Who Stayed Up To Watch The Soccer

kikila

Pity about the score line 2 nil to Brazil but I thought that Australia put up a credible performance and were a tad unlucky not to score themselves, with all things being equal I reckon Australia are a bloody good chance of progressing to the next round. :thumbup:

feeling like S**t this morning... but well worth supporting. should have got cahill and kwel in there early with all those shots right in front, would have sealed the match. but alas... dont worry Croatia bring em on!

The Aussies suprised me. Never thought i'd see the day but they really have matured into a world class team. Just so unlucky they blew several wonderful scoring opportunities but they done us proud and can hold their heads high.

Croatia will be shaking in their boots :biggrin2:

Red

Guest wayneo

im so proud to be an aussie

not just the way we played against brazil but all our supporters over there in germany are going off and when they played brazils anthem and played ours our fans sang it louder then ever.

and just the way we played against a team like brazil which i think has lost alot of their flare and i dont think they can win the cup this year.

we only have to draw with the croats to go through,and i reckon ronaldo and the rest of the brazilian team will never forget about the time they played us aussies, we gave them a fright.did you see how happy they were when they scored coz they knew they were playing a quality football team.

bring on the croats they got no chance

cheers wayneo

A bung leg ( earlier soccer injury ) prevented me from attending work last night ( how unfortunate :1prop: ) so i literally "hopped" on a train with about 15 mates and we headed to the city-Destination THE AGINCOURT HOTEL . Arrived there about 8:30pm with first :beersmile: downed by 8.35pm

the night proceeded slowly as the crowd built up , we entertained ourselves in the meantime watching the footy show special ( with no volume) then we put some great songs on the jukebox , won a game of football trivia and then took great delight in watching Japan draw 0-0 with Croatia. By then our army had asserted ourselves as the premier cheerleaders and we warmed up with some great songs. By now the place was packed :1yikes: and the doors had to be shut off.

There were reporters and camera's everywhere , the first half we started well and i thought we had the best of the chances , going in 0-0 at halftime we were very very happy. Managed to score an interview with channel 9 ( kinda hoping it doesnt get aired! ) as well as get numerous photo's taken.

Second half as you know was rather disappointing as they scored the early goal but the lads never gave up and went close to scoring more times than brazil , unfortunately none converted though, 0-1 would of been a feasible loss ( if a loss can be feasible) but the 2nd goal was not only freakishly unlucky but a real morale killer , i dont think i have heard a crowd silenced as much as that.

So brazil won 2-0 , a result they know was lucky and it showed with the way the clowns carried on after goals and the final whistle. meanwhile the aussies can take heart from that performance it was a great display. 300-400 disappointed patrons trudged out of the hotel about 3.45am , we jumped on the nightride to Liverpool where we had departed, i enjoyed a quick nap before arriving at livo, jumped in my car and drove home and then got to sleep at the ungodly hour of about 6am.

I will be desperately hoping for 2 things in the next week

1 - that the aussies can take a point or 3 against croatia to progress to the final 16

2- that ronaldinho gets absolutely chopped and breaks both legs, i cant stand the sight of that horse.

Guest wayneo

good game, but again viduka is useless.

you cant say that about dukes

he loves getting the ball to his feet and he holds it up well

they did there homewrk on him but dont be srprised if he doesnt put 2 awat on friday night

cheers wayneo

you cant say that about dukes

he loves getting the ball to his feet and he holds it up well

they did there homewrk on him but dont be srprised if he doesnt put 2 awat on friday night

cheers wayneo

I just did. :1prop:

Put simply, the guy is a forward and is there to put away goals, he doesn't do it!! In 33 games for australia he has scored only 6 times - that is pretty dismal for a forward. Even when you look at his club stats at leeds and boro you can see a downhill pattern, he's not the same after his hamstring started to give him problems.

I hope I'm wrong and he finds the net twice next game.....

:closedeyes: im so tied, start yarning at 10:00am, even went to the dunny for a nap this afternoon, how am i going to last the hairtail night

Good report gogzay (AKA Kingvirgin.)

You've pretty much summed it up. I think brazils first goal was deserved, however if popovic had of been there instead of chippers playing out of position i don't think it would have happened.

Anyway, bottom line was we missed vital chances, kewell 56th minute sitter the most damaging to our egos. I was up in the air ready to celebrate, then sat down quietly as it soared over the bar. Chances to dukes, breshas, and breshas again capped off the match in which if we had of finished those brilliantly created chances - brazil would have been on the team bus in tears.

Not to be, and they showed what a class side they are by finishing the chances they did create. As has also been pointed out Fred's goal was just pure luck and the 1-0 result would have looked more appealing to those who didnt watch the match.

But this is the world cup, and scorelines mean everything - SO LETS GO GRAB IT AGAINST THE CROATS!!

My pick - 3-1, dukes to bag a double and bresciano to score the other. Hard to imagine harry or timmy not scoring though - lets see it pans out.

GO AUSSIE!

Have to agree with some other comments, viduka is not the quality striker we all think he is, brazil had fewer chances and scored twice, thats the mark of quality strikers, to nail them when they get the opprtunity.

All that said the aussies are really playing well, and have grown as a force in international football.

I have been a massive soccer fan since i was a kid and this is the best Australian team i have seen...dont be surprised if they go really far in this tounament, but don't lose respect for croatia, they can play really well on their day as we have seen in previous tournaments....world cup and euro cup.

Hope the aussies do win and i predict they will by 1-0....with bresciano being the scorer