Hairtail Social

inhlanzi

G'day Raiders

Got out at lunchtime today and headed down the Hawkesbury. Not much happened for quie a while then it started to get dark. Bang, bang and Bang! Got three hairies in about 10 mins.

Yahooo. Gees they don't muck about when they decide to have a go. I was well organised with extra taces today and was able to have two rods out all the time.

I found the mothership on the way back to Appletree and got the fish measured and a few photos taken. Big one went 145cm and the others in the 120s.

It was good to meet a few of the "names" from the forum onboard the houseboat.

I had to get home before 8 so could not stay to long.

Will hope to be out again tomorrow. The weather is not too bad. Very little wind and only light rain. Don't have to wash down the boat!!!

Fish are alredy gutted and cooling in the freezer.

post-1963-1151060317_thumb.jpg

Picture of the fish thanks to Mrs Swordfisherman

post-1963-1151060412_thumb.jpg

The business end of the chrome worriors

Hope to get to meet some of you raiders tomorrow and Sunday

Good luck and have good weekend

Cheers

inhlanzi

Edited by inhlanzi

inhlanzi,

Their is a post in the fishing chat forum saying that apple tree bay ramp is closed this weekend, do you know any thing about that? i was going to launch there tomorrow but may have to go to brooklyn instead

By the way - nice hairys

Hey Arron

Launched from there this afternoon and came in after dark. I saw no signs anywhere to say anything about it being closed. I am going again in the morning.

Cheers

inhlanzi

just went back and re-read that post in fishing chat - apparently its closed from the 26th (Monday) to 30th (Friday)

I was starting to panic and think about plan B, I got to take more time to read. lol

Its pouring outside at the moment big thunder storm, those poor buggers out there, i bet there doing more drinking than fishing at the moment

Guest Die Fishin

G'day Raiders

Got out at lunchtime today and headed down the Hawkesbury. Not much happened for quie a while then it started to get dark. Bang, bang and Bang! Got three hairies in about 10 mins.

Yahooo. Gees they don't muck about when they decide to have a go. I was well organised with extra taces today and was able to have two rods out all the time.

I found the mothership on the way back to Appletree and got the fish measured and a few photos taken. Big one went 145cm and the others in the 120s.

Will hope to be out again tomorrow. The weather is not too bad. Very little wind and only light rain. Don't have to wash down the boat!!!

Cheers

inhlanzi

:beersmile::beersmile: well done mate,leave sum for me :1fishing1::1fishing1: lol

G'day Raiders

Cheers

inhlanzi

good onyar but next time u come around that point that fast at that time in the am with ur candle light in a hurry ,make sure you keep a watch at all times , near miss by 5m :1yikes:

Edited by swordfisherman

Dam Wish I caught one....Ohh well at least I popped my cherry with a 34+ cm jew.

So After the frozen toes,ears and fingers :frozen::frozen::05: it was worth it just to finally catch my first Jew woohooo

It was good to meet you guys robbo75 and Gianni thanks for taking the time out to have a chat at the ramp

this morning(before your close encounter with inhlanzi) I agree also he took off from the ramp like a bat out of hell.

Also to the guys on the house boat thanks for being so hospitable yesterday afternoon it was great to finally

meet you,hope you guys had better luck than me & esratew

Take it easy guys

John

Hye Robbo75, thanks for the "memory of a life time".

Its something I will treasure for the rest of my life, oh plus I have learnt a life long lesson. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

I froze both my balls off!!! It was freezing, no fish, no bite thank goodness for the butane gas burner.

The Hairtails are myth! I Think Inhlanz went through this cold night last time and wanted others to experience it, so he went out to flemmington and bought some nice hairys and posted them here! :1prop:

PS for all those who braved the elements, congratulations and hope you guys did better then we did.

PPS sorry we couldn't hang around till 10am, NO FISH, NO PLAY MAKES GIANNIZ CRAZY :1prop:

PPPS good seeing some of the raiders, (thanks for the lunch donated by one of the couples -sorry forgot your names :thumbup: ) and coollamon, your captain is probably the single most funniest man I have met in my life! :074: .)

PPPPS i could go on and on, but for now thanks for the great time everyone, but its time for me to sleep again...

Edited by gianniz

Yup, they sure exist. I was one of the crew on the houseboat and had the privilege of seeing these beasts up close. mrsswordfisherman will soon be posting a report with pics of both Mike's and the Domza's catch. It was great to meet fellow raiders there - we had an absolute frigging blast - details soon.

Cheers,

Ash

Apologies to robbo75 and all aboard.

I was not driving the boat at the time and was trying to fix one of the lights.

The fisho who was driving is a very experienced skipper and I presumed he had seen you blokes and would give you a wide birth. Obviously not!

All I can do is apologise to robbo 75 and his crew.

I hope we didn't stuff up your day.

Edited by inhlanzi

Great 2 days on the water on the HR , #1 son bought in a 65 CM Jew , and we scored some Yakkas at Patonga this afternoon . Where we were set up in Waratah Bay it got very cool during the evening , but a long way from the freezing temps I had been expecting! Great company and not bad fishing for us !!

Ross

Great weekend, terrible fishing... thanks to all who attended!

and to add insult to injury, the only fish activity we see all weekend from the houseboat, a bunch of BIG fish busting up the surface HARD!, CFD and i grab a bream rod expecting sambo's or tailor, jump in the poly and race to the action, i throw a metal at the school and hook up to a freight train, a dirty dirty fight later and i was smoked by a hoodlum king :ranting2: , took me for all i was worth... Had a chat to some of the local fishraiders and they claim i was another victim of the resident 90 odd cm king AAAARRRGGHH!!!

Apologies to robbo75 and all aboard.

I was not driving the boat at the time and was trying to fix one of the lights.

The fisho who was driving is a very experienced skipper and I presumed he had seen you blokes and would give you a wide birth. Obviously not!

All I can do is apologise to robbo 75 and his crew.

I hope we didn't stuff up your day.

no prob inhlanzi no damage even tho we didnt catch anything like u we still had a good time.thanks for ur msg i no it does happen dt mean to sound so harsh i just think boat safety should be a concern 4 everyone.

Gday all, i have read all the reports you have all posted on these fish an let me spill some beans on my experiences with these fish as i have caught heaps of them over the years an can only now decribe them now as a pest....!

i live only a few kilometers from appletree bay an fish the cowan creek system constantly an over the years have caught heaps of em an fished for the hairtail purpously, freazing my arse off...!! I have read one other report that sums these fish up exactly...! These fish roam this whole system an travel slowly with the tide (which is very slow as this system is sooo deep in most parts that you dont really get much current flow as compared to any other parts of the hawksburry....!!!! for those that have never been down any parts of this system the tide flows very noticeably slow!!!) I have found that ancoring any where in the main river particually in the deeper sections and slightly off the main channels between cottage point and apple tree bay to be the best.... The main name of the game is burly.....! but not to much... slow an must be steady all nite....! you will have your rods out for hours without a nibble then all of a sudden they will attack....! they come on hard an strong with no respect for tackle or bait an will demollish anything that even looks or smells like fish...! these fish fish float rather than swim with the current in a vertical direction rather than swim like an eel an definatly hunt in packs as you will be sitting for hours without a touch an all of a sudden you will have caught 4 or 5 within 10 to 15 mins they will smash anything an most of mine have come from pillies or whole taylor,taylor fillets or any big smelly fillets you can rig up on wire traces an gang hooks.....An let me tell you as soon as they come on they dissapear in 10 to 15 mins....!!!!

I have caught them them late in the arvo in day lite but find that darkness is the best... but it is just a case of being in the right place at right time and you reaaly have to wiat for em to float past you with the tide....! Burly definatly helps and will 9 times out of 10 get you a good side catch of shouvel nose sharks or sometyhing to put on the table...! Orr by the way i set baits at different levels but the best is mostly towards the bottom and 5 to 10 meteres up... all in all paitence is the key here and hope i have given some usefull info on these buggers.... I personally think they are the worst tasting fish i ever eaten and got no usefull info on how to cook em other than throw em back....! but am open to any suggestions...! Good luck raiders and if you got any other questions dont hesitate to ask........!!!!!!! :beersmile::beersmile::beersmile: