1. 1. Which Outboard would you buy?

• Yamaha
    • Mercury
    • Johnson
    • Evinrude
    • Suzuki
    • Tohatsu
    • Honda
  2. 2. Which outboard would be the last one you would buy?

• Yamaha
    • Mercury
    • Johnson
    • Evinrude
    • Suzuki
    • Tohatsu
    • Honda

If I had the money...... I have read quite a bit about the new Etec Evinrudes , would love to have one at the back of my boat!!

As for least likely to buy , after reading bisso's tale of woe , its not surprising that that particular brand is getting a lot of votes !!!

Ross

From what i know the 4 stroke Suzuki's are quite good, the 2 stroke ones are not, my mate had 2 x 98 models (2 strokes) on the back of his Sharkcat and both needed a full rebuild at 600 hours

Edited by netic

I also think you should differentiate between manufacturers 2 Stroke and 4 Stroke engines.

Evinrude's new generation 2-stroke e-tecs are awesome, but the rest of their range has a fairly bad reputation. I think Evinrude's results in this poll are riding on the back of the e-tecs.

Having said that I don't know why anyone would buy a 4-stroke now that the new generation 2-strokes are available. Faster, more powerful, less emissions, better fuel efficiency, much more effective at low-speed, just as quiet as a 4-stroke and heaps less servicing.

I did the research before recently buying a new motor and couldn't go past them (although I went for the Merc Optimax rather than the Evinrude e-tec). The results of my research were so one-sided that I fear I've missed some major advantage of a 4-stroke over a 2-stroke but I'm buggered if I can figure it out. Maybe longevity?

Netic,

I personally own a DF115 Suzuki 4 stroke which pushs a Trailcraft Profish 5.35m Ally boat

My experience are nothing more than praise. Having previouslly owned a 15 Johnson 25 Evinrude 50 Evinrude & 90 Johnson. The suzuki in fuel consumption would use about 60% less fuel than a two

stroke 90. The servicing issues in regards to a etec are exaclly the same infact a dealer when I was looking to purchase the 115 etec told me basically mad if you dont service it every year.

My choice was a difficult one yes but am more than happy, by the way they now come with a five year warranty.

Yes I do agree that they are slower out the hole. ifixed this by the placement of a Four blade prop.

Theres a few stories going aroound about commerical operators with the Suzuki 4 strokes with 4000 plus hours on the clock.

Put it this way suzuki in my opinion is the best four stroke on the market

Hello fellow raiders as I am am new to the forum. Have not logged in to post previouslly

regards

Drew

I went for Evinrude that being the ETEC. Very very good motors.

Least fav is Mercury. Just dont like them. Never have, never will.

Totally understand the Tohatsu running last after Bisso being absolutely screwed. I wouldnt buy one of them out of principal. Tohatsu just dont give a stuff do they.

Guest bluecod

Bit like a F--D aren't they grant.

I favoured the Yamaha over the Suzuki - mainly as i own one, but have heard good stories about the Suzuki 4-strokes.

It would be interesting to run this Poll in another twelve months to compare results, as the memory of Bisso's debacle may have then faded.

Codszilla,

Suzuki now only sell a 9.9, 15, 30 and 40 in two stroke, everything else is four strokes. They will be phasing out all two strokes over the coming few years, as are some of the other manufacturers. Basically, traditional two strokes (excluding the cleaner, more efficient DIs) won't be around for much longer as they can no longer pass the ever more stringent emmissions laws.

Mondo, could you please point me to some hard stats that show that DI 2-strokes are " Faster, more powerful, less emissions, better fuel efficiency, much more effective at low-speed, just as quiet as a 4-stroke and heaps less servicing."? All the stats and serious "apples for apples" shootouts between the various manufacturers 4-strokes and DI 2-strokes that I have read have shown this is not the case, and of course, every individual motor has different specs, and pros and cons in different performance areas (the Suzuki DF140 for instance is the lightest 140HP on the market, 4 OR 2 stroke). Take a look at some of the "Bass & Walleye Boats" magazine or PowerBoat magazine shootouts to see what I mean, or look at this thread for example on 150HPs - http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thread-...mode=2#M1044899

Cheers,

Ben.

Thats an interesting thread Ben ! Like the way it goes sour with personall attacks. :1prop:

I think to be fair it needs to be noted that when you say Suzuki do the lightest 140hp engine that neither Etec, Yamaha or Mercury produce a 140 hp engine. Comparing apples with apples the Suzi 150hp comes in at 215kg and the etec is 195kg as is Yamaha and Mercury approx. This is just what i found on the net.

The guist of that artical suggests to me that there is very little between these motors overall with etec beating suzi in some areas and vice versa. They are both pretty damn good. The comparison does in fact state the ETEC was the fastest overall though and the sound comparision was negligable.

After owning a 50 etec and a 60 johno 4 st ( Suzi 4 st ) I can say this.

The Johno/suzi is quiter and smoother. No doubt. Is it to the point that it reallt matters ? No

Id have to say the Johno/Suzi is better on fuel but not by a lot, in fact it wouldnt be a deciding factor from a sale perspective.

The ETEC did seem to have a better hole shot to me although the motors were on different boat but the Johno/ Suzi is s bit bigger and the boat a bit heavier.

End of the day they are both superb motors in their own right and blow the Honda's and Mercs away.

BPP do a pretty good job convincing people ETEC win every erea of comparison but you gotta take it with a grain of salt. To say they are quieter ( which they do ) is simply not true on my motors anyway, as an example.

As for service cost ther is no doubt that etec is cheaper. No schedule service for three years it claims. Well, lets assume that you still do a water pump and fuel filter during this time. Thats it then.

The 4 strokes have to have a yearly service plus the water pump and fuel filter.

There is just no way any 4 stroke is cheaper to service than an ETEC. What would one expect to spend on a 140hp Suzi 4 stoke over 3 years, lets have a look ?

Like i said both great motors - just different.

Cheers :thumbup:

Edited by Grantm

Guest Sea Tow Botany

I pick suzuki for my choice of motor

I run twin 140 4 strokes, they have been very very good to me, I also am saving around to 60% in fuel economy

I in fact think you should pick the best motor that best suits your boat

Dave

Sea Tow Botany Bay

I went for Evinrude that being the ETEC. Very very good motors.

Yeah same. I picked my ETEC 115 for the technology side of things. If it didn't run a computer and injection it would not have got a look in. Good to see that yami's 4 strokes are now injected, this motor would be second on the list. Nearly everyone I know told me to stay right away from mercs. Most of these people had changed from mercs to yami's over the past 5 years. Does anyone know the sales stats? (numbers sold each year)I still reckon merc would be bloody high on the list but there are alot of dealers out there pushin em.

Stallo

Bit like a F--D aren't they grant.

I favoured the Yamaha over the Suzuki - mainly as i own one, but have heard good stories about the Suzuki 4-strokes.

It would be interesting to run this Poll in another twelve months to compare results, as the memory of Bisso's debacle may have then faded.

i agree, it would be interesting to see how long peoples memories stick......

a new product means a new day and the past fades away..... not for mine though. scar tissue............

I'm not thrilled about the result as I own two Tohatsus and the poll results do not auger well for my resale value. I am very happy with these motors and I think they are hard to beat for reliability, power to weight and value for money. The bad name they seem to be getting will probably do me more harm than Tohatsu has ever done!

From what i know they are, im sure a member will know the exact details of the relationship between the 2 but from what i know they are both owned by the same company just different products, much like mercury and mariner or force for that matter. But i could be wrong.

Bombardier Recreational Products ( BRP) bought the Johnson and Evinrude outboard motor brands from bankrupt Outboard Marine Corp (OMC)in 2000 . In 2003, BRP was spun off from Bombardier Inc., a Canadian conglomerate that had $16 billion in annual sales with 83,000 employees.

The resulting stand-alone company is owned by a group that includes the Bombardier family, investment firm Bain Capital Inc. and Canadian pension fund Caisse de depot et placement du Quebec.

Ross

I'm not thrilled about the result as I own two Tohatsus and the poll results do not auger well for my resale value. I am very happy with these motors and I think they are hard to beat for reliability, power to weight and value for money. The bad name they seem to be getting will probably do me more harm than Tohatsu has ever done!

firstly, i concur and completely sympathise with you. i own one also, as i iterated in my post prior, i too feel and bear the brunt of what has occurred. is that my fault? i didnt ask for it and whilst i dont have any major qualms with the manufactor itself, the importer and the handling of the entire issue, i my opinion, leaves a lot to be desired. if the matter was, again, in my opinion, handled in a more thorough and professional manner, then i wouldnt have any hesitation in recommending tohatsu to everyone of you. unfortunately, for the sake of saving a few quid, the importer chose the other option, which i assume will relate to further negative repercussions down the track. sorry, but customer service isnt rated very high on their list.....

glad you have reliable ones and am honestly happy for you. if i had of known that the one i got was as weak as the day is long i wouldnt have bothered and stuck with my old johnson's. i am not bagging them in any way, remember that my resale is also up shit!!!. i hope the rebuilt motor i get back last 30 yrs as they should with TLC. however, in light of my situation, understandably, i would neither recommend tohatsu to others, nor purchase one myself ever again.......... as my mate put it who was with me at the time of the incident, "i have never seen a motor so weak"... that thought carries with me still today...

i hope tohatsu can reaffirm itself in the market place and a good resale would benefit all of us owners. i also hope you dont have to go down the same path that i did, as you would no doubt understand where i am coming from....

best of luck for trouble free motoring.....

, i would neither recommend tohatsu to others, nor purchase one myself ever again.......... as my mate put it who was with me at the time of the incident, "i have never seen a motor so weak"... that thought carries with me still today...

I don't think Tohatsus are at all "weak". All outboards have a couple of achillies heels in that they are vulnerable to overheating if starved of cooling water and can be extensively damaged by salt water entering the powerhead. The latter can happen through seals and gaskets in otherwise strong motors. Proper maintanence and pre-delivery sevices can help prevent this, but sometimes it just boils down to luck. Also with overheating sometimes its just bad luck that a plastic bag has caught around the water intake. Remember that smaller motors don't even have alarms. I cooked a 25 hp evinrude 2 months after I bought it because of this (and no, it wasn't covered by warranty).

I am sorry to hear about your warranty woes, but it is not an issue for me as my motors are well out of warranty. I am a bit worried about resale though as I am thinking of buying a new boat. I am actually cosidering just keeping my old '92 Tohatsu 90hp and putting it on the new boat as it is such a reliable motor why buy a new one!

Edited by billfisher

My uncle bought a tohatsu as this was the only brand his local dealer carried. It's a 15hp and he has had if for a few years now and it has never missed a beat. Thought it was only fair to post a good story - sometimes all we hear are the horror stories. For his needs I thought it was a good decision and it has served him well.

I do think if you are looking at small two strokes it doesn't matter too much.

Stallo