Sydney Salmon

Guest fishrunner

Guest fishrunner

Hi all,

Went for a fish out of the harbour today with plans of anchoring up and having a fish , hopefully for kings, but that wasn't to happen, when arriving at the heads a small and flighty school of sambos were on the surface. I couldn't get any follows or hits here so left after bout 20mins.

Headed to my chosen spot and anchored up, but all was very quiet, :(

When a large school was seen busting up , straight away anchor was in and I was away chasing sambos

post-647-1151832288_thumb.jpg

Here's a pic of 1 of about 6 that were landed, kept 1 for the table others released, A few more were hooked but some how reefed me - may have been a few kings mixed in there. :tease: bream gear was no match

post-647-1151832328_thumb.jpg

the school was put down a few times by some spearo's actions,,, but them the breaks

cheers

Edited by fishrunner

Ah Fishrunner that first pic gets the blood moving let me tell ya.

If you were getting reefed perhaps there were indeed a few kings mixed in with them... Let's just say they were... now, that feels better don't it!!!! :074:

What's that in the water near the left hand edge of he photo just near the school busting up? Is it a diver or something else??

Anyway, good on ya for getting amongst it :thumbup:

Cheers,

David.

Guest Saqa

should have pulled out the other rod mate :biggrin2: . cut the salmon fillets into nugget size, roll in tumeric, crushed garlic and chillies and salt and deep fry. goes nice with :beersmile:

should have pulled out the other rod mate :biggrin2: . cut the salmon fillets into nugget size, roll in tumeric, crushed garlic and chillies and salt and deep fry. goes nice with :beersmile:

:drool::drool::drool: Sounds good, Saqa! Great job, fishrunner!!! :thumbup: Gotta love the salmon for their fighting qualities - what a hoot on bream gear! :yahoo:

Flattieman.

Guest fishrunner

G'day Mottyman , Thought you might like that 1st photo,,,, yeah there was a spearo comp on as about 15 boats came flying out of the heads around 9.15am, all was cool for a while but then a few tried to get themselves a sambo , pretty funny now that I look back at it ,- diver jumps in school ggoes straight down , diver beckons to his boatman "where are they?" he replies "they're gone down" goes and picks him up with me in the background exageratingly shrugging saying thanks guy's :( . Never saw them get even one :tease:

Yeah Saqa, Got 2 on the baitcaster(kingrod) with 1/8th jig head and 3 inch minnow , knocked em straight over, didn't veiw it as very sporting :074: , so switched back to the bream rod. Went great though and will just have to find bigger fish to put an angry bend into it :biggrin2:

cheers

Edited by fishrunner

Yep, love that first photo mate, nothing better than a school busting the surface.

Good to see the sambo's around, let's hope they stick around for a few weekends and we all get to have some fun on them.

I wonder would they take a Sandworm...... :tease::tease::074:

Over and out :biggrin2:

I was on the harbour on sat arvo and the salmon were out in force. Had no luck casting sluggo's and metals at the schools or trolling around. A bloke flyfishing seemed to be doing ok.

After a quiet troll south, headed about 1k offshore for a bottom bash. After loosing plenty of tackle to leather jackets, but a small metal on the bream rod and jigged about 10 metres down. After countless leather jackets on the small metal (and a few lures lost) had a big hit and scorching and seeming unstoppable run deep. Heading straight down, i called it for a king but eventually i managed to get it up high and the jumps revealed it to be a salmon. Ended up with three salmon between 50-60cm. Brilliant fun on the bream rod each taking at least a 10 minute fight to get to the boat.

Finished a top day by trolling past a big seal playing just of south head.

Guest Jewel

Ba$#ard!!!

Im stuck up in the Blue Mountains with the :wife: eating french food and :1wine:

While your doing $#!+ like that......... not cool!!!!!

Ah well there is always next weekend.

Good to see the Sambo's..I know a lot of people don't rate them on the table but if prepared right they go allright ( mums recipe always works) Great fighting fish and even better when you see them hey :1prop:

Guest fishrunner

Ba$#ard!!!

Im stuck up in the Blue Mountains with the :wife: eating french food and :1wine:

While your doing $#!+ like that......... not cool!!!!!

Ah well there is always next weekend.

French food and wine?, you're doin it tough mate :tease:

as you say there is always next weekend, with the duties out of the way ,I'll presume you want your spot in the boat back :074:

cheers

BTW nothing like a whinning drag to bring back memories of fun sambo sessions :biggrin2: 1st decent school I've seen this year mmm that anchor came up quick, even without a deckie!!

Guest Dont Shoot Da Chinamen

French food and wine?, you're doin it tough mate :tease:

as you say there is always next weekend, with the duties out of the way ,I'll presume you want your spot in the boat back :074:

cheers

BTW nothing like a whinning drag to bring back memories of fun sambo sessions :biggrin2: 1st decent school I've seen this year mmm that anchor came up quick, even without a deckie!!

hey hey hey!!!

chinamen wants a piece too!

can i tag along and bring my boat 2!!!

i will let you shoot me!

or i can tag along in your boat... if you don't mind!

i will bring the wasabi and soya sauce for some sashimi sambo!!

:drool::drool::drool:

Good report, great picture. First report of a Salmon school i have heard this year

Were there any birds working with the school?

There were stacks of birds on the 2 big schools off north head on sat arvo.

Edited by Dezmo

Guys

The fish in the first photo are up on top of the water chasing Krill. You see this a lot further down the coast. If you want to try and catch fish feed ing like this get a small red tag trout fly. Put a small lead top a swivel about a meter of trace and then the fly. Cast it on light gear and flick the rig through the school.

Be prepared for the action but.

Cheers