Botany Bay 29/5

Sammy

Headed out for a bash in the Bay yesterday as the conditions looked favourable early on and I was hanging for a fish so work was easily 're-arranged' :biggrin2: Targeted all the usual suspects early on as we were on the drink by 6am. We landed a few nice Bream and lost another couple big ones due to a scrappy leader that I thought I could get one more session out of, serves me right for being lazy as this would have been the fish of the day for sure. The most productive spots worked out to be a drift between the runways and a nice drift by the beaches outside Lady Robinson where a couple of flatties,flounder and Tailor were produced.

One interesting thing that had us gob smacked for the rest of the day was when we were pulling up one of the stock standard 20cm or so Snapper , we saw an almighty splash before us and then another one the quickest bend in the rod you'll ever see and then on retrieval just the head of poor buggar of a snapper :1yikes: My mate called it for a King but I thought massive Tailor ?? as it was a clean cut..I only saw the flash and it looked huge he reckons it was at least 70cm or so but either way this was discussed for a great part of the day as you could imagine.

Wind picked up early morning around 11am and we had a nice mixed bag plus a few missed ones so we called it a day. Great day on the water and even more talking points about the one that got away :thumbup:

Tight Lines Sam

post-1-1148941341_thumb.jpg

well done on the mixed bag sammy, i'd put my money on a horse tailor too although i have heard from a local tackle shop that a few small sharks have been taken in the bay lately.

one of the local charter boats reported on sunday they were pulling massive tailor from down deep in the bay.

I remeber you telling me your freezer was full Sam :1prop: Now if you want to offload some of those fish you know who to call. Great catch by the way. :thumbup:

Sharky, different Sammy.....my freezer is still full :P

Great mixed bag!

Hey Guys thanks for all your great replies.. :thumbup: I can tell you all that I just returned from my parents place where I 'shouted' everyone a feed :074: My mum cooked them of course but I had the bro in law and sisters over and they all loved it, washed down by a few coldies I had the old man and bro in law opened mouthed with tall tales from the old man of the sea and the ones that got away.. I can honestly say that the Flounder was the pick of the bunch.. Lightly crumbed in a beer batter fried Yummo! It was a smorgasboard of fish where everyone tried a bit of every fish.One of those great family nights. Happy fishing to all Sam