Fishing Pittwater

roosterman

decided to have a fish after dinner for a couple hours as tide was good for some squid and hopefully a jew. fished one of my local possies in pittwater from the shore but was dead,not even any baitfish around.fished the top of the tide from about 7.40pm till 10pm on sat 24th june. on my 3rd cast i got a massive squid,hood 38cm,so put the head out and hoped for the best.wind was a little chilly but perservered.not one strike on my jig after the first one and not even a nibble on my big juicy fresh squid head.pink jig did the damage on the squid but also tried green, blue and different sizes for diddly squat..the squid was full of bubs.. oh well the squid will make nice calamari and will go nicely with the 1.5kg flatty i got sat morning...

fished couple weeks ago for similar result,only difference was i got wet from the drizzly rain.that squid went 35cm..

hope the guys over the creek are having better luck with the hairies.at least they should be sheltered from that chilly wind..

Edited by roosterman

Hi Roosterman, fished pittwater and barrenjoey on Saturday morning. Caught a lot of undersized squire but not much else. Very disappointing

gday hydro,yeah doesnt seem to be alot happening on some days.then same spot same bait and different result.. last couple of outings i have only managed one thing to take home for the table.but only fished from shore as my wife is due any day with bub #3 so i have to be close by.. ill have a couple of weeks off when bubs comes so i may try to get up cowan way and try for some hairies..[if the boss lets me that is] anyway fishing and getting nothin is still better than not fishing at all.. did you spot much baitfish or surface action around.....

Pittwater is not dead.....

Look at Peters site for reports.

If i had a choice I'd fish there every weekend.

Don't give up mate!

Hi Haraka

I just got myself a boat, looking at going over to Pittwater on the weekend. Who or what is Peters site and how do I look at it.

Thanks in anticipation

Charlie

Hi Haraka, i agree pittwater is not dead but fishing definitely is not the same anywhere as when i was a kid in the 70's / 80's.. some days it fires and get good results and other days seems like not even a solitary baitfish around..

i am not that experianced in pittwater and only fished it in my boat half dozen times in the last 18 months.i done some recon work with my sounder one day when it looked bad and drifted different possies along western shore from scotland isle to west head drifted from lion to west head [ that was fun dodging the sailing boats] and tried all along from west head to just past flint & steel. had my sounder on all the time [mainly looking for structures]

not much in the way of action, a few small schools of baitfish and caught a few throwbacks. saw quite a few other boats moving around for zip.. but have been out other times and done quite ok... seems great one day and zip the next.. i probably need to go out with someone with the local knowledge to learn about the area better i suppose. anyway thats my long winded 2 bobs worth..

tight lines....steve....

I agree with Haraka

I love fishing in Pittwater, there are so many bays, moorings & reefs.

Bait is easily obtained.

In the past 6 months I have caught a variety of species including flathead, whiting, jewfish, squid, tailor, bream, squire, tawine, shovel nose ray, blue swimmer crabs, garfish & flounder.

I look forward to catching my first john dory this winter, and in summer I am going to try for kingfish which are renowned in the area.

The biggest problem Pittwater faces in the caulerpa weed, with fisheries prohibiting anchoring in a number of areas where this weed is prolific.

Hi Haraka, i agree pittwater is not dead but fishing definitely is not the same anywhere as when i was a kid in the 70's / 80's.. some days it fires and get good results and other days seems like not even a solitary baitfish around..

That is the same everwhere - even in places like Broome & NT

but there are still fish there, you only need to look at the Fish of the Month in March - 1metre flathead caught in Pittwater

Last weekend, landed 5 keeper bream (biggest also 38cm), along with several just under legal snapper. This was in Pittwater. They are there but need coaxing to bite as they are a little cold and don't need to eat much at the moment as their metabolism slows down for the winter. Burley and offering something tasty can do the trick.

Yes... it's fish around boat moorings ....move if you get no interest....

Seriously it's the best for John dory now.... and who doesn't want to catch one of those.... and eat it on your own :)

Berley ..

I have caught cobia in the bay.... ( very small 40 cm )

squid bait... in winter I think...

It's really a top spot to look at million dollar houses with nobody having a good time - I have yet to see anyone party and have a public session on their balcony.... wishful thinking.

Maybe they need a Houseboat full of Raiders moored out the front :beersmile::beersmile::yahoo:

Cheers Stewy

well guys looks like i unintentionally stirred things up :1prop: java script:emoticon(':1prop:', 'smid_7')

:1prop:.when i labelled this post "dead" i didnt mean to portray that pittwater was dead.just my attempt at catching something that night..i have only fished the area for a short time and on days [or nights] have done ok.. with time im sure i will improve my success rate and maybe oneday ill get out with some locals and pickup on anything i could improve on.. this site is good and im sure that ill learn a few things from this great site also..thanks for your input.. is always good i suppose to be reassured that there is nice fish being caught ,even if its not me..