No Jewies But 1 For The Pot

humesy

Howdy Raiders,

i have fished the last two nights, putting the hours in pursuit of jewies. am i right in thinking at least half of us raiders are jewie obsessed? must be those pics coming from the mid north coast way.

Anyway, my favourite hunting ground at this time of year is upstream Middle Harbour. Thursday was an interesting mix. using live tailor, i bagged a 65cm flattie and a thumper tailor (both returned), maybe 50cm. Biggest tailor i have ever seen in those parts by a long shot. those hungry fellas aren't averse to eating their young.

last night, just 1 keeper, a 50 cm flattie, on a SP. (only my 4th success on the SP's but they always leave me feeling very clever with myself). then i thought i was on. there was fooling about on the baitrunner for a good 5 minutes. i was thinking either another lizard or could it be???? i stood with rod in hand, blood pumping ready for the big run. slowly, slowly it was taking line in freespool. ah bugger it, time to strike. i am on and the fight begins. fight is won but the result.... one dirty big pike eel. :thumbdown: hideous damn thing. he kept the hooks, i kept the flattie.

plenty of surface action both nights and dissapointed to be jewless. should i try for third time lucky or should i get a life? :tease: ah to hell with it. i'll give you the report tomorrow.

PS, everywhere i fish in the harbour is absolutely thick with tailor these days. should they reclassified as a baitfish. i know none of us would dream of putting on a live tailor shorter than 30cm but do you think it would make a big difference if we did?

Cheers all.

good read mate. unlucky with the eel. I myself is not jew obessessed but then again I havent really tried targetting them. They seem to be a difficult species to catch with alot of hours and fuss about it. Maybe im not patient enough for it, plus i dont have the gear for jewies.

looking forward to your report.

cheers

kantong

Sounds like you had yourself some fun there, i am beginning to find myself obsessed with trying to catch one. what ever i have done in the past has come to nil, but hopefully tonite i will come up trumps. fingers crossed.

good work mate cheers.

hey nice report, where abouts upstream do you fish as i am close to that area if you dont mind me asking

cheers snapn

No offence dude but that signiture is a little scary.

Fished last night. another big flattie but still no jew.

ah well

Nice first report. :thumbup: How big was the other "big flattie"?

Flattieman.

Last night's flattie was 65 again approx. it was a lot thicker though. seems like plenty to be had at the moment.

humesy

Last night's flattie was 65 again approx. it was a lot thicker though. seems like plenty to be had at the moment.

humesy

Nice! They've been hard to find for many people in Botany Bay. It's the right time of year for bigguns!

Flattieman.

PS, everywhere i fish in the harbour is absolutely thick with tailor these days. should they reclassified as a baitfish. i know none of us would dream of putting on a live tailor shorter than 30cm but do you think it would make a big difference if we did?

Cheers all.

I can’t see the reason why tailor under 30cm couldn’t be used a LIVE bait the same rule as whiting because there are stacks of little tailor about.