Hawkes Nest 20/5, Brisbane 24/25th Of May

Nicho

Hawkes Nest Beach 20/5/06

Been off the last few weeks doing some fishing before the next contract starts..

Ended up in Hawkes Nest beach to do some camping on the 20/5.. and found a nice looking gutter right in front of the lemontree beach access track.

Well I stopped to have a look and got bogged didn't I.. so after running around for 30 minutes getting unstuck, I finally managed to throw in a beach worm and got hit by a Salmon on the first cast..

After fishing there for around an hour, we caught two Whiting, the one salmon, a little bream and fished out two other cars that were also getting stuck in the sand (made me feel a lot better knowing I wasnt the only idiot to get stuck in front of the access track!!!). Went home with the idea of hitting the beach after dark to chase a Jewie.

Well after cooking the fish, and several beers later, we decided that the swags were the best place to be, and we would go for a fish first thing in the morning.

Hit the swags and the heavens opened.. and I mean opened...

So there we were, wet, cold and miserable..

when morning came all we could manage was to light a fire, get dry and head home (So much for the Jewies!!!)

Brisbane 24/5/06

Headed up to Brisbane on the Monday and took a boat out on the Tuesday out about 10Km's out from the Stradbroke/Morton Bay Bar..the fishing was hard and by 2 O'clock we hadent hit anything noteworthly and then like a switch the fish just came on..

Over there we sound for fish in around 60 metres of water, plot the school and then drift through them.. which is a little different from how I fish for them over here.

After 2:00 we were getting snapper on each drop with the majority being in the 4Kg range. By three we had caught our baglimit and released around 15 fish as well.. so we took off home. (all the fish were snapper)

Brisbane 26/5/06

Went out again on the 26th, this time I got hit on the first drop, It wasnt a snapper but faught like a mongeral.. Ended up being a 4 foot bronze whaler shark, then I puttled in a 4Kg Amberjack..

After that it was a mixed bag of snapper and pearl pearch and one large but unlucky squid..we hit our baglimit on the first hour and tried to get an amberjack or kingie for no luck before heading home.

I went up to Brisbane with 8Kg on luggage (carry on) and came home with 23Kg.. My fridge is looking good with a healthy population of snapper which is a good thing as I just found out that my boat wont be fixed for another 4 weeks (still mucking around with a cracked fuel tank... but I am a lot closer to having it all fixed now)

I wish snapper fishing was that easy in Sydney!!!

Nicho

Great fishing report ,looks like you will be up to your ears in nice fillets for a while :thumbup:

Was nice to see you help out fellow 4x4 drivers that had the same misfortune as you as well :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

:dito: . Shame that the jewie plans didn't go ahead. I also wish snapper were that plentiful around Sydney - at 4kg each, that's some fine fish! :1yikes: Snapper, I find, are great fighters as well, so it's a double positive! :thumbup:

Flattieman.

:dito: . Shame that the jewie plans didn't go ahead. I also wish snapper were that plentiful around Sydney - at 4kg each, that's some fine fish! :1yikes: Snapper, I find, are great fighters as well, so it's a double positive! :thumbup:

Flattieman.

Yeah.. I dont know what it is about Brisbane.. but they always seem to fight and hit you harder up there.. Where as a 4Kg fish up there in 60 metres of water will hold you near the bottom for the while.. the equilavalent down here is a bit more lethargic..

But when they get real big.. they fight like a king sometimes (big runs.. just the head shakes give them away)

awesome report. snapper with beer awesome combination. good stuff!

Tell me about it.. Ihad one last night..

Simple BBQ, with Lemon pepper seasoning, some chinese five spice some salid and a few cold beers.

It just doesn't get any better in my book!!!!

Hey nicho,

nice place hawkes nest, wouldn't worry about getting bogged, i have seen many a 4wd stuck and some almost engulfed by the waves.

Yeah, we hada small Jeep get stuck and the waves were hitting him as we got to him.. poor bloke didn't realise that you had to deflate your tyres..

Lucky i had a long snatch strap so could get him out without getting wet.. but i recon a fair bit of salt would have gone through him!!!

Edited by Nicho