Where To Put The Transducer

netic

Hey fellas, another question in relation to fitting my sounder

That is the best place to put it, I removed the old one and the previous transducer was fitted to the left side of the boat, i always thought that the starboard side was better, any thoughts??

Also the instructions on the manual say make it around 75 mm of the prop, but my boat being alum and having a section that sticks out for the outboard i dont know where to put it,

I want to get the best performance from it so any advice will help, I have included pics to assist.

Edited by netic

Guest Reely

Where your old one was looks fine. I do not know how making it within 75mm of your prop could be good? It would pick up the white wash etc and interfere with the readings possibly?

Netic,

I was just reading the installation guide for my transducer and it states not to mount the transducer any closer than 1 foot to the engines lower unit as water cavitation will interfer with the operation.

Regards

Paul.

Also, should i place the transducer so it sits below the bottom of the boat or above

eg. See pics

Also is it fine to put it right on the ridge of better to put it on the flat part of the bottom,

Sorry for all the questions fellas but i wanna get this right so i get the best performance

I have set my one up the same way that your old one is and I have had no problems with my one at all.

Regards

Paul.

Also, should i place the transducer so it sits below the bottom of the boat or above

eg. See pics

Also is it fine to put it right on the ridge of better to put it on the flat part of the bottom,

Sorry for all the questions fellas but i wanna get this right so i get the best performance

Netic,

you always want it below the bottom of the hull, deeper the better in the water..

what i learnt from playing with mine is that for best results the transducer needs to be angled parallel to the bottom of the boat and perfectly horizontal, use a spirit level if you have one. This way you will be getting the most accurate reading of the ocean floor and the most accurate depth readings.

Cheers

Netic,

you always want it below the bottom of the hull, deeper the better in the water..

what i learnt from playing with mine is that for best results the transducer needs to be angled parallel to the bottom of the boat and perfectly horizontal, use a spirit level if you have one. This way you will be getting the most accurate reading of the ocean floor and the most accurate depth readings.

Cheers

Sammy, would you move it down towards the centre of the boat more, say right beside the plug

Sammy, would you move it down towards the centre of the boat more, say right beside the plug

You need it in a section that gives a clean wake on the plane, on my poly i put it inside the pod extensions, but i think that about halfway between the motor and the rail chine is about as far out as you want to go, as any further out and the transducer might come out of the water on a turn

Hey Sammy, mate im not to fimilar with the boat terms,

What is the Chine, do you mean the square bit in the middle where the motor sits??

If you can can you mark on the pic where you would put it.

Hey Sammy, mate im not to fimilar with the boat terms,

What is the Chine, do you mean the square bit in the middle where the motor sits??

If you can can you mark on the pic where you would put it.

sorry for the jargen netic, i'd place the transducer right next to the bung, below the bottom of the boat

These two pics are of my setup, one has the unit higher than the other. Both work but the lower one is better at speed. Note how it is placed between the boat ribs so the water flows cleanly over the unit.

Howard.

2 nd photo

Edited by bluefin

Guest Jewel

Your old unit has a skimmer thansducer which are supposed to sit high in the water, other styles are designed to sit low, so placement may vary depending on the type.

If your manual is unclear why dont you contact the dealer, they will have answered the question before.

Netic

With the bracket that screws onto the boat. is there an adjustment to raise or lower the unit? My boat is almost out of the water at speed, so the lower setting works best. Lowrance say to mount it like the higher one.

Howard.

Well the units instructions are not very clear at all, it is a Raymarine DS500x.

The transducer also has speed so it has the paddle wheel on it,

Everyone i speak too gives me a different opinion.

Im very confused

Whats worring me is the original unit that came with the boat didnt work after 4 knots, couldnt even get a depth reading. So i can only assume the original position is not all that good

Edited by netic

Well the units instructions are not very clear at all, it is a Raymarine DS500x.

Im very confused

Whats worring me is the original unit that came with the boat didnt work after 4 knots, couldnt even get a depth reading. So i can only assume the original position is not all that good

i can get a good read up until about 25kn in my boat

Im very confused

Hi Netic

The position that u had your old one in is almost perfect, except that bcoz u

have the paddle wheel below your transducer,the whole lot needs to be lower

down towards the bottom of your boat,this will allow the water to pass

uninterupted under your boat and on to your transducers paddle wheel and

give u an accurate speed reading.

:beersmile: penguin

Edited by penguin

Hi Netic

The position that u had your old one in is almost perfect, except that bcoz u

have the paddle wheel below your transducer,the whole lot needs to be lower

down towards the bottom of your boat,this will allow the water to pass

uninterupted under your boat and on to your transducers paddle wheel and

give u an accurate speed reading.

:beersmile: penguin

Hey penguin, how about the ridge that is right next to it, will that effect it, should i move it closer to the bunger

Hey penguin, how about the ridge that is right next to it, will that effect it, should i move it closer to the bunger

Yes it will! It creates turbulence which upsets the echo!

Mount it behind a flat surface to get clean water over it!

The way i mounted mine was too low, so i get spray out of the back at speed. it is also mounted to the right hand side, as instructed by the manual. I noticed when reversing, at even very slow speeds, i get alot of interference, but when traveling forward its perfect to about 20km/h. Im guessing because of the wash from the direction of the propellor, so im glad its mounted on the right hand side of my boat. However your boat has a pod, so this probably clears the wash away from your tranducer..

If your old sounder was working, then i would stick it in the same place without worrying about drilling more holes in your transom.

Hey Netic,

I got a book "Depth Sounder Secrets" writen by Rick Huckstepp

There is a great section about setting up the transducer

PM me your address and i will express post it to you (as a loan)

Cheers

Aron

Hey Netic,

I got a book "Depth Sounder Secrets" writen by Rick Huckstepp

There is a great section about setting up the transducer

PM me your address and i will express post it to you (as a loan)

Cheers

Aron

Thanks for the offer Aron but i will be installing the bastard tonight ready for the weekend. SO i wont be able to use the book.

Keepin Tabs

One problem i have is the live bait punp is on the right as is the boats speedo things at the back, would you still put it there with that stuff there

Thanks for the offer Aron but i will be installing the bastard tonight ready for the weekend. SO i wont be able to use the book.

no problem.

I will just quote a couple of lines from the book which are important

" Check there are no strakes (ribs) directly infront of the transducer, the transducer should be positioned between strakes.

Ensure that there are no trailer skids in front of the transducer as these will creat wear & tear on the hull, which may result in turbulence generated.

Place the transducer against the transom and use a ruler or straight edge on the bottom of the hull - the lower half of the transducer housing should be below the "V" of the hull, in front of it.

A spray gaurd will prevent excessive spay (roster tail) from the transducer set below the hull when traveling at speed, making up a spray guard to deflect that spray is simple and a piece of bent plastic or aluminium siliconed to the hull will alleviate the problem. (be sure to use a suitable silicone such as sika-flex as the domestic silicone based products are highly acidic and will eat though aluminium in no time)

Ensure that the tail end of the transducer is slightly tilted down if you are getting breaks in the transmission of the image. Also if this intermitent display continues, it may be that the transducer must be adjusted deeper in the water".

Netic

Just a little thing but check the run of weld where the transom plate meets the bottom of the hull right in front of where you want to mount the transducer. Often the run of weld on this joint protrudes below the line of the hull bottom and produces unwanted turbulence. It can be rectified as I did by filling the area with araldite or epoxy and then filling smooth) making sure not to file into the weld anymore than possible. Good luck with it.

John