Botany 16/7

Outnumbered

ok looks like i better post the report

after noticing that sunday was supose to be reasonably good weather and the wife reminding me we were running out of fish i made a few phone calls and organised a full boat for sunday morning.

met up with CFD, sammy 08840759475, and seajay at 6:30 for a bread and butter seeking session on the trevs with the possibility of slipping outside for a bit of sambo action if the weather permitted.

as we neared the heads (or at least where we thought they should be)the fog parted and conditions looked ok so we headed out to try to find some sambo's.

how deceptive things can be, once we made it to the heads we were greated by an angry swell pushing 2-2.5 mtrs so we chickened out turned around and surfed the boat back in to calmer waters.

we set up at mol point and got to work on a burley trail and fished the run up for a few trevs but nothing exciteing, fished through the change, still not much action.

then when we were starting to think about a move on the run out things started to heat up, i switched to a bait jig and pulled up what we all think is a jacket of some sort, it was hard as a rock all over (chris has the pic)

then the trevs started to come on and it was all hands on deck for a trev fest, they took everything we threw at them, prawn, squid, plastics and jigs. for about the last hour we were visited by a school of slimies that are now sitting in the freezer waiting to become a burley slurry and baits for a future trip.

we pulled the pin just before sundown and went back to the ramp to clean the catch and unload the boat after a fun day on the bay.

it was great to meet up with fellow raiders out there (and at the ramp)

hopefully chris will post the pic so we can get a positive id on the jacket?

thanks guy's for the company your all welcome on my boat anytime. :thumbup:

Dammmmmm I am still spewing I couldnt make it :mad3: Great to see all the raiders helping each other out to get a feed of fish :thumbup:

Thanks for the invite too Brian, I really appreciated it :biggrin2:

Hopefully next time I will be off shift

Cheers Stewy

sounds like a great day on the bay.

We left Moulineaux about the time you were going to pull the pin. We should have hung around a bit longer :05:

I thought I recognised your boat on the trailer as we got back to the ramp, thought I recognised CFD from his pics on here too. Next time we'll come and say gday

i hope someone can identify it, i want to have an entry in catch of the month :074:

Hi Guys,

I'll take a stab and say it's a Box Fish - common name.

Great report by the way. The conditions look fantastic and you all obviously had a great time.

Cheers,

Edit, OK, did a search on my fish ID site and came up with the Eastern Smooth Box Fish.

"The Eastern Smooth Boxfish has a hard carapace that is covered with a pattern of triangles and low bumps. Adults have a strong ridge along the dorsal and ventral midlines. There are weaker ridges passing over the eyes and under the pectoral fins. Juveniles are nearly spherical?"

post-237-1153128335_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

David.

Edited by mottyman

Guest Sea Jay

Thats looks like the fish Mottyman, its was hard as a rock.

Was a great day on the water, thanks brian for the invite i had a ball

What more can you ask for Good company, great weather, Full bag of fish and possibly being in the background of a game bride and grooms wedding photos, They where on those concrete pilons at molly point right down near the edge of the water in all there wedding gear

1 freak wave and we would have been fishing :1fishing1: them out of the water (That would have given Chris and sammys new gear a test.

Thanks again for the day Brian

Iain

Hi Guys,

I'll take a stab and say it's a Box Fish - common name.

Great report by the way. The conditions look fantastic and you all obviously had a great time.

Cheers,

Edit, OK, did a search on my fish ID site and came up with the Eastern Smooth Box Fish.

post-237-1153128335_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

David.

Damn you, motty - stole a question for me! :074:

Yes guys. I just checked this topic. It is an Eastern Smooth Boxfish, latin name Anoplocapros inermis . I actually caught a few about a month ago in Port Hacking and that's when I figured out what they were. Here's a link:

http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfact...sh/ainermis.htm

Flattieman.

I caught one of those at Moulineaux point about six months ago when I was out with Hussar480.

It actually put up a bit of a fight early on, then just felt like a dead weight bringing it in. It felt like a brick when you touched it, and was almost dead by the time I boated it.

Weird fish?

I sent pics to my grandfather in NZ and he called it as a clown toado ( sounded like something out of lord of the rings)

but I think mottyman has got it!

Edited by inked