How To Store Green Weed For Blackfishing

arpie

Hi there

This is my second season of blackfishing (so still in the learner class.) My question is:

What is the best way of storing green weed (especially in the warmer months) so that it is in the best condition it can be for fishing? Currently, I have been wrapping it in towelling or those big pink dish cloths and giving it a good soaking in estuary every time I go down to fish. I then squeeze out nearly all the water & keep it in a cool place - usually in a plastic bag in a bucket.

When I gather it, I also squeeze out all/most of the water before wrapping it up - is this the correct thing to do? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Roberta

G'day Roberta

Its sounds like you are doing all the right things

The only difference I have is I use newspaper and leave just enough water in the weed to make the paper damp. But I recon cloth or rag would have the same effect.

One thing I would change is don't store it in a plastic bag just leve it in the bucket. I have found the weed sweats alot more and it will hold up better if allowed to breath. Just dont let it dry out..

But as with all baits fresh is best :1prop:

G`day Fellas ,

Roberta , my Dad had an old fridge in the Garage , and after laying the weed out in strips on newspaper , he would roll it up and store it in the crisper , and it always worked a treat.

Others prepare it the same way , but place it under the coolest part of the house where you have a constant draft , this also usually works a treat , unless mice , or rats are particularly hungy , and if so , on the odd occasion have gobbled it up .

Weed is a pretty hardy bait source , and keeps rather well .

I`m going to be interested in any other methods people have used over time to store theirs , but the fridge method is the most popular one here , because weed is scarcer than discount petrol at the moment.

Mick

G`day fellas ,

One of My Neighbours , who only fishes for blackfish stores his weed in the freezer can you believe .

Rolls it up in newspaer in long thin strands , he then stuffs it into an old stocking , and pops it in the freezer .

And boy does he get them when they are on .

Mick

One of My Neighbours , who only fishes for blackfish stores his weed in the freezer can you believe .

Wow! I never would have thought of that one!! I will try that with some of it, as I want it to last as long as it will! Are you sure he was not pulling your leg??

I have popped it in the fridge before today, but not the crisper! Will try them all & compare notes.

We've been getting some great blackies on the breakwall at Forster recently - a bit slower this week, but going off for the 2 - 3 weeks prior to that. Good size, too - averaging 40cm

Cheers, Roberta