A Question For Owners Of Haines V17's

davez104

Hi all,

Am looking at buying a boat to do a bit of reef fishing off Rockhampton/Gladstone area. I am leaning towards a Haines v17c at this point, anyone who owns one seems to love them. My dad had one when I was a kid and we used it for offshore work as well as crabbing in the creeks, with a 175 Merc it was also a rocket! Just wanting to know what size outboards people run on thiers and what sort of economy/range they are getting from them. It would also be good if you could give me some aprox performance figures as well.

Thanks.

Dave.

G,day Dave,

I am lucky enough to own a Haines V17L Cuddy with a Johnson 140hp. I fish reefs and still use it to Scuba dive. The worst fuel consumption I have had 3 divers 6 tanks and associated dive gear 1lt per klm at 3/4 to full throttle in flat conditions on a run to Broughton Island out of Port Stephens. speed 60 - 70kph from GPS.

With the price of fuel going up I now am conscious of how far I push the throttle down and have now started more trolling. Last big trip I did at South West Rocks I logged 93 klms in a full day and used 40 lts for the day.

Thanks Pete,

Yeah, fuel prices are a bit of an issue, but it won't be a problem unless fuel consumption is ridiculous. I used to fish out of a 21' haines that had 350L under the floor and we had to carry extra juice to do a 100Nm round trip, don't really want anything like that. The V17L sure is a sweet looking rig, but don't see many for sale though. I think it will be 17C I end up with, just gotta do abit of work to my current rig and sell her before I start shopping.

Thanks.

Dave.