My Life Is Dependant On "the Moon"

Tom Tom

Guys,

Over the past year I have taken notice of the moon before I even think of going out.

My Rule

4 -5 days before full moon

4 - 5 days before new moon

I've even tested this by going out, out side these times, coming home with nothing!

So there are really 48 days a year with a high percentage chance of catching fish!

Do you think it applies to most fish types?

Hi Tomtom,

I assume you refering to night fishing

I fish during the day and i can tell you that the pelagic species I target dont seem to be working in conjunction with moon phases.

I have caught them on Full moons, no moons half moons

You can probably confirm this by going back through the fishing reports by various members and checking the dates they were caught in conjunction with the moon.

Tom Tom

Fishing is always better around the new and full moons, though it has more to do with the tides than the actual moon (even though the moon is, of course, the reason for the tides).

The largest tides in the cycle always coincide with the new and full moon and, and since more run = more fun the best fishing will usually ocur at these times too. The actual amount of light generated by the moon will impact night fishing to a certain extent (as netic suggests), but during the day the tides play a much bigger part.

G'day tomtom;

I think its very hard to pinpoint good results on one thing.

The runup on both moons ( 2 days ) is usually pretty good, but never on the fullmoon day ( usually crap ).

Also a few days after both phases is also good,however you need at least one of other options to be

right, tide, current, wind direction, and most importantly barometric pressure,rising, if you can have all of

these coinciding at the same time you generally clean up. This is very rare, my thoughts are mainly

based on outside fishing.

I really dont take notice the moon that much I have caught fish at night on all moons and when there is no moon at all I tend to do better around bridges. I just like to go anyway because you dont catch fish if you havnt got a line in the water. I also think its a confidence thing and may also have something to do with the power of positive thinking.

I always remeber the crazy nights at the pub I worked at years ago when there was a full moon :wacko:

The crazies would come out in force and we always put on an extra security guard. Even some friends of mine who are cops tell me that on the night of the full moon crime increases by 14% weird huh?

I always remeber the crazy nights at the pub I worked at years ago when there was a full moon :wacko:

The crazies would come out in force and we always put on an extra security guard. Even some friends of mine who are cops tell me that on the night of the full moon crime increases by 14% weird huh?

That's where the term "lunatic" comes from - "lunaticus" (Latin) which stems from "luna" referring to the moon. Basically, it's a representation of folklore and documentation that people act strangely around the full moon. This does have some fact - mood disorders such as bipolar disorder are thought to possibly go through phases, with the full moon providing light when there shouldn't be - at night - thereby increasing sleep deprivation.

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

I really dont take notice the moon that much I have caught fish at night on all moons and when there is no moon at all I tend to do better around bridges. I just like to go anyway because you dont catch fish if you havnt got a line in the water. I also think its a confidence thing and may also have something to do with the power of positive thinking.

Yes I agree, patients ALWAYS have weird reactions and problems during full moon. Nurses plan their ward duties around the moon just like the cops and ambos etc.....

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

That's where the term "lunatic" comes from - "lunaticus" (Latin) which stems from "luna" referring to the moon. Basically, it's a representation of folklore and documentation that people act strangely around the full moon. This does have some fact - mood disorders such as bipolar disorder are thought to possibly go through phases, with the full moon providing light when there shouldn't be - at night - thereby increasing sleep deprivation.

Flattieman.

Flattieman,you're a freak! (and I mean that in the nicest possible way) :biggrin2:

another theory into the mix (mainly stems from NFQ) but does seem to ring true in NSW

pelagic fish (mackeral- tailor - queensfish -salmon) on the quarters of the moon

this was a pretty good guide up past cairns with pelagics best on the quarters - and barra on full moon and no moon

does seem to be a few more salmon reports on the quarters