Botany Bay - 16-july-06

ozeash

G'day raiders,

pekingduck and I were a bit disappointed when Ross Hunter called last night to cancel the charter for today - the weather was looking unfriendly. When you think about it, today was a 50/50 chance of getting offshore and I admire Ross' commitment to showing his clients a good time out and not taking a chance on a possibly dodgy day. Considering his livelihood depends on getting boats out to sea, :thumbup::thumbup: to Ross for putting our comfort and experience first.

Having said that - nothing wrong with us taking pekingduck's boat out today in closed waters :biggrin2: , and we agreed to meet at 5:30am this morning. Hooked up shortly after 5:30am and drove to Pennrhyn Road ramp in Botany Bay. Launched without any drama in reasonable conditions - moderate NW to 10knots. First run of Mol Point yielded nothing and we decided to take a peek at the heads. Conditions were not very pleasant with 2m+ swells and wind increasing to about 15 knots. Headed back to cover, trolled in the area, ran out to the 3rd runway, went back out the heads (better conditions) and trolled all the way to Maroubra - for zip, nada. Headed back to the hot water outlet (negotiating some very nasty conditions, reminding me of the movie, Perfect Storm) for 2 tailor on SP's (both pekingducks). It's about 12noon now and we've spent 5hrs on the water with very little to show for it.

Bumped into outnumbered at Mol Point with CFD, sammy0884 + 1 more as crew. Good seeing you boys and thanks for the heads-up on the action at Mol Point which got us back there at about 12:30.

Trev's were coming in hard and fast - we got in on the action. Also, landed 2 Port Jackson Sharks 80 - 100cms on bream gear - great fun!! Will leave it to pekingduck to tell you the tale of the bird :biggrin2:

All up, I think we caught about a dozen trevs, too many slimies to count, 2 tailors, a lone yakka, the sharks and the bird. Great day out on the water and thanks to pekingduck for taking me out.

Also, a word of thanks to pekingduck, outnumbered, sammy0884 and cfd for some fishing lessons - much appreciated guys, it's people like you who help make better fishermen :thumbup::thumbup:

Cheers,

Ash

Edited by ozeash

Impulse and I might have been in the boat next to you if you pulled in a PJ shark around 1230 at Molineux point. We left shortly after that to try our luck over towards the hot water outlet.

Think we saw Outnumbered and crew at the mutch ave ramp cleaning their catch when we were leaving. Unfortunately our day wasn't as productive as you guys. From the sounds of it we probably should have stayed at molineaux point a bit longer

Yeah was a strange day on the Bay. The conditions changed so quickly and so many times throughout the day.

Shame we lost the bird Ash, would have made nice Pekingduck.

CFD ....thanks for the heads up on the trevs. Saved the day for us. We were on the verge of pulling the pin, when your call came through.

Outnumbered and crew...thanks for being our berley boat. Hope to repay the favour one day. Think a good proper burley bucket is the next purchase for my boat. Saves having a bucket of stinky burley sitting around in the boat waiting to be knocked over.

inked...which boat were you in ? was it the Ally with the full set of clears ?

inked...which boat were you in ? was it the Ally with the full set of clears ?

we were in Impulse's boat, which I think is a 4.8m yellow and white haines cuddy cabin.

did you guys have problems with your anchor rope before you landed the PJ shark?

we were in Impulse's boat, which I think is a 4.8m yellow and white haines cuddy cabin.

did you guys have problems with your anchor rope before you landed the PJ shark?

G'day inked - Yup, remember the boat. We didn't have problems with our anchor rope, but I did duck out the front to check for slack because we thought we were drifting. Hope to see you on the water again, say hey to us next time!

Cheers,

Ash