Georges River 20 Sep

stricko4

Hi Raiders,

A new memeber & my first post. Put in at GRNP ramp at about 10am. A late start I know but when you don't have to get up for work & it's the middle of the week why rush when you know there will be hardly a boat on the water. :wife: was at the helm as usual & we motored sedatley towards Lugarno & anchored in about 11feet of water in a nice spot that looked good for a few bream but even if there was nothting on the bite who cared, I wasn't sitting in an office. So we burleyed up & put some nippers on to see if we could manange to catch anything. A few bites & some lost bait & eventually a few nice sized bream showed up. Over a period of a few hours we managed to land 6 good looking bream ranging from 25 to 30cm. As usual the :wife: out fished me both in number of fish & variety but I was lucky enough to hook the biggest of the day while the rod was in the rod holder & I was tying a new leader becasue the :wife: had just been smoked by something that grabbed her prawn & took of like a rocket headed for Botany Bay. I recon it was something big as it snapped the 12lb leader in a couple of seconds as it took line at a rate of knots. In additon to the bream we landed a 27cm flathead a small flounder & a yakka that was about 20cm. All in all a great day even if it was a bit windy at times but as I said........ who cares cause I wasn't at work.

good stuff mate. bad luck about losing the fish on the 12lb gear.

i read about this alot on the forum but what i don t understand is how people are getting snapped.

you guys are obviously running your drag to tight, you should be running your drag to a third even a qauter of its breaking strength.

if there is reef and you really need to stop them you really need to up the line class.

just a thought James

good stuff mate. bad luck about losing the fish on the 12lb gear.

i read about this alot on the forum but what i don t understand is how people are getting snapped.

you guys are obviously running your drag to tight, you should be running your drag to a third even a qauter of its breaking strength.

if there is reef and you really need to stop them you really need to up the line class.

just a thought James

Thanks James,

As it happens she did have her drag set reasonable heavy so maybe your right. She allways tells me mine it set too light but I have never been snapped off like that. Then again it was the first time we have ever had a bait taken like thet too. She is loaded with 8lb braid & ususally runs a 12lb leader on a 6'6" Maple something rod. Nice light set up for a lady to handle & she usually does very well out fishing me on every trip but one. Any advice is always welcome tho & thnks.