Help

The Iceman

post-62-1154122156_thumb.jpg

I have a large garden bed in my front yard(roughly 8mx3m) with no plants

I have no idea about gardening and the :wife: wants plants in it so if you guys or girls could give me some tips on what to plant with the emphasis being on low maintenence it would be greatly appreciated

I am also willing to give the person whose tips I use some fishing tuition ie a session out in my poor little boat using SPs and HBs in either the Georges river or Port Hacking :thumbup:

Guest Dont Shoot Da Chinamen

I have no idea about gardening and the :wife: wants plants in it so if you guys or girls could give me some tips on what to plant with the emphasis being on low maintenence it would be greatly appreciated

I am also willing to give the person whose tips I use some fishing tuition ie a session out in my poor little boat using SPs and HBs in either the Georges river or Port Hacking :thumbup:

maybe a few palm trees

on both sides of the yard

plant the bugger and just water it every now and than

it will get attention focused on ur home as it kinda gives the yard a (&^$^#) feel

u know what i mean

or just tell ur :wife: to plant her own shrubs :074::074::074:

native,s are the go grevillia,s , black boys, and native grasses etc more hardy and brings native birds around

G'day Iceman.

I have just done something similar in by brand new house.Actually I paid a pro. landscaper to do it all for me

as a job that big was just too much for an old bugger like me.

On his advice, I planted lots of Liriopes and around the fenceline, planted Murrayas. They are both very drought tolerant. On the borders I planted lots of Mondo grass.

For features, I chose Michaelia Coco (Port Wine Magnolias) as they grow to a height of about 3 metres and don't need a lot of maintenance and flower in the spring/summer with a really nice perfume.

In semi shady areas, I used Golden Cane Palms another plant I can't recall the name of just now.

I then put lots of Napean River pebbles (about 40mm) in between and it all came up a treat. No bloody lawns to mow either :thumbup:

Another tip I got from the landscaper was to paint your paling fences black or charcoal colour.It makes the green foliage really stand out and almost makes the ugly old paling fence disappear.

Good luck with your project.

Edited by MallacootaPete

Guest Boppa

Have to agree with Noah

Natives are the way to go my backyard is full of them and I haven't touched them in years :biggrin2:

And yes I do work for NPWS

Boppa

I would suggest grabbing a fishing rod and going down to catch a heap of carp to dig into the ground for fertiliser.

You can always tell the :wife: that you need to fish as a part of the preperations for the new garden.

Regards

Paul.

Iceman,

The first thing to do is go for a walk arround your area and see what other people have growing and what seems to be surviving and what seems to be dying. Make a list if you know them or take photos to show your plant shop if you don't. Then decide what plants on the thriving list you like and put them in. At least that way you have an idea of what the soil in the area will support.

Cheers

Trev

Proteas are a very nice feature tree as well and they dont like a lot of water (pink ice ) is the one to get ,thats the ones you see in a lot of flower arrangements at the florist :biggrin2:

Very Hardy

Cheers Stewy

A border of Mondograss would look good, then a few natives scattered around. Dwalf and ground cover varieties are good as the won't block out the house. Grevillea Robyn Gordon is a beauty 1 mtr high and 1.5 to 2 across with red flowers most of the year. So to is the Tibouchina Joules a shorter flowering season but brilliant purple in autum, the rest of the year it is a compact green shrub to around 1 mtr. Banksia perhaps?

Maybe 1 taller shrub as a show piece in the middle or near the driveway?

Have a walk around the block and see what is growing well. Go to the local nursery, have a look around, ask there advice on what grows well in your area.

Mulch well, at least 75m/m thick, cypress pine is good as termites dont like it, or pebbles?

Depends what you like.

Howard.