Outboard Trim/tilt Unit

domza

The outboard trim/tilt unit which lifts my motor up and down has broken. At first we striped down the electric motor and after replacing the brushes it seems to be good. We now think its something to do with the electricals.

Does anyone know who can fix this kind of problem? A new (second hand) unit costs around $600 :thumbdown: and we think thats just way too much to pay when its probably just a minor problem I cannot spot.

So if anyone knows who can fix or take a look at it, that would be great. :thumbup:

So far been out for 6 weeks, and i really want to get out fishing again, especially before summer. :(

The motor is a 80hp mercury (early 80's)

Edited by domza

G'day Domza ,

What exactly is the unit doing / not doing? Does the motor spin Ok , but not pump? Have you checked the reservoir for correct level of fluid ? Are there any leaks around the pistons for the tilt assembly? Hoses all good ?

Ross

When i press the button for either up or down, a simple click comes from the motor area. It is the old style unit which is actualy inside the deck, not at the outboard. hoses are perfect, changed last year, and yes fluids are full.

I have also taken apart the two solenoids and they seem to be fine..

Have you tried testing the motor direct from the battery? If it spins OK , then the problem could well be in the Solenoids , or the wiring. A visual inspection of the Solenoids will only tell you so much , apply power to them to make sure they are both working.

Ross

• 1 month later...

Have you tried testing the motor direct from the battery? If it spins OK , then the problem could well be in the Solenoids , or the wiring. A visual inspection of the Solenoids will only tell you so much , apply power to them to make sure they are both working.

Ross

ross mate, you were on the money!

After spending over 12 hours working on it, yesterday and all day today it came down to one of the solenoids. It was clicking but it wasnt working..so after a long process in testing another solenoid from the starter motor(outboard) it works fine. So off to the dealer to buy a $90 dollar solenoid instead of a $$$500+ new unit or fix.

hope to be on the water for the first time in over 12 weeks next week

:1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1:

Hey, Flightmanager, I'm impressed !!!!!!! You definately know what you're talking about regarding this stuff. Do you work in that field for a living?

Just another fine example on how this site works for everybody.

Russ