Fishing And Sickness

Guest danielinbyron

Guest danielinbyron

Its been pooring rain all day up here due to the fact that we were scheduled to replace my friends roof today i'd reckon.. any way i needed a couple of days of rest .. mostly due to the MOSQUITO BORN VIRUS i and about twelve hundred others contracted up here in the northern rivers district earlier this year.. balma forest disease is allot like Ross River fever.... i first fell ill in autumn when after a great spinning sesh on trevally i came home and my wrists were sore... next day a couple of panadol and back at it.... next day can't take the lid off a milk bottle.... main presenting symptom reactive arthritis...

2 weeks in bed LATER .. basically not allowed to get to run down or it comes back.....don't have the energy i had last year and it takes a couple of years to clear...AND although i'm allot better I ACHE ALL THE TIME..

My biggest problem is that when i try and rest like today eventually i log on here or open a fishing mag stare at the flags out my window and get burleyed up to get out there...its settled down to a drizzle the palms, flags are still and i know there are a tonne of big eyed trevs maybe a jew or turrum down the bottom of the lighthouse...fishing is the other sickness..

HERES THE WARNING... IF YOU ARE PLANNING A FISHING TRIP NORTH AND LIKE ME AREN'T PARTICULARLY BOTHERED BY MOZZIES....PARTICULARLY IF YOU HAVE THE KIDS OR FAMILY WITH YOU.... TAKE PRECAUTIONS.IE MOZZIE REPELENT......

I WENT FROM A FIT 39yo TO AN ARTHRITIC 80 YEARS OLD IN 2 DAYS FROM THIS...AND THE TOURISM

BOARD ISN'T BRAGGING ABOUT IT

Thats a total shitter, I haven't heard of balma before. How far north are you (Byron I guess) and what's the range of the disease? Hope you get better ASAP, great photo of the kids and the mulloway by the way.

Cheers

Evil

Edited by Evil

Guest danielinbyron

Thats a total shitter, I haven't heard of balma before. How far north are you (Byron I guess) and what's the range of the disease? Hope you get better ASAP, great photo of the kids and the mulloway by the way.

Cheers

Evil

range of disease? i'm not sure wether i contracted it fishing in bruns river ballina river or working on a house in lilly pilli byron.. i would say that the mozzies we have here would be linked by water systems to at least yamba but i don't know how far south its spread..... like i intimated i don't get that botherd by mozzies ... until this happened..

Guest danielinbyron

Thanks for the warning mate.

It's looking like I'll be a Northern Rivers local in a couple of months & seeing I have a couple of little fellas I'll be sure to take care.

Cheers,

Grant.

[/quote

just in time for the water to warm up. the mangrove jack to start

Hi guys

It is a nasty disease & I reckon my neighbour got it earlier in the year, altho it was not actually identified as such by the doctors. They just treated the symptoms. He is in his mid 70's & really thought he was dying. Even lost his desire to go fishing! Must have been crook. He lost stacks of weight & it took 3 months before he got any energy back. His place is a tropical wonderland, backing onto a native bush reserve at Forster (so millions of mossies). It would appear the infected mossies are alive & well and living here!

Some info on Barmah Forest (near the Murray River) virus (similar to Ross River) can be found on

http://www.health.vic.gov.au/ideas/diseases/rrv_facts.htm

Roberta