Using Sp Gear For Bait Fishing

newatthegame

Hi guys,

Just wondering if light soft plastic gear can be used for bait fishing as well? I am pretty inexperienced and i am looking for a new rod and reel.

Thanks

I do that, and I'm pretty sure that lots of other Raiders do. :1welcomeani: to the site.

Flattieman.

Guest Jewel

ABSOLUTLY!!

The rods casting ability and sensitivity is usually what differentiates SP gear from anything else.

SP rods are generally just at a much higher performance (and quite often price) level than gear used for bait fishing.

Which is not to say that you cant use the cheaper lower performance gear for SPs, it just doesnt do it anywhere near as well. However ther is quite a range of very well priced rods ($100-$150) out there now that perform at beter than entry level, so dont think that you have to take out a second mortgage to get an outfit, the Berkley dropshot rods and Daiwa procasters spring to mind as cheaper options that are more than capable.

The reel as long as it has a nice smoooooth drag is not really that important, obviously the more you spend the nicer they are to use and the better they work but something like a Shimano Symetre 2500 ($130) or a Daiwa Exceler 2500 ($130) will definately get you started.

Braided or fused lines are a must.

Be warned that once you get started you will probably end up spending lots of $$$$$ as your addiction gets bigger!!

Cheers and good luck

Mick

Most of my bait fishing is done using soft plastic gear these days. The sensitivity using the graphite rods and fireline is amazing.

only time I think it is not as good is when fishing with the rod left in a rod holder as i think it flings the bait more as the boat rocks around.

If I went out of my way to buy or reccomend a dedicated bait fishing rod for bream, flatties etc... it would be nothing like a graphite sp rod. I'd go for a fibreglass job that loads up a lot slower to allow timid fish to feel no resistance when taking a bait.

Having said all that, I've caught plenty of fish on bait with my sp rod which is only a shitty okuma epix rod .........there is no huge issue with using them for bait fishing.

If I went out of my way to buy or reccomend a dedicated bait fishing rod for bream, flatties etc... it would be nothing like a graphite sp rod. I'd go for a fibreglass job that loads up a lot slower to allow timid fish to feel no resistance when taking a bait.

Having said all that, I've caught plenty of fish on bait with my sp rod which is only a shitty okuma epix rod .........there is no huge issue with using them for bait fishing.

I agree. I prefer a slow glass rod for bait fishing as well when targeting bread and butter fish

When I've had enough of flicking plastics on my "SP" rod (is there really such a thing?) and feel the need to throw a bait, I just leave the jig head on and throw on a prawn or what ever. Saves time re-rigging with a new sinker and hook. :1prop:

Nothing better than a #2 or #4 jig head and delicious piece of Hawkesbury prawn to entice Mr Whiting. :biggrin2:

I usually do this if I don't have my other "bait" rods with me and I'm fishing with the boys. :1fishing1:

Thanks for the imput guys.

This is such a good website. I have learned so much already from reading the posts. Hope to purchase a rod and reel friday or sat and go for a fish.

Just another question on a different topic. What is the deal with the social days? Do you just sign up and hope to get a spot? Is there a fee to go? I am keen to get right into the fishing now i have moved to Sydney and have acess to some river systems.