Mangrove Jacks In Sydney?

KingsRule

I was just reading another site and read in the report that a bloke caught a couple of jacks in dee why lagoon on live mullet...what the..(report was from 2001)

Also just now i saw a photo of a jack supposivley caught in sydney....can anyone confirm these supposed captures? :blink:

I was just reading another site and read in the report that a bloke caught a couple of jacks in dee why lagoon on live mullet...what the..(report was from 2001)

Also just now i saw a photo of a jack supposivley caught in sydney....can anyone confirm these supposed captures? :blink:

a couple of former members were puuling jacks out of there a few years ago (swoffa and ko-i) and had pics as well (i think they came from Manly lagoon)

a couple of former members were puuling jacks out of there a few years ago (swoffa and ko-i) and had pics as well (i think they came from Manly lagoon)

Yep, that rings a bell. They referred to it as the "Goon".

Evidently, the Jack fry come down on the warm water currents and when the current comes in close enough they end up in places like the goon and narra lakes etc etc. They get trapped and live on the mullet, prawns and other stuff in there.

They also got a fair few Big Eye Trevally and Giant Herring (also caught in the Parra from time to time).

Cheers,

David.

Yep, that rings a bell. They referred to it as the "Goon".

Evidently, the Jack fry come down on the warm water currents and when the current comes in close enough they end up in places like the goon and narra lakes etc etc. They get trapped and live on the mullet, prawns and other stuff in there.

They also got a fair few Big Eye Trevally and Giant Herring (also caught in the Parra from time to time).

Cheers,

David.

Thats amazing!, do you rekon there would be enough to target at the moment?

I really have no idea mate, sorry. I don't know anything about the area, I just remember the reports and discussion about the fish.

They definately got both Jacks and Big Eye from the Goon though, they posted the pics of them.

Sorry I can't be of more help. :(:(

I wouldnt bother trying to target them mate, i reckon you have just as much chance landing a barra as you do a jack in that lake :074: id stick to bream, flathead and whiting and if do happen to land one of these supposed narra lake "goon" jacks its a massive BONUS!!

Could you imagine the look on someones face when landing one of these in the "goon" it would be priceless. I reckon you would have a grin on your face for weeks.

I really have no idea mate, sorry. I don't know anything about the area, I just remember the reports and discussion about the fish.

They definately got both Jacks and Big Eye from the Goon though, they posted the pics of them.

Sorry I can't be of more help. :(:(

have you got a link to this post mottyman?

have you got a link to this post mottyman?

I tried doing a search and couldn't find any and didn't look around other sites but the link above that Fishlessmick has posted will give you a good idea of what was going on at the time.

A 59cm Mangrove Jack caught in Manly Lagoon.... amazing!!!! :1yikes::1yikes:

Here's a link to another "exotic" that came from the Goon.... A Tarpon of all things...

Goon Poon

Cheers,

David.

Edited by mottyman

Have heard of some increadible stuff comming out of Manly lagoon some years back. Someone even suggested that a small Queenie came out of there also. Kind of think that was just exagerated from the point of the first few suprise catches.

Have heard of some increadible stuff comming out of Manly lagoon some years back. Someone even suggested that a small Queenie came out of there also. Kind of think that was just exagerated from the point of the first few suprise catches.

is there a secret nuclear reactor under the lagoon or something!! :wacko:

Also i just did a quick search on the lagoon and came up with this:

Manly Lagoon has been identified as the State's most polluted coastal lagoon. Boating, fishing, and swimming are no longer allowed and the area has now been classified as a high risk area.

The lagoon's degradation is:

twice that of the next most polluted lagoon, Curl Curl.

20 times more polluted than most others.

The water quality results for 1992/96 by Laxton showed that:

Dissolved oxygen levels in Manly Lagoon and the tributary creeks was very variable and often fell to ecologically dangerous levels.

Water in Manly Lagoon was often turbid due to suspended material derived from the catchment of phytoplankton blooms.

Nutrient levels in Manly Lagoon, Brookvale Creek and Burnt Bridge Creeks were variable and considered, on average to be too high to control the growth of excess phytoplankton and other aquatic plants.

Its a shame , considering all these exotics!!,

(has anyone fished the lagoon in recent times , if so how did ya go?)

My ex father inlaw had photos and told me stories of things like jacks, giant herring, Gt's , big eyes, and such comming out of various "goons" in the greater sydney area. As long as they have some fresh sea water flowing into them every now and then you just never know.

cheers

Mick