Which One Do U Prefer?

kabz

a 10kg yellowfin can be caught on baitcaster gear, no sweat for a tld. Those new tyrnos 2 pseeds look ok but I would never buy one becaue of the higher gearing, it would be really difficult to put the hurt on a big fish with a 5:1 ratio, I know you can drop down to the lower gear, but it makes more sense to me to just buy a tld with a proper game reel gear ratio and the low 2nd gearing.

I have seen pictures of the okuma game reels full of corrosion after only a couple of uses, I would never touch them, I just got my tld25 back from service for the first time in about 4 years and it was still like new inside, they have been around for years, a great product.

Guest danielinbyron

at $170 from mo's ..hard to get better bang for ya buck than a tld 25.. don't think you need the 2 speed until your look at winching much bigger fish...

haven't seen one not up to a job yet.... looking forward to the day i do... mackeral up to 12kg wahoo up to 20kg and plenty of rat yellow fin...15kg line and it still feels like we're fishing too heavy

I have a couple of TLD 25's, and while they are yet to be tested on a serious fish (hopefully soon!) they have performed well on kings etc. With the prices they are at these days you could get two for the price of the others you were listing- and another lure in the water has to double your chances!

I understand the TLD 20/30/50 2 Speeds have better quality internals than the single speeds. Unfortunately the ergonomics of the all TLD handles dont compare to any of the new shimano offerings.

Anyhow I am curious to hear how often those people who game fish utilise the 2 speed functions of their reels? Is it a bit of a gymic- or something you use and find handy??

I understand the TLD 20/30/50 2 Speeds have better quality internals than the single speeds. Unfortunately the ergonomics of the all TLD handles dont compare to any of the new shimano offerings.

Dezmo,

get yourself down to shimano australia, buy a tiagra handle, go home and bolt it on..

yeah its no tiagra but it sure as hell feels good!

$25 and about 1/2hr with a screwdriver and you're done

Heres one i prepared earlier

Nikon047-1.jpg

Nikon049.jpg

Tiagra handle compared to std tld handle

Nikon050.jpg

Edited by Sammy0884

Dezmo,

get yourself down to shimano australia, buy a tiagra handle, go home and bolt it on..

yeah its no tiagra but it sure as hell feels good!

$25 and about 1/2hr with a screwdriver and you're done

Heres one i prepared earlier

Nikon047-1.jpg

Nikon049.jpg

Tiagra handle compared to std tld handle

Nikon050.jpg

Sammy, that looks great mate.

I had heard of people putting the handles from the tyrnos on the TLD's but heard the cost was about $80 or something crazy.

For $25- i would probably do both reels.

Where did you pick them up?

Sammy, that looks great mate.

I had heard of people putting the handles from the tyrnos on the TLD's but heard the cost was about $80 or something crazy.

For $25- i would probably do both reels.

Where did you pick them up?

direct from Dunphy sports imports (shimano australia) down at taren point

i bought a okuma titus gold 15 2 speed and sold it a month later, lost a good jewie on it, was not impressed with the drag at all.

ive just bought a tyrnos 30 as i didnt have a game outfit, i was after a tld but was told these were a stronger version, hope i made the right choice :wacko: didnt think about the gear ratio to be honest.

Edited by jewnut

I have used the second gear a few times, mainly when fighting fish that dont want to come up, eg: big Makos and Tunas.

Its also good just knowing its there incase you need it.

Sammy

Nice TLD mod, love those handles, you mentioed you were gonna get a Tiagra soon, when you grabbing it??

I have used the second gear a few times, mainly when fighting fish that dont want to come up, eg: big Makos and Tunas.

Its also good just knowing its there incase you need it.

Sammy

Nice TLD mod, love those handles, you mentioed you were gonna get a Tiagra soon, when you grabbing it??

Hi Netic,

i think i am going to give the Tiagra a miss for a while, i need to save up to stick a good sounder on my boat!

hI FISHOES

Purchased a TLD 25 last year after many sessions on the rocks watching what the other land based fishoes were using, got my first blue finn, 14kg, on 30lb line, the reel handled the fish with no prblem, a mate using the same reel pulled out a 26kg blue fin a few weeks earlier. What attracted me also to the TLD 25 was the amount of line i could store incase something wanted to keep running. For $170, im pretty happy.

Cheers

Veck

thanks alot guys for all the opoions but 1 thing i wnted to kno that i have trouble with is that i only kno how to use level wind dun kno how to use normal bugones like when u drop it do u have to guid itn with ur thumb or wat?

I've never noticed line to follow in its tracks :1yikes: Learn to use your thumb to guide the line on, its really easy and you will soon find yourself doing it without thinking on reels with a levelwind.:lol: It is important as it allows you a full line capacity and prevents the line from digging in on itself under heavy drag. I have seen once a mako take a long run on a small overhead and the angler wound on without laying the line, it bunched up in the middle and he could no longer crank the reel as the line was hitting the frame of the reel!

Guest danielinbyron

Mate dont worry about guiding the line one, after a few fish it will become nature

re learning to guide line on best trick is to underspool your reel for a little while..,. just a day or so ... or alternatley .. practice preferably off a mates reel when you spool up... ie get a second rod reel .. put it in a rod holder..... put a little drag on it . and wind the line off of it on to yours.... watch how the line gets layed down rpt. process until comfortable.. better than a birdsnest or a jam from one sided overspool on a good day..+ something to do in this crap windy weather..

I have three TLD25's and one TLD20 all on Backbone rods. My advice is go for shimano equipment everytime.... you won't be disappointed.

A mate of mine uses a Trynos 30. It is a awesome reel but a little more pricey than the TLD25.

Okuma are good..... Shimano is BETTER!

Edited by njsconst

I have three TLD25's and one TLD20 all on Backbone rods. My advice is go for shimano equipment everytime.... you won't be disappointed.

A mate of mine uses a Trynos 30. It is a awesome reel but a little more pricey than the TLD25.

Okuma are good..... Shimano is BETTER!

Kabs if you wanna hold on a bit i will be selling one of my outfits.

Tyrnos 30 on a fully rollered backbone elite spooled with triline......for around $320 both are only 6 months old

Edited by netic

Guest danielinbyron

Kabs if you wanna hold on a bit i will be selling one of my outfits.

Tyrnos 30 on a fully rollered backbone elite spooled with triline......for around $320 both are only 6 months old

sounds like a good deal..