Beach/surf Rod

dixie

Hi Guys,

I looking at trying my luck with a bit of beach fishing, as an alternative to estuary spinning, wher I spend most of my time.

Do any of you have any recommendations, regarding the purchase of a light graphite rod around the 10-12 foot length, with all the good gear attached and an excellent threadline reel to match. I would be mainly chasing bream, whiting, flathead, taylor etc, but wouldn't mind trying for an aussie salmon or school jew.

Money is no object, I just want a quality setup.

Regards............Dixie.

:1welcomeani: dixie.

On the matter of reels, I just picked up an Ambassadeur C3 overhead reel. I'm not an overhead expert, but at a casting session last weekend, I got it out 74m ! Highly recommend it if overhead's your type.

Cheers,

Ash

Hi Mate won't comment on rod selection, when it comes to beach fishing I'm not to particular about the rod, the longer the better though. Now as far as a reel is concerned if you are looking for something that is going to help you catch a range of fish from Bream to Jewfish you can't go past an Alvey!!!! Once you master how to cast it you won't look at anything else. Practicaly maintenance free, made for the beach and gives you the spool range you need when you do hook that special big fish

Cheers

Guest danielinbyron

gotta agree on the alvey... i have all types of reels all v good reels .. the maintenence on an overhead when used near surf is prohibative...the alveys start to squeak or get some sand in em ya just dunk em in water and keep fishing.. do that with my calcutta and its stuffed.. and i fell in love with old schneider glass 7 wraps the first time i loaded on up with a big jew...i have custom made killwell blanks .. pc blanks ... they gather dust i picked the schneider up for forty bucks .... the red brown transluscent type one peice ... whenever a friend gets his hands on mine they buy one within weeks... tehy're light rugged and reliable ... as apposed to some graphites.. that snap when looked at the wrong way...

Edited by danielinbyron

gotta agree on the alvey... i have all types of reels all v good reels .. the maintenence on an overhead when used near surf is prohibative...the alveys start to squeak or get some sand in em ya just dunk em in water and keep fishing.. do that with my calcutta and its stuffed.. and i fell in love with old schneider glass 7 wraps the first time i loaded on up with a big jew...i have custom made killwell blanks .. pc blanks ... they gather dust i picked the schneider up for forty bucks .... the red brown transluscent type one peice ... whenever a friend gets his hands on mine they buy one within weeks... tehy're light rugged and reliable ... as apposed to some graphites.. that snap when looked at the wrong way...

Agree totally!

Get youself a Schnider MT 4144. This is a great light beach rod with enough stick to throw a decent sized lure is you want to spin.

The Alveys reels are OK but the rod will need to be designed for this. The reel seat needs to sit low on the blank and the first stripping guide needs to be the biggest one available, with a long leg length to get it away from the rod blank. Without this you will get line slap. Line hitting the blank as it runs of the reel when casting. This will seriously reduce your casting distance.

Another issue will be line twist. Two swivels in your rig helps but you will still get line twist.

I prefer the thread line or overhead option myself.

Cheers

Kingpig