Winter Sportfish

abiasin

Hello everyone,

I have only had my boat for the summer and i was wondering what sportsfish there are to be had in winter as i have had so much fun chasing kingies il go crazy if i go back to bream and flatties.

i was wondering what species there are in winter to be accessed by a small fibreglass runabout.

any info on species, rigs and places would be wonderful.

cheers guys. :thumbup:

Hi, mate i also love chasing my summer species, Kings, Tunas and Dollies.

The only light sportfish you can get through winter is Australian Salmon, Which are ok fighters but a terrible table fish (as i have been told seeing i dont eat fish).

You can still chase kings but it is hard to find them, both the Harbour and Pittwater hold a good number of residents but you need to find where they are. If you do get some residents they will be a real good size.

Other than that you can get some Tailor, which on light gear can be fun. But unfortunately in Sydney there are not many options when fishing the harbour during winter. Thats why my boat has a rest for 6 months...Its too bloody cold anyway...

Guest Big-Banana

Get offshore if you can, some of my best days fishing are in Winter. Get liveys, troll headlands and then hit the close reefs for some awesome eating fish and pretty good sport too. I love winter fishing.

Thanx heaps evryone,

my boat is good enuf to hit the washes on the headlands and prob stick to about 2-3 kms offshore conditions permitting so i will definatelygive all those tips a go thats for sure.

Tailor and sambos are good supplements i suppose and do wonders for wetting the appetite for the next kingie season.

tight line to all and thankyou guys again. :thumbup:

Guest Big-Banana

Could you elaborate on the drummer fishing please?

Is it as simple as berley with bread and chuck out blueswimmer crab bait or peeled prawns?

Does anyone fish for drummer from a boat?

My mate is very keen on this sort of fishing, all I know is he burleys heavily with bread and fishes with it also. Cheap way of fishing. Caught some ripper drummer off the stones too. Id like to get into wash fishing too.