Has Shimano Lost Their Bearings ?

fredd

I have heard that the amount of bearings shimano claims to have in its baitcasters is slightly exagerated.A simple example would be the crestfire,which claims to have 3 bearings but in fact appears to only have 2.Check reel docs. here http://www.shimanofish.com.au/media/fishin...69830571876.pdf Other reels dont add up either re bearing nos.(check your own docs. or shimanos site).Ime definately not anti shimano & own several of their reels,ide just like to think i got what i paid for.Anyone got a simple explaination for this?

The crestfire is certainly not a one off reel & if you click link on original post you can view reel schematics (parts list). This list clearly shows only 2 bearings(1 ball bearing & 1 roller bearing).Ive also checked shimano schematics(available on their website) for more expensive models & found a discrepancy between claimed bearings & actual bearings.I really do hope theres a simple explaination for this as my die hard daiwa mate is giving me heaps!

it does appear to be there in black & white , 3 bearings claimed but only 2 showing on parts list.was kinda hopin' someone from shimano may have an explaination! surely theres some reel techs. out there who can explain.its driving me madd! wheres the bearings i paid for!!

Daiwa fans can hardly claim superiority in this regard - I bought a Daiwa Millionaire CV-Z, which claims to have 11 bearings, and got interested as to where they could all be and took it apart.

Four of them were in the handle - i.e. each cork-grip handle has 2 bearings to keep it spinning.

Don't get me wrong - it's a great reel and I'm very happy with it - but somethimes I think they go overboard putting bearings where they don't need to just for marketing.

I wouldnt have a clue how many bearings my reels have, and to be honest i dont give a sh.it.

All i know is that Shimano do make quality reels and that im not too concerned about whats inside them, all that matters is how they perform when onto a fish.

Ditto!

Ditto Ditto, there is lots of Taiwanese rubbish on the market claiming to have as many as 14 bearings but it doent make it worth owning. Id take a 4bb Shimano or Daiwa or a 3bb Abu over them any day.

Having said that I'd be very suprised if Shimano didnt have a plausible explanation.

GT

theres no doubt shimano make quality gear & if your happy with a reel then it doesnt matter if its made out of chewing gum & fencing wire.I think, however,at the lower end of the market bearing nos. do make a big difference in reel 'feel'.my original 'complaint' came after choosing a shimano crestfire over a daiwa cygnus.both reels were around $90 on special & both reels claimed to have 3 bearings.i chose the crestfire as i have other shimano gear that ime very happy with.after spooling up & casting around the backyard i realised the reel felt very dry.ide heard that bearings on new reels should be removed,degreased & re oiled to free them up.so i went looking for the bearings & only found 2,even reel schematics showed only 2.tackle store owner had no answer but gladly swaped crestfire for daiwa ,which felt much smoother on casting (as it definately has 3 bearings,easily found within reel & schematics).the fact is,if a reel has 2 bearings,advertise it as such.if it has 10 bearings,advertise it as such.consumers dont like being lied to.if someone from shimano has an explaination,lets hear it.

Fredd, not sure if you read Mitch's suggestion earlier in this post. Contact the people at the business below for your questions. I am sure they will be able to answer them.

Dunphy Sports Fishing/Imports Pty Ltd

3 Endeavour Road

Caringbah

NSW 2229

Australia

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

thanks mate,ille give em a ring.