Offshore On Saturday

netic

Hey all, well after a few weeks on land decided to go and chase some yellowfin.

Got to the ramp at 6am and headed straight out of sydney heads to first go to the 12 miler and then hit the shelf from there.

had spent $200 on 3 skirts during the week and was very keen to give them a go.

got about 1km out to find dead calm seas, and i mean calm, it was like i was in Parra river, so obviously we were over the moon, thn it changed, the further out we went the rougher it got, by the time we got to the 12miler there was white wash everywhere, and we were getting soked by the waves. decided to give the skirts a go anyway.

Got them in the water and the wind was just too strong and we couldnt keep the boat straight enough to troll in a straight line, decided that it just wasnt good to stay out and decided to return back to shore.

took us an hour and a half to get back and we were drenched, once again it was dead calm within 2 kms of the heads, damn westerly. got changed into dryer clothes and decided to troll up and around bluefish point with some minnows.

No luck then we decided to call it a day as i was freezing cold from being drenched and really needed a warm shower.

Will give the Yellowfin another try this weekend if the weather permits

what setup have you got on your 4.75 to go offshore, and how does it handle the sea conditions

Mate no special set, its a 475 hussar, it handles ok i guess but if it gets rough it takes me ages to get back in, furthest i have been in it is 25km, have all the safety gear, eprirb, radio etc and normally buddy up with another boat.

But in saying that i have had some days where i thought i may not make it back in due to some quick changing wind and swell

netic i know the feeling its not real good hey especially when all other boats dissapear in the swell hey ive had these thoughts of shitting my self on two occasions once on a charter boat that was 40ft the other time in my own boat ......all good now but then phew.............

Bad luck about the conditions mate.

Hopefully the offshore westerlies will die down by the weekend

and you can get out and chase some yellowfin.

I know I can't wait to get out and catch one because it sounds like

they are running.

Good luck for the next trip.