Hawesbury River 4/8/2006

abiasin

:beersmile: Hi guys sorry about the late report but hit the hawkesbury with a good mate of mine and his dad on thursday nite in hope for some fish.

Launched at Berowra and fished joe crafts creek for some time for nothing so we decided to move to the road bridges at brooklyn. found some nice structure under one of the pylons and anchored upcurrent.

Within literally 10 minutes i see my rod double over and a small soapie comes out. I was so stoked as ive been trying to catch a jewie large or small or ages with the freshest of baits with no success ever. This time i skipped the fresh bait and went for packet prawns, pillies and squid and came up trumps on a prawn.

Anyway they fight pretty good them soapies on light gear, had a shimano backbone graphite flick stick with 8 pound braid and the little bugger just kept running and shaking that head of his.

Unfortunately did not take a camera with us and he went 40cm so we had to let him go.

Did take photos of the flatty and octapus we got at the same spot. All in all it was a great night out, no wind, not cold unbelievably and the lightning made for a great show on the horizon for about 5 hrs.

Now that i got my first jew i need more, and bigger.

cheers.

post-1830-1154737555_thumb.jpg

well done mate what makes it even better is the fact you got it on the old prawn. may be a bit harder to tempt a bigger specie with a service station prawn though.

nevertheless very well done on getting your first jew.

Was there any problem in getting the squid? or you just didn t bother?

Thanks swordy, definately alittle more educated on where they may be now thats for sure, and as you said now for the trophy fish.

Was there any problem in getting the squid? or you just didn t bother?

no problem, it was a spur of the moment i think ill take my RDO on friday as opposed to next week and with all the rushing around to prep the boat didnt get time for fresh bait. Just wanted to be out on the water relaxing with fish as a good bonus.

will get the squid on my next serious attempt at fishing.

cheers

Thanks swordy, definately alittle more educated on where they may be now thats for sure, and as you said now for the trophy fish.

no problem, it was a spur of the moment i think ill take my RDO on friday as opposed to next week and with all the rushing around to prep the boat didnt get time for fresh bait. Just wanted to be out on the water relaxing with fish as a good bonus.

will get the squid on my next serious attempt at fishing.

cheers

righto champ was just a bit concerned there for a second thought he didnt have any or something. because im heading out tomorrow mornin.

i ll be in need of some thats for sure

Guest madsmc

Congrats on cracking your first jew mate. It's a great feeling to get that first one, whether it be big or small. :thumbup:

Don't be surprised if you find yourself thinking of nothing else but jew for the next few weeks. :biggrin2:

Shane

If its not legal it doesnt count! i've caught a couple of soapies before.

Don't shatter him R_Zee,

My first soapie went only just 56cm.

In my opinion they all count.

Regards

Paul.

It Sounds like that was fun on light gear...

If its not legal it doesnt count! i've caught a couple of soapies before.

man am i dying to get a jew!

a jew is a jew, 1cm or 1.5metres still the same fish, im stoked next is a big one for you.

cheers.

Hey KTD

Well done mate - i guess now you have the bug - the same bug that has driven

me crazy fo over 15 years - here are a few tips for your next trip.

Try the run out tide - last few hours.

Anchor about 30 meters up stream from the 2nd and 3rd pilon on

Mooney Mooney Bridge. Sydney side.

Cast your baits close to the pilons. Fish hang out in front eddies and along pilons.

They also hang out on the edges of the channels. They scour up and down

on the edge waiting for food to float into their lazy mouths.

Use a long trace - 1.5 to 2 meters - pilly fillet - mullet fillet - squid strip -

yellow tail strip or big hawkesbury prawns.

Get a bucket - put holes in it a few bricks and burley - throw overboard.

Hooks - VERY SHARP 4/0 to 7/0 hooks - dont buy cheap brands

a solid rod holder and keep your reel with a firm drag setting in rod holder. The

fish will hook themselves. Neat tides are slightly better - Moon does not phase me.

Finally carry a good gaf on board.

Negative - heaps of eels around that road bridge - :wife: do my head in.

Hope this helps - Good luck.

Edited by pacemode

Hey KTD

Well done mate - i guess now you have the bug - the same bug that has driven

me crazy fo over 15 years - here are a few tips for your next trip.

Try the run out tide - last few hours.

Anchor about 30 meters up stream from the 2nd and 3rd pilon on

Mooney Mooney Bridge. Sydney side.

Cast your baits close to the pilons. Fish hang out in front eddies and along pilons.

They also hang out on the edges of the channels. They scour up and down

on the edge waiting for food to float into their lazy mouths.

Use a long trace - 1.5 to 2 meters - pilly fillet - mullet fillet - squid strip -

yellow tail strip or big hawkesbury prawns.

Get a bucket - put holes in it a few bricks and burley - throw overboard.

Hooks - VERY SHARP 4/0 to 7/0 hooks - dont buy cheap brands

a solid rod holder and keep your reel with a firm drag setting in rod holder. The

fish will hook themselves. Neat tides are slightly better - Moon does not phase me.

Finally carry a good gaf on board.

Negative - heaps of eels around that road bridge - :wife: do my head in.

Hope this helps - Good luck.

mate i think your information was fairly informative but yet incorrect and thats what may be drive you crazy.

30 metres is not sufficient enough more like 60-70metres.

don t cast your baits upto the pylon how are you ment to stop the buggers (maybe for bream)

don t get a bucket because you will have know need to burley as it attracts all the rubbish including eels, and so forth.

i hope this helps and may not cause you :mad3: know longer

mate i think your information was fairly informative but yet incorrect and thats what may be drive you crazy.

30 metres is not sufficient enough more like 60-70metres.

don t cast your baits upto the pylon how are you ment to stop the buggers (maybe for bream)

don t get a bucket because you will have know need to burley as it attracts all the rubbish including eels, and so forth.

i hope this helps and may not cause you :mad3: know longer

Thanks James - have tried that also - have never lost a fish into the pilons

but on boats anchored around me. I do however get my fair share of jew

with success - I have been told many times to anchor about that far - in line

with the power cables above. Have had a little more success getting close to the

pilons. But I guess everyone has there own techniques. And I respect yours.

Another reason for getting close is that the smaller fish congregate close to

the pilons and thats what the bigger jew target. Burley helps those little fish

hang around. I have caught yellowtail and other livies under my boat thanks to

the burley.

I have tried not burleying also many time (laziness) and have caught the same

amount of eels. I do the same thing for all fish I target, and somehow will catch

fish whilst other people don't. Miind you they are at least 30 - 40 meters further

away then me from any structure.

Then again I have heaps to learn about fishing and I am sure others do also.

So if someone can get something positive out of this post then gr8.

Thanks mate.

i also believe any jew is a good jew.

Out of interest though.......what do you do with the occy?

the occy went great on the bbq. firstly boiled it to get it tender then diced it up and put it on the bbq in my mums special marinade with garlic and other things she puts in that i have no idea about.

oh and pacemode ill give your technique a go cant hurt to try everything.

cheers.

sound advice from mrfemalefisho...sorry pacemode :1prop: where did pacemode come from mate?

i had a good chat to pacemode (jim) at the social and i can assure you he is a top shelf fisho and is a valuable asset to all on this site. he was very open with info to me and i appreciate it greatly. if i learnt anything from fishing with him is that confidence brings results. we can all learn from each other and James methods obviously work for him to and thats great that we all think a little differntly in how to get results.

thanks to jims better half for finding this site, she is just as keen and im sure as good as her man-didnt get to find out cause she was busy with their little one- great team you guys have, was a pleasure to meet you both :thumbup:

as for me, ive always done well on the newcastle side on the runout at the fourth pylon using squid. give all the spots a go, im sure they all produce on their day.

good luck.

sound advice from mrfemalefisho...sorry pacemode :1prop: where did pacemode come from mate?

i had a good chat to pacemode (jim) at the social and i can assure you he is a top shelf fisho and is a valuable asset to all on this site. he was very open with info to me and i appreciate it greatly. if i learnt anything from fishing with him is that confidence brings results. we can all learn from each other and James methods obviously work for him to and thats great that we all think a little differntly in how to get results.

thanks to jims better half for finding this site, she is just as keen and im sure as good as her man-didnt get to find out cause she was busy with their little one- great team you guys have, was a pleasure to meet you both :thumbup:

as for me, ive always done well on the newcastle side on the runout at the fourth pylon using squid. give all the spots a go, im sure they all produce on their day.

good luck.

Ready for the Cheesy reasoning behind Pacemode

Was a name I had for my design business when I was @ uni.

I also like the band Depeche Mode

Pacemode - meant Fast Fashion.

I used to design cars and spoilers.

CHEEEEESY :beersmile:

Ive always thrown occy's back.

But now you might have convinced me to try one.

Sounds good

occy is great ay, if it is big do what my greek mates do and that is smash it against the concrete to tenderise it first so it is nice and soft to eat when cooked.

goes down great with a dozen beers too.

cheers.

Haha! it counts if you say so. i would be happy to see you catch a much nicer one next time.

I dont fish for jew much as i hardly do any night fishing. during the day i just chase up pelagics.

do u think it is worth while having a go for a jew in the harbour during the day if the conditions dont allow to get out?

can anyone suggest anything?

Haha! it counts if you say so. i would be happy to see you catch a much nicer one next time.

I dont fish for jew much as i hardly do any night fishing. during the day i just chase up pelagics.

do u think it is worth while having a go for a jew in the harbour during the day if the conditions dont allow to get out?

can anyone suggest anything?

no no no got a nice one a couple of months ago and i remember a period when a couple of raiders were pulling some in. so definately but remember the jews most probably would have high dioxin levels so know eating.