Engine Probs

hustler57

hey fellow :1fishing1:

i have a problem with my engine .. on the back on my pride and joy is a 1980 ish 140hp jonno V4. i decided to go for a older motor as i was told that model johnson never stop.. anyway when im going full speed and i start to bring it back slowly as i get to about half speed it stalls on me this has only happened twice in 3 months so its not a huge issue i hope but im planning on hopefull heading out to the shelf in a few months and the last thing i need is engine preobs out there ??? does any 1 have any idea why it stalls

Hi Mate, my first boat had a 1980 johnson 140 on it, it was a great motor but it started doing the exact same thing, after a year it got worse and then i found out that the pistons had chips in them, needed a complete rebuild.

Hopefully your issue will not be this large, i would get it checked out by a mechanic

Sounds like you are getting too much or not enough fuel in that part of the rev range. It may be running to rich or to lean, having your tried fiddling with the lean/rich mixture adjuster? You will will probably be able eliminate problem through this. If not, try running hotter plugs, also check your fuel filter that it isnt clogged up.

ok thanks. its a great engine and isnt to bad on the fuel either like ive got a cruise craft hustler 570 and i can get from the ramp at lugarno on the georges river out throught botany bay to the heads and back to the ramp on a quarter of a tank which is 45 litres of fuel . i just hope its nothing to serious and ive only had this engine for 3 months and the guy i got it off said that it was rebuilt last year ?????

Hi Mate, my first boat had a 1980 johnson 140 on it, it was a great motor but it started doing the exact same thing, after a year it got worse and then i found out that the pistons had chips in them, needed a complete rebuild.

Hopefully your issue will not be this large, i would get it checked out by a mechanic

Your pistons probably had chips in them because it was running to lean, and in a 2stroke case if you are running to lean you have 0 lubricant, hence chipped/damaged pistons. I guarantee its a fuel problem, but if you keep driving with a big lean patch where it is getting no fuel/lubrication you will have big problems.

Yeah 50:1 is the goods, BP is the goods too.

1. Check your fuel filter and replace if neccasary

2. Put new plugs in.

3. Use Mixture adjusters, I dont know how mechanically minded you are, but these adjustment screws are usually fairly accessible and well marked, and can usually be adjusted on the fly while someone else is driving. When you start getting into the rev range where your motor start cutting out, turn the mixture screw slowly to try and get this flat patch out.

They are my tips anyway....

i had a similar problem on my 81 mod 115 johno. it only ever happened at full throttle (or close to it ).

after a few hours at (an ex site sponsors) workshop it was traced to a very small hole in the spark plug boot on one of the plugs. every now and then a spark would arc out and shut down the motor.

bastard of a problem to find but a nice easy fix.

Hustler,

As has already been said it sounds like it could be the fuel/air mixture on the carby.

Or it could possibly be a jet that is blocked in the carby.

It definately sounds like it is a problem in that area.

Regards

Paul

i went out in the boat yesturday and a good friend of mine came along who is a 2 stroke fantatic.

and i had constant probs with the engine and we took the boat back to his house and wow words cant explain how :wife::wife: up set i am . firstly theres no air cleaner ???? bad springs in the lead caps ......bad connections with the leads to the lead caps... a very dirty carbi .......and at full throttle the butter flies are only opening up 70% well so much for it being rebuilt laast year....

hey well in goes in to my mates garage tomorrow to start getting all the work done to it and it looks like theres a lot of work to be done .. so much for the guy i bought it of telling me that it was rebuilt last year .

I was told outboards didnt run air cleaners because there is so little dust on the water . Mine just has an airbox , which according to the manual , is there to reduce the induction roar as the air is drawn into the venturi. Apparently , gummed up carbs are one of the leading porblems with 2 strokes . I hope the repairs are not too expensive !!

Ross

Found this while doing some research on your problem :

I will add that at the half throttle point, hesitation can be caused (usually) by three things such as:

1 - Slow speed adjustment set too lean.

2 - Partially clogged intermediate or high speed jet (fixed brass jets).

3 - Throttle butterfly(s) opening too soon in relation to the timing.

Ross

ok thanks for the advice people. it seemd that there are a lot of little things that need to be fixed but what can u expect for an engine that only cost $1000 ... thats right i got a 140hp jonny for $1000

There are a lot of knowlegdeable people on here only to willing to help out .

Lets us know how you get on and hopefully your engine will be purring like a kitten real soon :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

thats right i got a 140hp jonny for $1000

This alone raises suspision to the history of this motor. Luckily they are very easy to fix and it sounds like some minor issues only. This complaint was common on these things years ago and was never more than an adjustment or minor repair ( most of the time ) Hope it works out :biggrin2:

just to let u all know my motor is purring like a kitten now.

we found that the lead caps didnt have good springs in then and 1 spring wasnt making a connection at all. and aftyer replacing the caps and new leads and cleaning out the carbi and making sure every thing is nice and tight and clean its purring like as kitten .. 1 days worth of work and $120 in parts and all fixed.. thanks every 1 for all ur advice and help