6 New Reefs In Botany Bay

Shaun

Dont know if its been heard by all but straight out of todays telegraph.....

Six new small artificial reefs have been created in Botany Bay with the funding from fishing licenses.

The reefs are part of a 3 yer $369k pilot program funded by the Recreational Fishing Trusts.

The reefs will create new fish habitats in the bay and attract various species of fish.

The 6 reefs are made up of 180 concrete reef ball modules, which can easily be moved or removed completely, if necessary.

The new artificial structures are located in Yarra Bay(3) , Astrolabe Cove(1) , Congwong Bay (2) at depths ranging from 9.6 to 14.1m.

Research will be carried out on the reefs to assist with future artificial reef construction and their effectiveness.

Botany Bay is the secind recreational fishing haven to trial the artificial reefs.

Six similar artificial structures were deployed in Lake Macquarie in December last year.

REgards Sunkist

Edited by Sunkist

Wakeup

All that cost for some small reefs, just think about it.

Maybe one day, fisheries can come up with some decent idea.

But then again, all of those costly reefs or rubble, would suit the divers

setting off from the nearby bare island area.

I really had enough of these ivory tower public service fools.

ilk

I'm a little concerned about the current dreging and boreing going on over near phenryn estuary, with all the recent marine park and new reef new's, i hope people havent forgotten that they are trying to put in a new shipping port in the bay, the silt and shit that will be stirred up as a result will do countless damage to the fish life in the bay, the place will turn to shit. Ever stired up the sand in the bottom of your fish tank and seen what happens to the clarity of the water?