Radio Advice

Lasty

I am thinking of getting a radio for my boat and know absolutely nothing about them. What types of radios are there (is there a difference between a VHF radio and a 27meg radio?), what brands are good and what sort of price will I be looking at? Has anyone had any experience with hand held marine radios?

Edited by Lasty

I am thinking of getting a radio for my boat and know absolutely nothing about them. What types of radios are there (is there a difference between a VHF radio and a 27meg radio?), what brands are good and what sort of price will I be looking at? Has anyone had any experience with hand held marine radios?

Hi lasty, really theres 3 types for the average boaty mate;

1) 27 meg, great for close inshore and lake/harbour work where you may want to talk to other boats. it has limited range however(approx $160.00 with an Aerial)

2) VHF either handheld or boat mounted. Great for offshore work as they can operate on a repeater system giving huge range, downside is I believe you may require an operators license (someone correct me if Im wrong please) around $300.00 with an aerial.

3) UHF Handheld, for family communications and mates etc these are awesome. up on Lake Macquarie here I know of about 8 guys that have them and a 1 watt unit will give well over 6 ks range (mine has gotten 10)

Around $60-100 a pair with a charger.

Number 1 would be the most popular for the average boatie I would reckon. Also check your Marine authority regulations as you may be required ta have a VHF if going more than a specific distance offshore.

Cheers

GT

I've had and relied solely on a GME 27Meg radio for many years. Good line of sight range and not too pricey.

For safety reasons I recently upgraded to a GME VHF (Model MC535) radio. Great range and they are heaps clearer. The 27megs can be a bit scratchy. Mobile Phones loose reception about 10-15kms from the coast. With a VHF you can keep in contact with VMR / Coast Guard when out on the Shelf or Browns.

My advice would be, if you are going to fish purely in Bays, Harbours, Rivers then a 27meg would be adequate. However, if you plan on fishing offshore go for a VHF. Its a nice feeling when you are 40kms out to sea and can't see land or another boat, that help is only a call away.

All three radios on my boat are GME, but from what I've read the Navman range of radios sound very good (like the rest of their products). Navman radios are very $$$$$$ though. I got my GME VHF from Whitworths at Caringbah, paid $200 for the unit (was on special, RRP is $250) and $70 for the aerial. I run my Am/Fm radio off my VHF aerial via a splitter which cost an extra $49. But this is cheaper and saves the need to fix a third aerial to the boat.

Food for thought. Happy hunting.

Edited by njsconst

Can a VHF use the same channels as a 27meg. There are some Uniden handheld VHFs on E-bay for about $180.00. Also what about licences etc for VHF?

Hi Lasty, mate the 28 meg's dont have the same channels as the VHF's.

I bought one of those Unidens handheld's VHF's from ebay and they are crap, A handheld only has a maximum power outage of 5 watts where the boat based ones have 25 watts.

At 40 kilometres out to sea we cannot get in touch with the coastguard with the handheld, we tried the boat based one and had clear conversations with the coastgaurd.

If you are going to be doing any offshore fishing i would get the VHF boat based one.