Leader Knots

squidgie

hi all,

Need some help with a knot ....on the end of my fly line I have a braided loop, then a braided tapered leader . I want to connect some flurocarbon leader now...whats the best knot to join the flurocarbon to the braided leader...

cheers

Squigie

How do you find the braided loop connection from fly line to tapered leader. I gave away these loops a long tome ago and just use a single uni knot to joint my fly line and leader together. I have never had this fail where I have had the loop give way previoulsy.

Kingpig.

hi kingpig,

So far i have had no issues with the loops, but I havent had anything on that will trouble them. I did a botch job of it too, but it makes it easy to attached the braided leader and fluoro leader. Later on I will maybe make a mono loop on the end of th fly line or some other way. Im not the best caster either yet and since Im only doing saltwater work wont make too much of a difference I dont think.

Squidgie

As I said. I just use a single uni knot that is tied in the leader and then pulled tight over the fly line this bites into the coating and the will not pull off. The only problem I have is that sometimes this joint does not want to flow freely through the snake guides. To overcome this i use a small piece of electrical heat shrink over the joint you just need to be carefull about heating it.

I have caught some good sized kings (not huge 65-70cm fish) on me ten weight and never had a problem.

Regards

Kingpig

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

the 2 best methods for attaching leader to flyline is either a 7 turn nail knot (use 40 or 60pound soft and supple nylon like Berkley big game or jinkai) or a braided loop. For lines of 7 weight and above i think most pre bought loops are not good enough. The flyline should extend a minimum of 6 inches into the braided loop for security so you need to make your own out of 50 pound gudebrod or cortland braided mono.

The uni knot will not flow through the guides and may lead to a broken tip.

As far as joining 2 lines together the 4 turn surgeons knot is 100% and better than double uni knots, bloods or double nails.

Cheers,

Justin Duggan