Boat Licences

mrsswordfisherman

Are there any raiders out there that need a boat licence?

FR may have access to some attractive rates and gift vouchers.

Wives, girlfriends, kids (12 and up) guys can all take advantage of this.

Please register your interest here.

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

I may be interested Donna. My mate is about to buy a boat and asked if I had a boat licence (which I don't)

so I haven't looked into what's required as yet. He needs to get one as well as he hasn't held a NSW licence,

only a W.A. licence.

Is this tuition or theory or what? Also, what's the cost?

Pete.

Are there any raiders out there that need a boat licence?

FR may have access to some attractive rates and gift vouchers.

Wives, girlfriends, kids (12 and up) guys can all take advantage of this.

Please register your interest here.

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Donna,

I need to sit for my boat licence.

I ahve been reading the handbook on line and doing the practice exams on line but still need to go and sit the licence.

So keep us all informed.

Cheers

Trev

Donna,

I need to sit for my boat licence.

I ahve been reading the handbook on line and doing the practice exams on line but still need to go and sit the licence.

So keep us all informed.

Cheers

Trev

The test is EXACTLY the same as the practice one on the waterways site, word for word.

Ok folks it seems there is some interest here.

The rules are all changing as of October 1st 2006

From 1 October 2006

Anyone wishing to obtain a boat licence must, from 1 October 2006, first undertake compulsory boating education either by studying an online seminar or attending a seminar conducted by NSW Maritime or an accredited agency. A nominal fee will apply.

A receipt for the seminar together with a statutory declaration (in the case of an online seminar) or an attendance certificate (for attendance at a seminar) is then to be presented to the boat licence test examiner within six months of the receipt/certificate date prior to attempting the licence test. A licence test fee is payable for each attempt at the licence test.

NSW Maritime accepts some courses from certain organisations as satisfying the licence test requirements. These organisations conduct courses which not only teach you the requirements for a general licence but often include practical training in boat driving. They include the NSW Maritime licence test in their assessment process and issue a course completion certificate. To apply for a NSW general licence you must present the course completion certificate within six months at a NSW Maritime office and complete the application process.

Approved courses are available from 5 centres. The Marine training centre, SEA SCHOOL is one of those approved by NSW Maritime and has offered special rates for FR members.

The two courses that I feel we could take advantage of are:

1 DAY PRACTICAL BOAT LICENCE COURSE - if you new to boating or thinking about owning a boat this is for you. The course includes step by step instruction on safe boating AND a practical training session aboard a powerboat. 6 plus hours of fun and covers boat licence requirements, how to drive a boat, handling emergencies, seamanship skills, coming alongside and berthing.

This course normally costs $195, for raider the cost is $175. We need a minimum of 6 persons.

BOAT LICENCE SAFETY SEMINAR + TEST - A seminar presentation, demonstrations and tuition on rules, registration, in-shore and off-shore safety equipment, steering rules, channel markers, navigation lights, weather and marine radio. Then visit a NSW Maritime office with your Course Completion Report, pay for a one or 3 year licence. Its that simple.

This course normally costs $95, for raiders the cost is $75.

We can hold the courses at Taren Point.

Jenny and Jeff from SEA SCHOOL have a fun time and gain a licence at the end of the day. Stewy and I spoke at length with them last night at the boat show. Here is a pic of Jenny and Jeff.

post-869-1154761518_thumb.jpg

post-869-1154761584_thumb.jpg

Bloody hell, im in the wrong trade by the look of those prices. Wouldnt you be better off going to sit your test at the waterways before October the 1st?

For sure wettingaline.

However, there are many people that have never owned a boat or driven one and have no one to show them. There are also people who have difficulty with tests. There are many reasons why people pay to get help.

The people who do attend these courses will be satisfied that they have all the knowledge needed to drive their boat safely.

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Yeah i reckon new rules coming in october are great, the amount of people with there boat license that dont know what they are doing on the water is amazing. I passed the paper test 100% after remembering all the answers from the waterways site, but as soon as i hit the water i didnt know jack. I think this is the case for a lot of people. If you are a newbie to boating and are thinking of hitting the water, get a lesson.