Long Reef, And The Wreck!

Piss'n'Broke

Hey All

Over the last few weeks myself and my bro have been doing the sydney head to pittwater troll in our tinny for a BIG EL ZICHO. :1badmood::1badmood:

We have searched and searched for 'The Wreck' at Long Reef and have been unsuccessful at locating it,,,,,, :wacko::wacko: Sooo we were possibly wondering if anyone fishes it, and would kindly point us in the right direction??? We are not after specifics just a rough idea of where the wreck is? Afterall depending upon how far offshore it is, we maybe unable to reach it due to the size of the boat!

Many, Many thanks!

Dan an Greg

Hey All

Over the last few weeks myself and my bro have been doing the sydney head to pittwater troll in our tinny for a BIG EL ZICHO. :1badmood::1badmood:

We have searched and searched for 'The Wreck' at Long Reef and have been unsuccessful at locating it,,,,,, :wacko::wacko: Sooo we were possibly wondering if anyone fishes it, and would kindly point us in the right direction??? We are not after specifics just a rough idea of where the wreck is? Afterall depending upon how far offshore it is, we maybe unable to reach it due to the size of the boat!

Many, Many thanks!

Dan an Greg

Hi fellas,

I found this on another site. It states the wreck is a large barge, sunk in the 1980's.

I don't know if that's the wreck you are thinking of, but it probably is the one you mean.

Here's what it says, including GPS marks:

Hope this helps,

Pete.

To find the wreck, travel north 11.6 kilometres from Sydney Harbour till you are just past Long Reef but south of the normal shipwreck site. GPS marks of 33° 43' 40.6"S 151° 20' 58.8"E puts you on the wreck. The depth will be about 45 to 47 metres. The wreck is quite large, coming up to 41 metres.

Those marks are in Aus 66 Datum, they will need to be converted in order for them to put you in the right spot.

If you dont convert them you will be 250 metres approx of the wreck

would you be able to convert it netic im unable to do it.

There are heaps heaps better spots at long reef than the wrecks. Pretty sure it is the old dee why ferry and possibly another ship or two down there. There are fish on it, but there are better areas IMO.

C'mon Bashir! Let 1 or 2 slip mate. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

There are heaps heaps better spots at long reef than the wrecks. Pretty sure it is the old dee why ferry and possibly another ship or two down there. There are fish on it, but there are better areas IMO.

Here's a website that has ALL the wrecks listed as well as the AUS66 Datum GPS co-ords.

There are even pictures and history of each wreck...a good read.

http://www.michaelmcfadyenscuba.info/articles/nswwrex.htm

Cheers,

Pete.

dan and greg weren t looking for the best spot at long reef they were asking where the wrecks were.

most probably easier to access in a trailer boat than the wider parts of the reef

C'mon Bashir! Let 1 or 2 slip mate. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

I definately would but that aould mean driving down the road to where I keep the boat on another blokes property and plugging in the chartplotter. :1prop: Seriously I don't have many marks, I generally just potter around the 25m-30m mark and look for likely areas....