80 Lb Jewie

OWZAT

G`day Fellas ,

All round good bloke , and new member Arthur , proudly shows off his 80 pounder Taken At Old Bar Beach sometime in october last year.

Arthur , an avid fisherman was using 20LB Spiderwire on a Heavy duty eggbeater , and a slab Of Salmon .

The Fish was finally beached after a 50 minute struggle , and was weighed at the bait shop at Bohnock .

I have posted the pic on his behalf , because he has not yet mastered the skills needed to do so .

Mick

Nice one Mick. 80lb is a dream fish. Was it weighed at the pub by any chance :1prop::biggrin2:

Cheers

Red

Heya Red ,

No , it was weighed at the bait shop at Bohnock Boat ramp mate.

Ist choice of course , is the local butcher shop if open , and as you know , their scales are checked regularly by inspectors .

I`m pretty sure they have the only scales that will weigh a fish of that size , except the bait shop that is.

So when you want it spot on , out to Bohnock Bait Shop .

There are some whoppers on his wall out there , must take a Pic next time I`m out that way .

The young fella is dead keen to Blood his newly won reel , and I too have a newby to blood as well , so it might just be this weekend hopefully.

Mick

Mick, you are lucky to live in such a Jewfish haven. I'm sure you'll nail a beauty soon. I'll be giving them a wide berth till spring time, unless the good :wife: buys me a 12 Volt heater :074:

Cheers

Red

G`day Fellas ,

Red , Me too at the moment , a serious back injury some time ago , means that as soon as the really cold weather hits , the pain begins .

Now although over time , I have learnt to live with it , sometimes , just one inattentive moment , and Zap , it feels just like having stuck your finger in a light socket .

So , I pick my times very carefully these days , and fish sparingly in the colder nights , and come home strong in the milder months .

That is providing everything else is working OK , but I`ve had a few niggling probs of late , so the longer I leave it the better.

But that young fella of mine , Jezzus Red , I`m sure he has icewater in his blood .

Big Lawrie is another one , Fishes all year yound in bloody Shorts and bare feet , bbbbrrrrr , makes me shiver just to think about the last time we went out .

Here am I , I`m all strapped up in kidney belt , Waders , + 2 jumpers , and Lozza rocks up along side me and kicks his Thongs back towards the 4X4 , the sadistic barstard never stopped sledging all night.

Mick

Guest wayneo

hi there owzat

thats a great fish mate but if that is 80lb im not here that fish wouldnt be over 25kg which is an awsome fish

that fish moonlitecreeper posted that glenn got was bigger and it was about 30kg so whoever weighed it must have had tomany :beersmile::beersmile::beersmile:

still a great fish

cheers wayneo

if that is 80lb im not here that fish wouldnt be over 25kg

still a great fish

cheers wayneo

Gotta love the old 20 pounds of lead down the gob trick :biggrin2: . Them grapnel sinkers surf fishos use are just purrrfect for this job :074::074:

No offence Mick however I wouldn't be buying bait off the bloke who weighed it :074::074::074:

"Them 15 prawns come to a total of $40 thanks sir" ............. :074: Bet he's the wealthiest bloke in town :biggrin2:

Once again, great fish Mick however 80lbs is a tad over the top, don't you think?

Cheers

Red

Guest Dont Shoot Da Chinamen

No offence Mick however I wouldn't be buying bait off the bloke who weighed it :074::074::074:

"Them 15 prawns come to a total of $40 thanks sir" ............. :074: Bet he's the wealthiest bloke in town :biggrin2:

Cheers

Red

:risata::risata::risata:

Regardless Mick - it is an awesome fish, and you are certainly the Jewfish master in my eyes (even if you don't catch them all, you seem to know the blokes who do)!!!

If I can ever escape from the clutches of work I'm gonna hit the beaches with renewed vigour. At least I now know that salmon works as bait - I was using a big slab about two weeks ago off maroubra and didn't get a touch.

One day I'm gonna come up and visit you and your son!!

Mondo

Regardless Mick - it is an awesome fish, and you are certainly the Jewfish master in my eyes (even if you don't catch them all, you seem to know the blokes who do)!!!

If I can ever escape from the clutches of work I'm gonna hit the beaches with renewed vigour. At least I now know that salmon works as bait - I was using a big slab about two weeks ago off maroubra and didn't get a touch.

One day I'm gonna come up and visit you and your son!!

Mondo

Mondsie ,

You would be more than welcome to tag along mate!.

Though you should keep in mind , the success rate for fish over the 30 lb mark is probably about 5% , and the boys often regularly fish the whole tide for their results .

I`m afraid my Fishing Time these days is limited to one hour before dark , and at most , 1 1/2 hours after .

Mick

Awsome catch mate thats unbelievable that they can be caught so big. does anyone know what they actually can grow to in weight or length.

cheers

A friend of mine has a grandfather with pictures of a 140 lb jew he caught in the '80's. My friend said he remembers his grandfather pouring water over the reel to keep it cool. His gear was 25 years old back then.

Guest wayneo

hey ive also read a few things about them aswell

they are called jewfish but they arent the same as our mulloway

but still very big fish

cheers wayneo