The Creek Re-visited

Jethro

I managed to catch up with a mate on Saturday that I hadn't seen in a while.... and what better way than to wet a line..

We decided to stay local and the weather was looking a bit dodgy so we headed down to the creek. I wasn't holding high hopes after the bit of rain we had but when we arrived we found the creek a little dicoloured but still worth a flick.

We tried SPs early for a couple of small fish. Even managed to get my mate his 1st bream on a lure.

As the day wore on I and there was a lot more water between fish changed to the old faithful SF40, and on the 3rd cast came up tight.

We ended up landing another 12 or so fish for the afternoon. One thing we did notice was that all fish we caught deep in fallen trees. Nothing off boats wharves or rock bars which usually produce.

The high light of the day was this fella. He only went 39cm but he could well be a black bream which would be a 1st for me :biggrin2:

post-44-1150768593_thumb.jpg

post-44-1150768735_thumb.jpg

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a black bream and a YF bream. All the other fish we caught were their usual silver colour

post-44-1150768878_thumb.jpg

These 2 fish were caught within 20m of each other. You can see the definate colour difference

Edited by Jethro

You know how jealous I am now !

From what ive heard the odd Black will show up at this time of year and is not that uncommen. Nice fish Jethro ! :thumbup:

Me and a mate pulled a couple of Blackies from F & S a few weeks back too.

He only went 39cm
:1yikes:

Steady mate.... my PB is only 37cm.... I'm feeling very inadequate here!!!! :tease:

That's a great report and you got onto some nice fish there.

No idea if it's a black bream or a "stained" fish that's been living up stream. I'll go out on a limb and say it's a black bream - cause.... well, it's "black"... :1prop: Note the colour of the pectoral and anal fins, quite dark.

Cheers,

David.

edit... found this:

Yellow Fin Bream - pectoral fins are yellow, and there are less than 50 scales from the base of the pectoral fin to the tail. Black bream has dusky fins and more than 50 scales in the pectoral-anal fin line.

You can count the scales....LOLOLOLOLOL

Edited by mottyman

G'day Grant - Hows the new tub going?? It was nice relaxing day on the creek. It was great out of that wind. We had planned to go for a run up to Budgewoi but she was a bit blowy out on the lake

Steady mate.... my PB is only 37cm.... I'm feeling very inadequate here!!!! :tease:

It does sound a bit pretensious doesn't it... Let the truth be-known my PB is 41cm and I have probably only caught a dozen or so fish over 36cm :1prop:

Thanks for the info on the scale count but Im not quite that keen.... Info from another site suggests that the YF bream has a bit more of a rounded head and the black are a little bit pointer... which looks like it in the photos..

Thanks guys....

Looks like I have chalked up a new species :thumbup:

Ant - Shore based in the creek can be pretty hit and miss but I will shoot you a PM ...

Grant - Glad to hear she is up and running... cant wait to have a look..

depends where you go...

ive found most places do them for 18-20 bux but have seen joints charging like wild bulls @ 25 bux each and some even higher.

if you can get yourself out to ABA they do them for close to $15 each i think, cheapest i have seen (but the petrol will cost most of us more :mad3: )

CFD

$15 at ABA is cheap. if you're in the city, CA do them for $15.95 (and they price match).

I'm still not convinced the Bream is a Black Bream here boys. My hunch is that is a discoloued YF Bream from years up river. I have this dilemma on a constant basis from Bream i catch from Berowra. All the Bream i get are black as the Ace of Spades and i swore that they were Blackies. A local told me how to spot the difference and proved to me they were in fact YF Bream. The spike on the anal fin on Blacks is shorter than the spike on YF's which is about the same length as the anal fin itself. By the look of these pics i would hazard a guess at YF's IMO.

Edited by kevvie

I'm still not convinced the Bream is a Black Bream here boys. My hunch is that is a discoloued YF Bream from years up river. I have this dilemma on a constant basis from Bream i catch from Berowra. All the Bream i get are black as the Ace of Spades and i swore that they were Blackies. A local told me how to spot the difference and proved to me they were in fact YF Bream. The spike on the anal fin on Blacks is shorter than the spike on YF's which is longer than the anal fin itself.

Interesing, kevvie... Hmm...

Flattieman.

It is a tough one... worst thing is I had that fish and another in the live well ... had I know it would have been easy enough to check...

I have caught quite a few bream in the creek over the last few years and caught them up as far as the weir... but I have never seen one that black...

Just means I will have to go back and catch the little bugger again :1prop:

Jehtro,

I am convinced it is a blackie. I myself have caught blackies in Wyong and other CC creeks.

I have also lived down south Coast where it is a common occurance to catch a bag of YF and Butchers in one session and from that pic it looks exactly like a butcher.

Kevvie,

I know what you mean about the bream in Berowra. I have probably spent the best part of 4 years tareting bream in the berowra and spenser waters and yes there are some quite dark bream mixed in with the ever so silver ones, it can be a bit decieving at times. Don't forget it is also possible to get Hybrids, although you can usually tll as the still have some yellow around the fins and fight more like a YF rather than a half hearted effort blackies usually give

Mitch

Never heard of the Hybrids mate. Great thats all i need more possibilities to confuse me :1prop:

U probably are right u know. Its just that fish camoflage really well and it hard tp pick. I didny know the butchers came up as far as the south coast! I suppose anything is possible :wacko::wacko: