What Fish Do You Most Enjoy Catching

Sharky

Hey all.

I love catching all types of fish but I would have to say that I love catching jews the most. They fight hard and clean (Most of the time) and I wreckon they are great sport and not too bad on the tooth either.

They arent the easiest fish to catch and I have put in countless hours fishing for them and have had many fishless nights, however for some reason I keep going back and targeting them time and time again.

I can assure you that when a big or small slab of crome is flapping in front of you that all the fishless trips are forgotton. On the back of my mind is how big will the next PB be? Its really quiet exciting and it the sort of stuff that keeps you up at night thinking about how the next prize will come about. Tactics, rigs, plastics............. the list goes on.

The fish that I havnt caught that I would like most to catch in the future is a yellowfin tuna. I thought I would add that as well so other raiders can give their favourites and their most wanted catch in the future.

Thanks all :thumbup:

Nice idea for a topic, Sharky.

Mine's a complicated answer.

Favourite: Australian Salmon

Reason: Fighting quality. On relatively light line off the beach, a 70cm+ sambo can give some serious curry!

I also love catching dusky flathead (you wouldn't guess! :1prop: ) because I've really refined my techniques for a specific population of fish and feel rewarded when my efforts (live bait, right lures, cumulative knowledge etc) pay off. Sadly, I've never caught a jewie or kingy, but they're on the top of my hit list. After I catch a monster jewie, I reackon that'll be my favourite. I've already started putting in the effort to catch fresh baits and go to the right beach, in the right place, at the right time, at the right tide, in the right conditions, with the right gear... C'mon jewies!!!

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

I just love catching bream on the flats in shallow water. I love the way they go hard across the sand from side to side. I deliberately fish with a lightish drag so they can run.... :biggrin2:

HOWEVER....... Bass on surface lures is the winner for me. I just love the anticipation as the lure sits and wiggles on the surface and then it gets smashed from below (sometimes just "slurped") but the big splashy hits are what I love. Then, it's hold on and try to get them out of the weed or structure. More than once I've bought a bass to the boat with half his home attached....

post-237-1152080756_thumb.jpg

There's nothing like that surface strike, visual and very exciting. :icon_peace:

Cheers,

well i would have a top 3

1.Yellowfin- doesnt happen often enough for me but pull like a steam train, gets my blood pumping like no other fish.

2. Kings- much easier to get then other species and pull hard for some very exciting fights

3. Dollies - great aerobatics and visualy gets me pumped cause i can see the bastard for most of the fight

Salmon i find quite dissapointing but thats just me, Trevally on handlines is also pretty good

Most wanted is a 50kg plus Yellowfin as the ones i have caught have all been under 20kg, im hoping that Jervis bay will provide this dream to me soon

Edited by netic

Guest wayneo

hi the raiders

you all know i love my big jewies

but for what reason i dont really know im hooked big time and i dont think i will ever get sick of chasing them.i love going out catching my live and fresh bait and targeting the biggens and its good to coz when your chasing the big jews every now and then you get some really big flatties like 5 kg ones and sometimes bigger.

so my fav fish are jews but if anyone wants to take me fishing for bream,kingies sambos it doesnt matter i just love being on the water and caching fish

cheers everyone

wayneo

Even though I love my bream and EP fishing My favorite is more a style of fishing using a 4-6kg spin stick casting lures around fringing reefs on the coast from central QLD and up where you never know what you will hook next everything from coral trout various lutjanids and cod all types of trevally queenies wolf herring tuskfish and a few different types of mackeral and not many people do it they are either up rivers chasing barra or out on the great barrier reef They dont know what they are missing :biggrin2:

Edited by The Iceman

I'd have to say pound for pound the mighty Kingfish is a freight train in our estuary systems where I do most of my fishing but my all time favourite is chasing big Bream :thumbup: Unweighted nipper with 8lb line amongst structure um yeah hang on and the beauty is you will always get more than 1.. Mind you I caught a Spanish Mackeral at Coffs a few years ago and that went well. :biggrin2:

I'll give you 1 guess!!

Yep, it's the mighty Mulloway for me. It took me along time to work them out & I don't profess to know it all but for me the anticipation while waiting for them to show keeps me going after them, even after a few fishless nights.

There's also something special about chasing them from the shore. It's hard work, but cracking a 20kg+ fish from the shore on bait you've caught yourself is a very special feeling. I reckon they pull harder from land as well. You just don't have the leverage that you do from a boat.

Cheers,

Mine would have to be tailor, because once you get one they don't stop coming in the boat! great fun on light gear.

Oh its also one of my favourite eating fish too :biggrin2:

im sure it would change to jews from what ive heard about them, but i havent got one YET :thumbup:

Guest Aron

I like a mixed bag. Actually i like catching anything, and i those days i catch nothing i dont mind because it fantastic to be drifting for flatties, lying back with a coldy and taking in the surrounds.

Whitting, bream, flathead.

I also enjoy collecting bait - nippers, poddies, crabs, slimies, yakkas & squid

Edited by Aron

Guest madsmc

For me it would have to be the infamous underpant fish that I jagged back in March on the Cooks River with Stewy. This is the black frilly variant of the main species. :tease:

I feel very privileged because I'll probably never catch one again in my lifetime. :biggrin2:

Seriously though, I don't have an out and out favourite. As long as I'm catching something I'm generally happy, as long as it's not pest fish like tiny, plastic destroying choppers or stinky pike.

There are still a few species on my "to do" list, so my take on this might change sometime in the future. :biggrin2:

Shane

:1fishing1:

Great topic....

I love catching salmon on light line.. great figh and they give a really good account of themselves

For a relaxing arvo its hard to beat blackfish... its simple, laid back and teh hardest choice you have to make is what depth to fish :1prop:

But the all time fave would have to be bass on the surface..... There is something about watching your little jitterbug on its way back to the boat... just the anticipation is awesome... then there are those unexpected strikes right at your feet that scare the bejeesus out of ya

Everything has its time and place I reckon.

However if I were to be pushed into naming my absolute favourite fish to catch . . . . well I guess I'd have to say big Tailor. When they're on they are super aggro and I love the anticipation of throwing a ganged pillie into water that you KNOW is full of big toothy pelagics who are going to smash the bait as soon as they see it. Salmon fight just as well but there's something about the poor eating quality that means they're slightly less fun.

I've never caught a Kingy or a Jew so I can't really include them amongst the list, although as others have said I suspect they will be frontrunners as soon as I can pick one up!!!

Mondo

I think my favorite fish is also the Kingy.

Whether its trolling inclose waiting for the ratchet to scream zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

or live baiting, they give a great acount of themselves both in the water and on the plate :biggrin2:

Some fish id love to catch would be a jew, marlin, yellow fin.

Fingers crossed i can wipe one off the list on Monday at Browns

My fishraider name is made up of the two I like to catch the most.

Kings and Pigs (drummer). Both fight hard and dirty. Kings on my 10wt are good fun and I was quite sucessful last summer. But I am having difficulty finding any good sized pigs this winter.

I still like fishing fo reverything else but.

Cheers

Kingpig

I love catching big bream because they always surprise the hell out of me when they take off, also like Trevally and large Flathead on light gear and have caught the occasional kingfish but they mostly bust me off on the gear I use (got one 62cm on a 2500 size reel with 10lb line 20lb leader last summer what a rush). Being land based, living in the inner city and not having a car or access to a boat has determined what I fish for. Looking forward to broadening the horizon.

Cheers