Browns Mountain 17/9

Sammy0884

Hi Raiders,

time to share my fishing woes from the blue water...

The day started at 3.30am at my house, crazedfisherdude arrived at 4.10am and we started shovelling equipment into the new rig, however as we are about to head for the ramp i decide to check the electronics are all ok after a week of stuffing around with them, connecting the sounder and GPS revealed they had decided not to power up! so back inside to get wire, electrical tape and a multimeter... some tinkering later and we were on our way, albeit 30 minutes late.

The next stop was Fishfinder Bait and tackle, Tony was expecting me and greeted me by name upon arrival, i was then handed a box of super cheap pilchards with my name on them and a River2Sea bibless minnow that he had discounted and put away specifically for me, aswell as modifying a lure that i had bought from another shop to make it tuna ready (saturday had seen hooks being pulled straight) for FREE! i was absolutely impressed ! it is such a rarity to be bowled over with customer service, especially seeing as it didn't require me spending thousands of dollars to even get a hello! So get down there !!!

We finally made it to the ramp at Penhryn road to meet up with the third crew member 'Sea jay' and took our place in the line and prepared the boat for launch, there were lots of big trailer boats heading wide, i saw more game reels yesterday then i have ever seen before! the air was thick with anticipation! and some angry boaters who were forced to wait while one gentleman parked his trailer in the middle of both lanes and spent 15-20 minutes removing his new trailcraft from the trailer, it wasnt the best place to have your first go at launching a boat!

Finally we were in the water, we made a quick stop at the livie grounds to meet up with Netic and collect half a dozen big yakkas, i also caught an undersized flattie which was fun on the handline. We set the GPS for browns mountain via the 12 mile reef and made out way out at 25knots through the glassy conditions. We set the lures 5 NM west of browns and began to troll for not a single hit. We cut the motor 2 NM noth of browns and began the cube trail, burleying had as the current was screaming at 3 knots. We dropped the sea anchor to slow our drift and kept throwing out cubes as fast as we could cut them up. Two hours later, not a single run and approximately 6NM south of where we started we pulled in the lines and began another troll north, again for nothing! another two hours of heavy cubing side by side with Netic was fruitless and with the freshening NW wind we both decided to pull the pin and head back to Botany. Wind and and chop made the 90 minute ride back to the heads very wet and uncomfotable to say the least!

In summary, 8 blocks of pilchards, 12 hours on the water and another big ZERO for out third tuna trip in a row! i have clearly been spoilt by Billfishers charter! But all reports tell us that barely a reel turned out in the big blue on sunday!

Better luck next time i spose!

Sammy, I can feel the pain in your reports!!

A great new boat, a reportedly hot tuna bite, but no joy for you yet.

I won't offer you the regular platitudes, but I will say that every donut trip is another piece of experience under your belt and another step down the road to becoming a gun fisho. Sorry - I meant to say "becoming MORE of a gun fisho".

And, of course, I'm sure you're well aware that those big tune will eventually come.

Great to hear that you're out on the water though and having fun.

The fish are there boys!! They are coming on late in the afternoon. We were out there yesterday for an afternoon session but went a little south of browns and not as wide and hooked up on a fish but lost it about 10 - 15 mtrs under the boat. Fish was around the 30kg mark. Another boat out there same time as us got a tripple hook up and landed two of the fish around 30kg so dont despair they are there but you need to work hard for them and dont go heavy on the leader as they will shy away. We got the hook up on the lighter leader 60lb. Didnt get a sniff with the heavier leaders. You just hope that the big one doesnt come along and take the smaller gear. The current was another problem as we drifted practically to port kembla and had a long hall back to port hacking, the big fella upstairs must have been with us as i think we were running on fumes to make it back in the dark. A good arvo session anyway!!! Good to see that the fish are still there but i dont think for long, as the water temp is creeping up.

The fish are there boys!! They are coming on late in the afternoon. We were out there yesterday for an afternoon session but went a little south of browns and not as wide and hooked up on a fish but lost it about 10 - 15 mtrs under the boat. Fish was around the 30kg mark. Another boat out there same time as us got a tripple hook up and landed two of the fish around 30kg so dont despair they are there but you need to work hard for them and dont go heavy on the leader as they will shy away. We got the hook up on the lighter leader 60lb. Didnt get a sniff with the heavier leaders. You just hope that the big one doesnt come along and take the smaller gear. The current was another problem as we drifted practically to port kembla and had a long hall back to port hacking, the big fella upstairs must have been with us as i think we were running on fumes to make it back in the dark. A good arvo session anyway!!! Good to see that the fish are still there but i dont think for long, as the water temp is creeping up.

Hi Mate,

We were trying to hang out as late as we possibly could, aware that they come on at later afternoon, dusk even.. but i had to make the call given the way the wind was starting to puff, Browns Mountain is the last place you want to be in poor weather, especially a 5.25 tinny, and it was the first time i had been there in my own boat so safety got the nod.

Yeah, there was not a great deal happening out there... the water is awfully green at the moment. I believe this has been contributed by a heavy Northerly current which we are at the ass end of, hence copping all the crappy, dirty fishless water.

Hi mate, i heard people talking about the 'green water' and i didn't quite understand. What is the difference between 'blue' and 'green' water?

Was still a good day out on the water mate although it was fishless great company and a great radio got us threw anyways thats another donut browns trip under the belt for me now. When we gt onto them we must be going to get a few!!

Just wanted to say thanks to sammy for the trip and the Blue fin is a great rig and well decked out even though we got a bit wet the boat still handled the conditions well, but i definatly think we made the right call to head home when we did.

Bring on the Kings and the dollies!!

Thabks again mate

Iain

Thought i would add my little bit in.

Unfortunately the current was way too strong to get a good cube trail going, and as sammy said, the plan was to say out for till the evening but when the norwesta kicked in we had no choice to pull up the lines and head in, this was at around 2.00pm, probably when the fins were just going to start cooming on.

Thats my 5th trip this season and the first that i returned without anything.

But hey thats fishing

Anyway bring on this weekend, gonna try for Tuna saturday and kings on Sunday......

sam they are talking about the colour of the water. Deep cobalt blue waters are normally associated with high water temps and 'good' water. Personally I don't believe that the water colour has a huge bearing on a day's result's nor does water temps as opposed to actual temp changes. The actual water temp and the colour is irrelevant, its the changes in temp that are important. There are heaps of fish to be found in green and murky waters. If the current was running that hard I wouldn't have been cubing, the fish are still out there, just that the methods that were working the last few weeks are no longer ideal.

tough luck fella's but it will be a blood bath when you do get amongst them for sure.

how did the boat go fuel wise sammy?

The fuel was the scariest part brian, it took 63 litres for the whole day, few hours out, few hours driving, few hours back, covered somewhere around 140km at the very least! the boat was super heavy with almost 80kg of spare fuel, Full esky, full livie tank, 3 people and shit loads of tackle...

For those playing at home the motor is a 90hp Mariner/mercury Optimax

The fuel was the scariest part brian, it took 63 litres for the whole day, few hours out, few hours driving, few hours back, covered somewhere around 140km at the very least! the boat was super heavy with almost 80kg of spare fuel, Full esky, full livie tank, 3 people and shit loads of tackle...

For those playing at home the motor is a 90hp Mariner/mercury Optimax

shit i'd go through that much in an empty boat to the near fad and back :1yikes: thats fantastic economy mate :thumbup:

shit i'd go through that much in an empty boat to the near fad and back :1yikes: thats fantastic economy mate :thumbup:

thats the reason why i waited to find the right boat with the right motor, the only way i can have afford to run the boat is for it to have an economical motor. i think this motor uses less than my previous 50hp two stroke yammie...

Edited by Sammy0884