The Lane Cove Monster

mottyman

Hi Guys,

Magic weather today - very nice to be on the water...

What wasn't so nice was my terrible effort and landing my first jew on plastic.

It went like this...

In my travels up the lane cove I've been sounding out a few deeper holes and I found one last time out that looked particularly good and made a note to return on my next trip.

I went strait to the spot this morning on the last of the runout tide and sounded the hole and there they were, very big arches showed on the sounder.

I motored just up river and cast a Bass Minnow right into the spot. I must have put the lure right on his nose. I let the lure hit the bottom - two twiches of the rod tip and a turn on the reel handle and all hell broke loose.

The fish absolutely smashed the lure and took off down stream. In no time at all 6lb Spiderwire that has never seen the light of day was peeling off the spool. At this point I thought "I'm just a passenger here, this fish aint gunna stop".

Line continued to peel off the spool. Then... I did something extremely foolish. I panicked as I didn't think I would stop the fish (on bream gear with 8lb leader) and I upped the drag a little and that was it, a big head shake and the leader went POP!

To say I was devestated is an understatement. I'd put in the work over a few trips, found the fish and then panicked and lost it... :depression::depression::1crybaby:

I think I'd prefer to be spooled rather than lose the fish that way...

I re-tied with extremely shakey hands and sounded back over the hole and it was bare... nothing!!

I persisted for about an hour and got a few small flatties and dropped a nice bream at the boat just to rub salt into my extremely bare wounds.

I did manage the regulation bream, flatties and chopper tailor as the morning wore on but none of that mattered after losing the big one... I took pics of the fish I did land today but can't bring myself to post them... :1prop:

I'm now going to have a cuppa and a lie down... :074:

Cheers

David.

:mad3: Condolences, mate. :thumbdown: Sounds like you put a lot of effort in for no reward. There's only one good thing to come out of this - you know that the hole holds/held big fish. Hopefully you can pin one soon - now that you're a bit better prepared. :thumbup:

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

Yeah, I'll get there I'm sure. I've only ever caught one Jew before and that was on reasonably heavy gear and a side of yakka in Botany Bay. I'm really determined to get one on rubber and really light gear.

Next time I might just start the engine and chase the buggar!!! :074:

Yeah, I'll get there I'm sure. I've only ever caught one Jew before and that was on reasonably heavy gear and a side of yakka in Botany Bay. I'm really determined to get one on rubber and really light gear.

Next time I might just start the engine and chase the buggar!!! :074:

aaaahh...that hurts. i'm sure many of us know that feeling. one day mottyman.

Guest madsmc

I don't think there's much that I can say to make you feel better David. I feel for you mate, I really do. :(

The only thing you can do is go back again, and with the benefit of this experience, hopefully you will be able to land that jew.

Best of luck next time mate, and don't forget, patience is a virtue.

Shane

Thanks alot guys, I will definately land a jew on plastics one day soon and NO, I will not make the same mistake twice.

I'd dearly love to land one on bream gear but I might upsize a bit next time. To make matters worse I had a heavier spin outfit spooled with 15lb tufline in the boat with me and didn't use it.... Ahhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrr

That'll be the outfit I use next time I think.

Cheers guys,

David.

Reading that made me sick Motty!! :mad3:

To lose a fish like that is a bloody terrible feeling! Nice of the Bream to rub it in to.

You've cracked the hardest part mate. You've found them & hooked one. It won't be long before we see you're first one posted.

I got one 11 kg in my kayak in the Lane Cove at this time of year a couple of years ago. I was flicking b/m's under boats for Bream with 3kg fireline when it came along. Never had the chance to get spooled though as it towed me around the river for 45 mins till it got tired!

Looking forward to the pics when you crack it mate.

Go get 'em.

Cheers,

Grant.

Condolences mate, but thats fishing. I've been there myself, losing the big one due to some unrequired mid-fight drag tinkering after a lot of effort to hook it... It will make the victory all the sweeter when you land the big one though.

Cheers

Col.

Hard luck David. It is great fun tangling with the smaller models on bream gear. I was getting into a few last October and having a ball till I hooked up to a biggun and got comprehensively done over. Ever since then, I only target them on my 4-7kg rod with 8kg Fireline XDS. Maybe you can keep trying on your bream rod and hope to hook a soapie to get it out of your system, then move to the heavier stuff. It's heartbreaking to bust off on the bigguns. Seems the jew are on at the moment, I got two yesterday afternoon myself, and kept my first one ever for the table, which may turn out to be a bad thing for the local jew population, as it was bloody beautiful!

Keep trying mate, once you've hooked one it gets easier and easier.

Ben.

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I might put the bream rod to one side next time and use a heavier spin outfit.

Ben - i have a 4-7kg outfit spooled with TufLine (the one I didn't use...) so I'll be definately using that one next time. A slightly heavier leader might help as well!!!!!

You watch, I'll use the the above and not get a touch, change back to bream gear and get slamed again... At least I'll leave the drag alone next time... :074:

Thanks again guys. When I land one, you'll hear me hollering and a few of you that I have mobile numbers for will be getting phone calls - rest assured! :biggrin2:

Cheers

David.