Lures (collection)

Shaun

Ok guys i currently have next to no lures but wanna get into them and give them a go!

Dont know all that much about them but have been reading up a lil bit of the forum!

So what im after is a nice lil list that would get me started covering most bases.

Ive heard and read alot of the rapalas cd7s and 9s they seem to be a goer for tailor/salmon/bonito.

Feel free to share whatever u guys use and find effictive

I fish saltwater and out of a boat and am happy to hunt anything

Cheers.

G'day mate,

You can't go far wrong with Rapala's and the ones you've mentioned are great. Also, have a close look at the Rapala X-Rap Slash Baits that are out now. They're holographic and just look great. River2Sea also make a good range of deep diving minnows which sell for about the $13 dollar mark. Then getting cheaper there are the Berkley Frenzy range - quite cheap and good fish takers. The pic below is of a Rapala X-Rap....

post-237-1153215524_thumb.jpg

Also, some of the cheaper lures are well worth a try. Smiln jacks in bigger sizes as well as Outback and Kokoda lures all work well and are very cheap. From about four bucks up to about ten. They might need a little tuning but you get that with very cheap lures. The better more expensive brands will swim true strait out of the box.

Last out on the Parra I was trolling a deep diving outback lure and picked up a few tailor on it. The hurt on the pocket a lot less when you lose a couple to the choppers as well.

I've got a few of all of the lures mentioned above and they all go great and take fish so that makes them good value I reckon.

Anyway, just my thoughts, others will have more, and, better ideas. The list of lures out there is as long as your arm fair dinkum :wacko:

I'd be happy to post pics of the lures I've mentioned above if you'd like. I just need to photograph them all first.

Hope that helps you out.

Cheers

David.

And here's a couple of little hardbodies that have served me well:

Attack Minnow - 50mm long exc. bib, 60mm inc. bib

Halco Scorpion 35 - 40mm long exc. bib, 55mm inc. bib

I've caught good tailor and flatties on both of these lures, but they'll both catch about anything that swims.

I only use Owner trebles - I think they're the sharpest and best suited for small lures.

Remember to always check trebles, split rings and the action of the lure before you use it - tweak the lure if needed.

Below: Pink Attack Minnow - Size 8 Owner trebles

Gold Halco 35 (well battle-scarred!) - ready for new trebles and split rings.

post-1466-1153216246_thumb.jpg

The lures are pictured on 5mm graph paper.

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

a MUST on your list if you want to target kings and other pelagics in summer is a small pink or purple skirt of between 3 and 6 inches.

i find something with a bit of feather in it works really well too,

my most successful lure last season (took 12 of my 16 kings) was a little pink lure made by silstar i think it was of about 4 inches long rigged and ready to go (i hate stuffing around with lures once you buy them)

here is a pic of it

post-802-1153214057_thumb.jpg

we had 3 of these lures out in different colours (pink, blue and purple) and the pink one always went off first,

this is the usual setup...

post-802-1153214828_thumb.jpg

the lure directly out the back of the motor took the most hits regardless of colour however when lures set at same distance the pink always went off first

the distance from the back of the boat is written next to the lures

hope this helps and this is the most successful way of catching kings for me

CFD

great work mate on the diagram

I agree, have your lures working at different distances, As mentioned small skirts are great as are minnows, i have found the mackeral lookalike minnows work really well.

The two bottom ones are rapalas, very coomon, the bottom one has been smashed by Kings and was a well hit lure last week with the salmon.]

The top one is a Mclaughlin Strike pro that cost me $5.95, it was ripped to shreads by the salmon, definately the pick of the day, metal bibbed and great colours.

Guest Jewel

Pink squids with feathers and tinsel.......... old school all the way but damned effective!

The Rapalas in mac or fire tiger pattern CD9 or CD7.

What else do you really need!!!!

I dont know :1prop: thats why im asking HAHA

Come on guys there has to be a few more , and please list what species you target with them and have sucsess with.

REgards Shaun

the pictured minnows will get you all types of pelagics

Kings, Salmon, Bonitos, Striped Tuna, Tailor and more

I agree, have your lures working at different distances, As mentioned small skirts are great as are minnows, i have found the mackeral lookalike minnows work really well.

The two bottom ones are rapalas, very coomon, the bottom one has been smashed by Kings and was a well hit lure last week with the salmon.]

The top one is a Mclaughlin Strike pro that cost me $5.95, it was ripped to shreads by the salmon, definately the pick of the day, metal bibbed and great colours.

thank you for the pictures, I think i will be out buying a few of those lures very soon in time for summer. I was wondering how long the two rapala's are that you use?

a MUST on your list if you want to target kings and other pelagics in summer is a small pink or purple skirt of between 3 and 6 inches.

i find something with a bit of feather in it works really well too,

my most successful lure last season (took 12 of my 16 kings) was a little pink lure made by silstar i think it was of about 4 inches long rigged and ready to go (i hate stuffing around with lures once you buy them)

here is a pic of it

post-802-1153214057_thumb.jpg

we had 3 of these lures out in different colours (pink, blue and purple) and the pink one always went off first,

this is the usual setup...

post-802-1153214828_thumb.jpg

the lure directly out the back of the motor took the most hits regardless of colour however when lures set at same distance the pink always went off first

the distance from the back of the boat is written next to the lures

hope this helps and this is the most successful way of catching kings for me

CFD

CFD great diagrams mate, i will definantly use your information wisely in time for summer :thumbup:

My favourite are the Rapala CD-9's and then the CD-11's.

Mackeral and redhead (like the ones shown in the photos) are my favourite too. I troll 3 or four of them behind the transom at different lengths and between 4.5 to 6 knots. I've caught 10 tailor and a spotted mackeral in the past week in Pittwater and not because I'm a good fisherman, but because I had the CD's draggin out the back. I've only been using bibbed minnows for 2 years and it still blows me away how effective they can be. Still to hook a kingy with them, but i've been told the bibbed minnows will get the kings, but from everything I've heard, the pink small christmas trees are the go for kings (that's what Ross Hunter also uses on Billfisher).

Hope this helps, go drag some around some headlands and structure and watch what happens