Matching Rod For Baitrunner 6500b

wirlez

Hey fellas,

I'm new around these neck of the woods, so any comments/advice given will be very much appreciated :thumbup::thumbup:

I've been reading around and finally decided on buying a Shimano Baitrunner. Probably the 6500B. I was hoping some raiders could help me with teaming this up with a rod. Budgeting around $80-$120

It will be used for various things ie. trolling/casting skirted lures around for small-to-medium sized tunas, reef bashing with baits, and the occasional jigging.

Also I had, had a quick look at the newer Baitrunners the Aero 5000,6000,8000 RE range, is there any significant difference between the 2? besides the alu spool? should I consider trying the new ones out or stick with whats known to work?

.. and just 1 more thing, what line should I be looking at spooling it with?

Cheers!

Hey Wirlez

For a 6500b - Wilson Live Fibre Texalium Spin 8-15Kg is a perfect but expensive +- ( $300 ) match.

Have you considered the 3500 or the 4500?

6500Bs go for $190 to $250 - Shop around a bit first.

Spool up with good quality braid 30-80lb depending on what you are after.

In my opinion they are very good value for money reels.

Hope this helps

cheers

inhlanzi

PS King Rods one of the sponsors of the site makes very good rods too. Give Saqa a shout.

Edited by inhlanzi

Hey Wirlez

For a 6500b - Wilson Live Fibre Texalium 8-15Kg is a perfect but expensive +- ( $300 ) match.

Have you considered the 3500 or the 4500?

6500Bs go for $190 to $250 - Shop around a bit first. If you get them for $80 to $120 let me know and I'll buy a box full!!

Spool up with good quality braid 30-80lb depending on what you are after.

In my opinion they are very good value for money reels.

Hope this helps

cheers

inhlanzi

PS King Rods one of the sponsors of the site makes very good rods too. Give Saqa a shout.

I think he meant that he was budgeting $80-$120 for a rod to suit the Baitrunner :1prop:

I think he meant that he was budgeting $80-$120 for a rod to suit the Baitrunner :1prop:

cap, that is correct.

But I guess dropping down to a 4500B would allow for more money to be spent on a rod. :1prop:

Still .. I don't really want to stretch it any further then 160-180 =\

cap, that is correct.

But I guess dropping down to a 4500B would allow for more money to be spent on a rod. :1prop:

Mate I am pretty sure I can do something in your budget. Contact me on 0422 315 058 and we'll talk about it

Wirlez,

The rods that I have my baitrunners on are as follows;

3500B-Wilson Live Fibre 6-8kg blank, I cant remember the blank number

4500B- Silstar Powertip 701SWM & Ugly Stick GB1800

6500B- Silstar Powertip 701SWH

No top of the range stuff here, just good honest, well proven and well performing rods at a price that wont break the bank.

cap, that is correct.

I was just about to edit my post and mention giving you a call at King Rods but I didn't like the chances of picking up a custom rod in that price range, how wrong I was :1yikes:

Mate I am pretty sure I can do something in your budget. Contact me on 0422 315 058 and we'll talk about it

Cheers Rohit, I'll drop you a call when I'm back in the country, overseas visitng relatives atm.

Wirlez,

The rods that I have my baitrunners on are as follows;

3500B-Wilson Live Fibre 6-8kg blank, I cant remember the blank number

4500B- Silstar Powertip 701SWM & Ugly Stick GB1800

6500B- Silstar Powertip 701SWH

No top of the range stuff here, just good honest, well proven and well performing rods at a price that wont break the bank.

Thnx cap, I'll give those a bit of a look :thumbup:

Also just like to ask again if anyone has had any experience with the new Shimano Aero Baitrunners

Cheers.

Sorry mate I forgot to address your other question.

As far as the Aero is concerned, I mentioned it the other day in another post. My brother in law picked one up on Ebay brand new from England. They are a nice looking and solidly made reel, they come with a spare spool and as mentioned before, the aluminium spool is around 3mm thick. Apart from playing around with one I havn't had the opportunity to fish with them yet, they look better and feel tighter than the BTR's and if look and feel is anything to go by I'll give them the thumbs up.

My brother in law is pretty impressed with his one if thats any consolation, whether they are better than the current BTR's???? who knows, only time will tell.

Sorry mate I forgot to address your other question.

As far as the Aero is concerned, I mentioned it the other day in another post. My brother in law picked one up on Ebay brand new from England. They are a nice looking and solidly made reel, they come with a spare spool and as mentioned before, the aluminium spool is around 3mm thick. Apart from playing around with one I havn't had the opportunity to fish with them yet, they look better and feel tighter than the BTR's and if look and feel is anything to go by I'll give them the thumbs up.

My brother in law is pretty impressed with his one if thats any consolation, whether they are better than the current BTR's???? who knows, only time will tell.

I dont know how different the new aeros are from the ones on the market before but I had a aero 6010 baitrunner and it cast very well but the rear drag let it down a lot. Hopefully the new ones are better in that regard

I think the only main difference is the Aero is rear drag-meaning harder to clean if you drop it in the sand.

And also the aero's are lighter in weight.

I finaly bought a baitrunner4500b yesterday for $150 at the boatshow and it matches up nicely with the GREAT kingrod which i won :thumbup: