Browns Mountain 13/8/06.

mako1

Firstly well done to all of the raiders who got onto the fin,sharks and marlin some great reports there.Here is mine.Arrived at the ramp at 7am and caught some slimies at the drums.Headed out to browns.The weather was tops and the trip out quicker then usual.About 5km from browns the lures went in,but we only got three stripies which were kept for bait.We headed to the bottom fishing mark and rigged up the winch.The first three drops got caught on the bottom and the sinkers lost :1badmood: .On the fourth drop we reeled in a ribbon fish.On the fifth drop we got a really good hit.We manged to get it to half way but then felt a big pull and then slack line.When we got it to the top there was half a 350lb rig left and half a ribbon fish.Dam those sharks :ranting2:.The next drop the whole rig was taken again.At this stage we thought it was going to be a bad day but on the next drop we finally boated a 5kg gemfish.Then two came up on the next drop of similar size and on the last drop we got another one.We had our limit of gemfish so we went to chase some tuna.I set out a livie while we were bottom fishing and it was still swimming so I left it.I also set a pilchard bait down about 30m.I began feeding a pilchard out while dad cotinued to cube.About half an hour later the deep pilchard was taken.I set the hook and it went slack straight away.Another shark.I reset the deep pilchard and put out a shark bait on wire at 30m.As the action was deeper I set the livie at 30m.All big rods were out but I still wanted to float out a pilchard so I grabbed one of the threadline outfits with 15kg mono on it.I thought to myself if I hook a fin on this It will spool me in no time.I began floating a pilchard out and nearing the end of the drift I get a hit on the line.Just as this happened the live bait was taken.I set the hook on my line and handed it to dad as he finds it easier to use eggbeaters then trying to lay the line on the bigger reels.I left the live bait rod while I cleared the other rods.That's when dad's fish took off.With the reels cleared I went to get the livie rod but as I did the fish ran and I couldn't get it out of the holder.I finally got the rod out of the holder and began to fight the fish while dad was doing well on his fish.I had 24kg gear so i put pleanty of pressure on the fish and had it on the surface in 5mins.The sight of my first fin is something I will never forget.Two more circles and I had the fish boatside.I didn't realise how bulky the fish was until it was boat side.Since dad was busy I traced the fish and got a good gaff shot in and heaved the fish onto the boat.My first yellowfin at 22.5kg :yahoo: .By this stage dad was getting tired and handed the rod to me.Took another 10mins to bring the fish into view as it went deep but it took off when it saw the boat.Two more short runs and dad got a gaff shot in.This was a bigger fish and the gaff started to rip out but dad gave it one last heave and boated it.Our second yellowfin and a better one at 30kg :yahoo: .A great catch for a outfit that I use for inshore bottom fishing.By this stage we were both really excited but stuffed so we bled the fin,sorted the boat and headed for home.It was the best day we have had out at browns and one we will never forget.Forgot the camera so there are no pics of the fish on the boat,took them at home.

post-2229-1155563453_thumb.jpg

The 30kg fin.

post-2229-1155563509_thumb.jpg

Two happy fishermen.

post-2229-1155563554_thumb.jpg

The whole catch.

Firstly well done to all of the raiders who got onto the fin,sharks and marlin some great reports there.Here is mine.Arrived at the ramp at 7am and caught some slimies at the drums.Headed out to browns.The weather was tops and the trip out quicker then usual.About 5km from browns the lures went in,but we only got three stripies which were kept for bait.We headed to the bottom fishing mark and rigged up the winch.The first three drops got caught on the bottom and the sinkers lost :1badmood: .On the fourth drop we reeled in a ribbon fish.On the fifth drop we got a really good hit.We manged to get it to half way but then felt a big pull and then slack line.When we got it to the top there was half a 350lb rig left and half a ribbon fish.Dam those sharks :ranting2:.The next drop the whole rig was taken again.At this stage we thought it was going to be a bad day but on the next drop we finally boated a 5kg gemfish.Then two came up on the next drop of similar size and on the last drop we got another one.We had our limit of gemfish so we went to chase some tuna.I set out a livie while we were bottom fishing and it was still swimming so I left it.I also set a pilchard bait down about 30m.I began feeding a pilchard out while dad cotinued to cube.About half an hour later the deep pilchard was taken.I set the hook and it went slack straight away.Another shark.I reset the deep pilchard and put out a shark bait on wire at 30m.As the action was deeper I set the livie at 30m.All big rods were out but I still wanted to float out a pilchard so I grabbed one of the threadline outfits with 15kg mono on it.I thought to myself if I hook a fin on this It will spool me in no time.I began floating a pilchard out and nearing the end of the drift I get a hit on the line.Just as this happened the live bait was taken.I set the hook on my line and handed it to dad as he finds it easier to use eggbeaters then trying to lay the line on the bigger reels.I left the live bait rod while I cleared the other rods.That's when dad's fish took off.With the reels cleared I went to get the livie rod but as I did the fish ran and I couldn't get it out of the holder.I finally got the rod out of the holder and began to fight the fish while dad was doing well on his fish.I had 24kg gear so i put pleanty of pressure on the fish and had it on the surface in 5mins.The sight of my first fin is something I will never forget.Two more circles and I had the fish boatside.I didn't realise how bulky the fish was until it was boat side.Since dad was busy I traced the fish and got a good gaff shot in and heaved the fish onto the boat.My first yellowfin at 22.5kg :yahoo: .By this stage dad was getting tired and handed the rod to me.Took another 10mins to bring the fish into view as it went deep but it took off when it saw the boat.Two more short runs and dad got a gaff shot in.This was a bigger fish and the gaff started to rip out but dad gave it one last heave and boated it.Our second yellowfin and a better one at 30kg :yahoo: .A great catch for a outfit that I use for inshore bottom fishing.By this stage we were both really excited but stuffed so we bled the fin,sorted the boat and headed for home.It was the best day we have had out at browns and one we will never forget.Forgot the camera so there are no pics of the fish on the boat,took them at home.

post-2229-1155563453_thumb.jpg

The 30kg fin.

post-2229-1155563509_thumb.jpg

Two happy fishermen.

post-2229-1155563554_thumb.jpg

The whole catch.

Thanks guys.

It was a really top day,I couldn't have asked for better weather and

the fishing was excellent.

FletcherG1991 it could have been a shark,especially if you hooked a fish up

and the shark got it,but it also could have been a leatherjacket as they can

be found pretty deep.

Here are some more pics.

post-2229-1155611829_thumb.jpg

Another shot of the fin.

post-2229-1155611869_thumb.jpg

Some tasty steaks came from the fillets.

post-2229-1155611897_thumb.jpg

Both tuna were full of our burley of chopped stripies and pilchards.

Thanks guys.

It was a really top day,I couldn't have asked for better weather and

the fishing was excellent.

FletcherG1991 it could have been a shark,especially if you hooked a fish up

and the shark got it,but it also could have been a leatherjacket as they can

be found pretty deep.

Here are some more pics.

post-2229-1155611829_thumb.jpg

Another shot of the fin.

post-2229-1155611869_thumb.jpg

Some tasty steaks came from the fillets.

post-2229-1155611897_thumb.jpg

Both tuna were full of our burley of chopped stripies and pilchards.

the rig that we lost had a pillie and a yellowtail..... we were not in the middle of bringing up a fish we were pulling the rig up to check it and there was a bit of weight then nothing

inhlanzi I didn't take a full pic of the ribbon fish we caught but I found this one

post-2229-1155641680_thumb.jpg

It's known as a ribbon fish or frost fish.

It's very similar to a hairtail except it has a small tail instead of a thread.

post-2229-1155641974_thumb.jpg

Ribbon fish or largehead hairtail.

We caught them on the bottom at 450m on cuttlefish and stripped tuna.

FletcherG1991 if you were bringing the rig up then it probably was a

shark chasing the yellowtail and pilchard up.

Here is a pic of the ribbon fish that got taken by a shark.

post-2229-1155642121_thumb.jpg

Crazedfisherdude I use 350lb ande mono as it is really hard wearing

and will last quite afew gemfish captures with their sharp teeth.

I crimp a large ball bearing swivel(400lb) at the top and leave

3m of line before the first dropper to give clearance from the 3m

braid double and prevent biteoffs(most of the time).I tie 3 twisted

droppers about 1m to 1.5m apart.The twisted dropper keeps the dropper

stiff and sticking out from the line to prevent tangles.I leave 1m of trace

under the last dropper and crimp on a normal swivel(200lb).From that swivel

I tie 2m of 80lb line to act as a breakaway just in case I get snagged so I

don't loose any braid.At the end I tie on a clip and attach a sinker.

Back to the dropper.On the end of the dropper I put on a 200lb Hawaiian

snap.I put two pieces of heatshrink over the snap and mono trace to hold it

straight out.Then I clip on either a 13/0 or 14/0 mustad tuna circle hook.

I also get small glow sticks and cabletie them to the dropper just above the hook.

Here is a pic of the dropper to give you a idea.

post-2229-1155644696_thumb.jpg

Played around with afew rigs,but found this one to be very successful

and versatile as hooks and sinkers can be changed easily and even taken

off for storage so they don't rust.It's also tangle free.

They are abit fiddly to make,but I make afew in one sitting which last a while

before I have to make them again.

On the weekend we used 2.2kg leads,but there must have been a slight current

as the line never went slack even when it was on the bottom.I like using heavy

leads as it gets to the bottom quickly.We sometimes use 3kg or 3.5 kg leads

it just depends on the wind and current.

It took about 450m-470m of line to hit bottom.

Hey Mako

Really facinating report and pics.

Very nice bottom rig you got there. Is there a knot between the clip and the twisted dropper or is it just on the loop?

Wow. Can clearly see it's not a hairtail. Have you ever used the Ribbon fish as a skip bait for Marlin?

You gonna laugh but I use a very similar rig for livies on a much much smaller scale in 6lb vanish. No shrink or clip but I add a small glow bead instead.

Check out the lateral lines in the gemfish Gemfish? Maybe Flattieman can tell us why they are like they are...

And well done on your first "gasbottle"

Cheers

inhlanzi

Maybe Flattieman can tell us why they are like they are...

Hmm... very good question, mate. I don't know whether it's clear in Mako's photos, but gemfish have a lateral line branching below the 5th to the 6th spine of the first dorsal fin. The upper branch reaches beyond the origin of the second dorsal fin. The lower branch runs mid laterally, undulating above the anal-fin base. Because of the nature of the lateral line (used to detect movement and vibration water) and gemfish being distributed mostly in deeper water (100-700m deep), having a split lateral line would help the gemfish sense movement from several directions, with the branch closest to the dorsal fin sensing movement that is above the gemfish (baitfish higher in the water column) and the traditionally "lateral" branch sensing movement laterally.

Hope this helps,

Flattieman.

I knew you would come to the rescue there Flattieman!

I was wondering if maybe they hung vertically in the water at some point kind of similar to what the hairies do when hunting. I guess we will never know till one of those deep diver subs gets down there and does a bit of study on them.

cheers

inhlanzi

Inhlanzi I just clip the hawaiian snap onto the loop formed at the end of the dropper.

I tried the rig without the heatshrink but found the hook had too much movement and

would get caught on the dropper.The heatshrink holds the snap nicely while giving just

enough movement for the circle hook to work without it getting caught on the dropper.

I also use this rig for bottom fishing the reefs and for live bait catching,just on a smaller scale

and without the clip, as there are alot less tangles and it presents the bait nicely.I also put on

a glow bead and just loop the hook on the line.

I haven't tried skipping a ribbon fish for marlin but can't see why it wouldn't work as they

are very flexible so they would skip well and they are very shiny.I've heard that marlin boats

up north skip giant herring which are very long.Would have to work out a rig for them,

probably a hook in the head and one near the tail.Have to try it.

Crazedfisherdude we use a reef queen with 200lb braid on it and as swansea_fisho said

I don't know what I'd do without it.Don't know how some guys do it with a rod and reel

as it's bloody hard work.

R_Zee as I had a livie on the 24kg gear I used a 150lb trace with a 13/0 mustad tuna

circle hook.It's a little heavy for tuna on a calm day like that but you never know if a marlin

will grab the livie.When floating pilchards I use 100lb trace with a 8/0 eagleclaw circle

hook.The bigger tuna was fought for 20-25mins and hardly made a mark on the 100lb trace.

Flattieman some great info there.Like Crazedfisherdude I like to read up on all things to do with

the sea when I'm not out there.

Laredo we don't anchor up as it's way to deep.It all depends on the wind or current.We either

Keep the engine going till the rig hits the bottom or if it's calm we put the sea anchor out

and drift.