Downrigging Squid Lures For Kings

Laredo

That looks like the squid lure Chris bought a while back. They look awsome and from memory Chris lost his to a big king. He wasnt too happy about it either. :074::074::074:

yeah, you would want some pretty heavy leader

I downrigg quite often and i have downrigged that lure.

I have 2 riggers fitted to my boat and i tried it a few times with a live/self caught just dead squid and the squid got hit everytime and that got ignored, so i would have to say its no good.

But that doesnt mean it wont work, it just will not get hit as often as livies.

The bib will also effect its swimming action that far down, if you are going to downrigg lures you are much better using bibless lures. Bibs are designed to allow the lure to get down deeper, with a rigger you have can get it down without it.

Edited by netic

Thanks for that netic. I was wondering about that. So u reckon a large Squid SP or a Squid Jig lure, would be better to trawl?

Mate the best thing is a real squid, if you cant get them i would go a sluggo on the rigger, 6 inch, but your hit rates would be considerably lower then live/fresh caught squid.

KIngfish can be very fussy eaters and they also can be choosy at times, but all of this depends on the estuary your fishing, in the Harbour i have caught 95% of my kings o Squid, rarely get them on yakkas, even more rare on lures.

I dont fish the bay but from reports here from the regurlar bay fishers suggest that yakkas work well there.

But i believ it doesnt matter where you are, Squid is the best king bait,

Guest Big-Banana

They def work on Dollies and rat kings when its slow around the traps. Havent trolled them close to Kingie haunts though.

I just bought these old things off ebay. Big 9 inch SP's. They look pretty unappealing, but they can easily be dazzled up.(bit of chrome spray paint and maybe add some blue and white tinge - they already have enough brown!) I reckon ill stick trebles in them.

What does everyone think ?

post-1860-1150721747_thumb.jpg

Edited by Laredo