130, they are one down from a stradic i think, excellent drag systems and very smooth. they dont lay the line as quick as a sahara so the line is more evenly spread.

i love mine, got it in the 2500 size and spooled with 6lb fireline... watch out fishies

im a shimano man true and true

CFD

That's pretty cheap. I also love Shimano. Symetres are one down from Stradics.

Flattieman.

Guest Saqa

what gauntlet is that?

all i use is the pink stuff, i find it more durable, tougher and holds its strength better (probably why you'll find most places charge and xtra $5 for it).

i have a spool of the grey smoke crap and thats all it is... crap, cant see where its casting, laying on the spool, where the fish is running and ive found it to snap at knots more regulary (i tie a pretty decent knot).

what does everyone else think regarding fireline colour?

CFD

Me :1prop: giving him cheek now that I am using Fins on mine and he just got a symetre loaded with pink

I'm using 4lb grey for decent size bream and flatties...haven't had any problems with the line snapping, but the colour has gone to a light grey/white. Do find that it's hard to see where the fish is running.

How long is the lifetime of the line when used a couple of times a week?

Do the pink, green or yellow versions spook the fish at all? I do use an invisible leader.

Cheers.

Kit

Guest Saqa

I'm using 4lb grey for decent size bream and flatties...haven't had any problems with the line snapping, but the colour has gone to a light grey/white. Do find that it's hard to see where the fish is running.

How long is the lifetime of the line when used a couple of times a week?

Do the pink, green or yellow versions spook the fish at all? I do use an invisible leader.

Cheers.

Kit

Line colours wont spook fish if leader is used. Gelspun lasts years, even with heavy use. The colour wearing off is just the dye. GSP doesnt retain colour very well. Doesnt harm the line in any way. If it has gone pale then just soak it in some bright fabric dye and you will be able to see it better

Guest Saqa

how do you find that goes on the cast?

get much tip wrap?

limp sinking line doesnt piss you off?

i use FINS on my charter special, love it for bottom work, trolling and live baiting.

have been put off using it to spin because i hear its not very good at casting.

FINS is a great braid

btw, as i have mentioned before, shades of pink and red are the first colours to become invisible when passed through the water light spectrum thingy majigy???

CFD

Had some problems initialy with the fine stuff on first use but now with a slightly decreased load it casts nicely. feels heavier then equivelnent thickness fileline and doesnt get the kinks when loose. I now have a few thousand meters of this stuff spread between a few reels

totally Agree with the raiders on the shimanos for the quallity. If you don't quite have the bucks to spend on one, could also possibly suggest an Okuma EFS20/30 epix. Not quite the quality of shimano but still for 150-160$ gets you good line capacity, nice size and a 6.2.1 retrieve to belt it in when the pelagics are about.

If you have $200, you can get a 2500 Stradic for $185 so that leaves $15 for your line. If you want an all rounder and are using heavier soft plastics then the 4000 series is only $229 and would be a lot better for more situations. If like me you are a Shimano fan then you cant go wrong for that money, the 10 year warranty is some peace of mind and the smoooooooth as silk drag is sweet........ so buy em both!!!!!!!

Happy Shopping

Matt

Guest wayneo

boys i dont know where you guys get your gear but i dont think your tackle shop looks after you guys at all i can get shimano 6500 baitrunners for under $200.you guys are serious fishos and you let your tackle shops

rip you off, shop around and fight for your money and you will def get better deals and more value for money.let em know what you want and what your prepared to pay and then go from shop to shop and get your best price they will all want your business so do it and dont ever settle for what ever price is on the tag thats just a starting price like anything

cheers wayneo